St. Peter's bones and a curse?

Like many, I was captivated by Pope Francis having St. Peter's bones at Mass yesterday. However, almost all news articles I read mentioned a 1,000 year old curse??

"No Pope had ever permitted an exhaustive study, partly because a 1,000-year-old curse attested by secret and apocalyptic documents, threatened anyone who disturbed the peace of Peter's tomb with the worst possible misfortune," Bartoloni wrote.

Anyone have further info on this curse?

Never heard of it, nor was I told of it when I was in St Peters in Rome a few years ago.

The Lord did not appoint His Anointed Pope Francis to put a curse on him, as Catholics, we believe in the Lord and not, Satan and all that he stands for, Holy Water, and the Cross of Christ, that is why we put the sign of the Cross on ourselves,it for one protects us.

Personally to that curse you talk about - Humbug I say.

Sounds like superstition to me.

Sounds limit was take-in out of context if it is not totally made up

"No Pope had ever permitted an exhaustive study, partly because a 1,000-year-old curse *attested by secret and apocalyptic documents*, threatened anyone who disturbed the peace of Peter's tomb with the worst possible misfortune," Bartoloni wrote.

An internet search reveals no mention of this so-called "curse" except this guy's assertion. I guess these "secret and apocalyptic documents" are so secret that nobody has ever seen them.:rolleyes:

Sounds like somebody is just making stuff up to get attention.

No curse. I looked at several stories and they were either from the same source or obviously fed off it. My thinking is he made that up to show how the faith is little more than superstition, which is what being afraid of some stupid "curse" from who knows when would be. We are officially against superstition in fact.:mad:

[quote="punisherthunder, post:1, topic:346253"]
Like many, I was captivated by Pope Francis having St. Peter's bones at Mass yesterday. However, almost all news articles I read mentioned a 1,000 year old curse??

"No Pope had ever permitted an exhaustive study, partly because a 1,000-year-old curse attested by secret and apocalyptic documents, threatened anyone who disturbed the peace of Peter's tomb with the worst possible misfortune," Bartoloni wrote.

[/quote]

This is obviously something some newspaper or blog made up to get attention (I'm guessing CNN or Huffington Post). You just can't trust most of mainstream media for, well, anything. Remember how scores of innocent people were beaten up because the big newspapers had "reliable sources" that said people were involved in the Boston Marathon bombing? It's like that. The fact that they only refer to "secret documents", which they refuse to name, I'm gonna put my money on attention stunt.

"Curses" fall under superstition, which is explicitly condemned by the Catechism:
2111Superstition is the deviation of religious feeling and of the practices this feeling imposes. It can even affect the worship we offer the true God, e.g., when one attributes an importance in some way magical to certain practices otherwise lawful or necessary. To attribute the efficacy of prayers or of sacramental signs to their mere external performance, apart from the interior dispositions that they demand, is to fall into superstition.

If it's anything like the "curse of King Tut," I'd say there's not much to worry about.

Never heard of it...

[quote="agnes_therese, post:3, topic:346253"]
Sounds like superstition to me.

[/quote]

I met a woman the other day who left the Catholic Church because she encountered too much superstition. She said that people told her about 12 never-fail promises if you say such-and-such prayer or that this-and-that would happen if you wore some medal.

We would do well to leave nonsense about curses and such things alone and forget it. It is not part of revealed truth.

-Tim-

[/quote]

There is no curse. Its fiction.

[/quote]

Actually that is not true. The only reason why Peter's bones have never been thouroughly examined is that the RCC knows the truth.....that those are not the bones of Peter.

Because, and this is the most important....PETER WAS NEVER IN ROME.

Read the bible, it is clear that though Peter did visit Italy a few times, the places he visited were nowhere near Rome,

And Peter would never have disobeyed God and abandoned his apostolic mission to the JEWS and taken on a Gentile title of bishop.

Galatians 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we [should go] unto the heathen, *and they unto the circumcision. *

St. Peter would disagree with you. And considering taking your opinion over his statement, I’ll take St. Peter’s word over yours.

*1 Peter 5:13 The chosen one at Babylon sends you greeting, as does Mark, my son. *

Babylon is the code word the first Christians used for Rome.

Acts 1:15 During those days Peter stood up in the midst of the brothers (there was a group of about one hundred and twenty persons in the one place). He said, 16 My brothers, the scripture had to be fulfilled which the holy Spirit spoke beforehand through the mouth of David, concerning Judas, who was the guide for those who arrested Jesus. 17 He was numbered among us and was allotted a share in this ministry. 18 He bought a parcel of land with the wages of his iniquity, and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle, and all his insides spilled out. 19 This became known to everyone who lived in Jerusalem, so that the parcel of land was called in their language ‘Akeldama,’ that is, Field of Blood. 20 For it is written in the Book of Psalms:
‘Let his encampment become desolate, and may no one dwell in it.’ And: ‘May another take his office.’

The word “office” is actually bishoprick (episcopatum) in the KJV. And you do know that there were Jews in Rome, right? Quite a large contingent in fact.

You are misinformed:

The Bible says that Peter wasn’t in Rome. So how could he be its first bishop?

Was Peter in Rome?

A little education goes a long way. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

This sounds like the subject of a new Dan Brown novel. :)

It’s just an old story. When the old St. Peter’s was destroyed to make way for the new one in the 16th century and some of the tombs in the necropolis underneath was discovered, some people began to spread rumors about these pagan tombs being cursed or something, which combined with a general respect for the dead hampered any serious archaeological investigation of the tombs at that time. Construction simply continued with the graves being reburied and ignored. Which is why the necropolis and St. Peter’s tomb was only properly dug up and studied when they were rediscovered in the 20th century.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.