St Peter

I have been arguing with a Greek Orthodox friend about which is the true church. Now I brought up St Peter, who was the first pope but he goes on saying that St Peter was still a strict Jew, and cared very much about still keeping the tradtions. He also says that Orthodox means correct, for the reason that St Paul really established the church in the country and also the universal language at the time was Greek.

Now I trust you guys can give me a good answer because my friend is really annoying me!!!

[quote=DEESYPAL]I have been arguing with a Greek Orthodox friend about which is the true church. Now I brought up St Peter, who was the first pope but he goes on saying that St Peter was still a strict Jew, and cared very much about still keeping the tradtions. He also says that Orthodox means correct, for the reason that St Paul really established the church in the country and also the universal language at the time was Greek.

Now I trust you guys can give me a good answer because my friend is really annoying me!!!
[/quote]

Peter was still a strict Jew as were many of the Apostles until God showed them otherwise. This slow correction is shown in the Book of Acts.

The dictionary meaning of the word “orthodox” in engish does in fact mean correct.

The universal language was Greek until about 300 then Latin and finally English I believe can be said to be the universal language today.

You and your friend are both right - the Catholic and Greek Orthodox Churches are both “the true church”. The problem that needs to be overcome is that they are no longer in full communion with each other. To further the end of reunification, in your discussions with your Orthodox friend, seek out the many areas and issues where the two of you are in complete agreement, instead of focusing on the few topics where we differ.

[quote=DEESYPAL]He also says that Orthodox means correct…
[/quote]

Is he implying his Church is correct because of its name? That’s an interesting line of reasoning.

It reminds me of the time I asked a Baptist, “do you know who established the Baptist church?” And he answered (with all seriousness), “why, John the Baptist, of course.”:rotfl:

[quote=DEESYPAL]I have been arguing with a Greek Orthodox friend about which is the true church. Now I brought up St Peter, who was the first pope but he goes on saying that St Peter was still a strict Jew, and cared very much about still keeping the tradtions. He also says that Orthodox means correct, for the reason that St Paul really established the church in the country and also the universal language at the time was Greek.

[/quote]

The Greek Orthodox are generally not as poisonously anti-Catholic as the Balkan Orthodox Churches but, in my experience (family is Greek), I seem to be hearing more of this nonsense lately. I’ve even heard the Petros/petra argument, and been told that not only did Paul do more for the Church than Peter, but he was the first Pope because he was in Rome (never mind the Keys). :rolleyes: As for Peter’s being a strict Jew, how about this as a Scriptural corrective:

Acts 15:7

And after there had been much debate, Peter rose and said to them, “Brethren, you know that in the early days God made choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.”

St. Ignatius of Antioch, an Eastern saint, (1st century AD) acknowledged the Roman Primacy. (Introduction of his letter to the Romans)

St Irenaeus, bishop of Lyons (2nd century AD) acknowledger Rome’s “superior authority”:

[quote=St.Iranaeus]Because it would be too long in such a volume as this to enumerate the of all the churches, we point to the tradition of that very great and very ancient and universally known Church, which was founded and established at Rome, by the two most glorious Apostles, Peter and Paul: we point I say, to the tradition which this Church has from the Apostles, and to her faith proclaimed to men which comes down to our time through the succession of her bishops, and so we put to shame . . . all who assemble in unauthorized meetings. For with this Church, because of its superior authority, every Church must agree – that is the faithful everywhere – in communion with which Church the tradition of the Apostles has been always preserved by those who are everywhere
[/quote]

(taken from his work “Adversus Haereses” (3:3:2))

Roman emperor Aurelian acknowledged the primacy or Rome . According to the Catholic encyclopedia:

[quote=Catholic Encyclopedia, “The Pope”]Equally noteworthy is the action of Emperor Aurelian in 270. A synod of bishops had condemned Paul of Samosata, Patriarch of Alexandria, on a charge of heresy, and had elected Domnus bishop in his place. Paul refused to withdraw, and appeal was made to the civil power. The emperor decreed that he who was acknowledged by the bishops of Italy and the Bishop of Rome, must be recognized as rightful occupant of the see. The incident proves that even the pagans themselves knew well that communion with the Roman See was the essential mark of all Christian Churches. That the imperial Government was well aware of the position of the pope among Christians derives additional confirmation from the saying of St. Cyprian that Decius would have sooner heard of the proclamation of a rival emperor than of the election of a new pope to fill the place of the martyred Fabian (Ep. 55:9).
[/quote]

Look on more of the primacy of Rome here: newadvent.org/cathen/12260a.htm

Numerous other saints, eastern and western, have given testimony to the Supremacy of the Roman Pontiff.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.