St peter's square has pagan symbols?

i read on the internet that the Catholic Church uses the Buddhist Eightfold Path of Enlightenment wheel in our decortations of churches, and in the very center of St Peter’s square. I found some pictures of the buddhist wheel, and pictures of church windows and st peter’s square. i have to say, it does look similar. is this website’s claim true? please help, thanks and God bless.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/djholt2/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/ZNQLH3J4/Wheel-of-Dhamma%5B1%5D.gif
BUDDHIST WHEEL

http://www.arch.montana.edu/classes/arch323/High%20Baroque/St.%20Peters/St.%20Peters%20Square.JPG
ST PETER’S SQUARE

Oh sure UK…Catholics are nothing but disguised Buddhists and the Pope is the Dalai Lama!

Who cares what it looks like? It’s art not pagan symbology. Why do you listen to idiotic trash like that? Are ya long on time and short on good things to learn…like the Catechism?

Criminy!!!

How the heck did Michaelangelo and the other vatican designers know what the heck Buddisht Symbols looked like they never went outside of Europe and where never exposed to eastern religions. Europeans thought the East so mysterious they didn’t believe Marco Polo’s adverntures.

remember amigos:

some people have the wise of ages in there hands they are not catholic because they find out that st. Peter square was build on top of a burried UFO, they know buddist simbols because they had the internet centuries ago and the vatican made a deal with steven Hawkings (who is an alien) to let the world have internet.

(YOU LILL FIND MANY, MANY SILLY STORIES ABOUT CATHOLISISM IN FILMS AND IN PERSON, HAVE FUN WITH THEM AND FORGET THEM BECAUSE THEY WANT TO POISON YOUR MIND, NO MATTER HOW SILLY AND STUPID THE STORY SOUNDS)

Hi,

YES! There are pagan symbols everywhere all over Rome. In front of churches. The Catholic Christianized them. The pagan symbol, “The Obelisk” in front of St Peters, (you can see it in the picture the tall column) has a piece of the True Cross in it. Christmas was a Pagon holiday.

Thanks to our Protestant American culture Christmas is being taken back over by Pagons.

John

[quote=john654]Hi,

YES! There are pagan symbols everywhere all over Rome. In front of churches. The Catholic Christianized them. The pagan symbol, “The Obelisk” in front of St Peters, (you can see it in the picture the tall column) has a piece of the True Cross in it. Christmas was a Pagon holiday.

Thanks to our Protestant American culture Christmas is being taken back over by Pagons.

John
[/quote]

I don’t see that Christmas is being taken back over by the Pagaans in America because of the Protestants. I do recognize that it is becoming more secularized. Where is the proof that it is the Protestant American culture that is doing this. Please, don’t make such sweeping generalizations. Did the Catholic Church make Nicholas(Later known as Santa Clause) into a saint. Or do they just call Santa Claus St. Nick for nothing. I think there are many different reasons for the secularzation of Christmas such as companies wanting to make a profit. Or an attempt by others to detract from the meaning of the day by trivializing it.

It’s just simple geometry. Take a circle. Divide it into eight segments. I’m sure it has been done indepenently in many designs throughout the world. The Bhuddists don’t have a monopoly on the idea.

It’s really hard to imagine secret Bhuddist influences affecting 16th century Catholic architecture in Rome. Even harder to imagine that it happened and nobody remarked on it at the time.

Perhaps you should look at it the way many Church Fathers and modern theologians do.

The very nature of the Incarnation was God coming to us in the world; that means He came into our physical matter, our habits, our customs, our philosophy, our art, architecture, etc.

Early Church fathers noted with reverence that the [pagan] poetry of Vergil foreshadowed the birth of Christ because the whole earth yearned for redemption.

When a worldly thing is taken up into Catholicism, some might propose that the thing becomes sanctified. This is yet another manifestation of Incarnation in our everyday life.

Just my thoughts. I could be wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.