St. Polycarp - Proof against Catholicism?

This is a thread based on a subject started by BH in a different thread.

The question is, can we find evidence that the Catholic Church has become apostate by examining the early Christian martyr St. Polycarp?

I’l start of with this quote:

When St. Polycarp was Bishop of Smyrna, around 110 A.D., St. Ignatius of Antioch was under guard being taken to Rome where he was to be martyred. On his way there, he wrote seven letters, one being addressed to the Christians at Smyrna (where Polycarp was bishop). In this letter he writes, “Wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.” This is the earliest use of the term “Catholic” that we have in ancient writings. It is interesting that it is a man of Antioch who first writes the term Catholic Church. This is because it was also at Antioch that the followers of Jesus were for the first time called “Christians.” (Acts 11,26)

I see nothing in the paragraph you cited that in any way indicates apostacy on the part of the Church. Can you provide us with one that Protestants use to try to make that point? Otherwise, I can see nothing here to discuss. :confused:

Sorry. I should have been more clear. You’re right. I see that my first post is confusing.

My quote establishes that St. Polycarp was “Catholic”. I’m waiting for BH to show us his quotes from St. Polycarp that illustrate that today our Church has strayed from the Church of Polycarp’s day and can no longer claim to be the True Church.

What a coincidence! Today is the feastday of St Polycarp in the Byzantine Catholic Church!

Troparion of St. Polycarp Tone 4
Thy name was verified by thy works,/ O wise Hieromartyr Polycarp./ Thou wast a fruitful olive tree in the house of the Lord,/ and dost nourish the Church with the spiritual bounty of thy words and deeds./ Thou dost intercede for our souls, O hierarch and steadfast Prize-winner.

Kontakion of St. Polycarp Tone 1
Through thy virtues, O wise Polycarp,/ thou dost offer spiritual fruits to the Lord and prove to be God’s worthy Hierarch./ We who have been enlightened by thy words/ today praise thy memory and glorify God.

[quote=Mickey]What a coincidence! Today is the feastday of St Polycarp in the Byzantine Catholic Church!

Troparion of St. Polycarp Tone 4
Thy name was verified by thy works,/ O wise Hieromartyr Polycarp./ Thou wast a fruitful olive tree in the house of the Lord,/ and dost nourish the Church with the spiritual bounty of thy words and deeds./ Thou dost intercede for our souls, O hierarch and steadfast Prize-winner.

Kontakion of St. Polycarp Tone 1
Through thy virtues, O wise Polycarp,/ thou dost offer spiritual fruits to the Lord and prove to be God’s worthy Hierarch./ We who have been enlightened by thy words/ today praise thy memory and glorify God.
[/quote]

How fitting! Not much happening here yet though.

BrianH, can you please elaborate on what you posted in the “Question for Protestants” thread:

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a sustained thread comparing Polycarp to current RC belief.

:whistle:

Dear BrianH;

I would also like to discuss the “Polycarp was Protestant” argument. Can’t wait to see it.

… Bump Bump… :whistle:

http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif

BUMP

Eden,
Your nagging. You tell me to start a thread, I do not do it fast enough so you do, and then you get impatienct when I do not reply fast enough.
I will do Polycarp when I can do it right, Im trying.
By the way Robert I never said he was a Protestant, You are seriously reading too much into this man.
I will do it.
I PROMISE
Dont nag though. I get enough of that.
BH

[quote=BrianH]Eden,
Your nagging. You tell me to start a thread, I do not do it fast enough so you do, and then you get impatienct when I do not reply fast enough.
I will do Polycarp when I can do it right, Im trying.
By the way Robert I never said he was a Protestant, You are seriously reading too much into this man.
I will do it.
I PROMISE
Dont nag though. I get enough of that.
BH
[/quote]

I can accept that you are not prepared but please do not attack me for starting a thread. You stated you would love to discuss Polycarp. I decided to get the ball rolling. If you’d like we can let this thread fizzle and you can start your own thread on Polycarp when you are ready.

As the one who started the previous thread that you reference, I too anxiously opened this thread…thank you Eden. BrianH take your time…in the meantime, I see the possibility of a good discussion here. Any Protestants have any thoughts on this ?

[quote=BrianH]Eden,
BH
[/quote]

Just a little apologist humor. :smiley: Sorry if it came off wrong. Seriously, though. I would like to see your support for the contention that Polycarp’s understanding of christianity was different from the teachings of the Catholic Church. In your own good time… :thumbsup:

Apparently, noone wants to touch this one…

WOW…my last post was two days ago, and STILL noone has touched this one. I guess Cardinal Newmann was right…“to become deep in history is to cease to be Protestant”.

I actually just read Polycarps letter and his martyrdom. There is nothing in there that can even be manipulated to be against Catholicism. But he does call the Church the Catholic Church. He also tells the people to treat the bishops as you would treat Christ. In his martyrdom it says that they gathered up his bones for a memorial of the saint. Yearly memorials are mentioned in this. And also relics. Seems Catholic.

[quote=jimmy]I actually just read Polycarps letter and his martyrdom. There is nothing in there that can even be manipulated to be against Catholicism. But he does call the Church the Catholic Church. He also tells the people to treat the bishops as you would treat Christ. In his martyrdom it says that they gathered up his bones for a memorial of the saint. Yearly memorials are mentioned in this. And also relics. Seems Catholic.
[/quote]

That’s why we are still waiting, I suppose. :whistle:

Im a little surprised actually. There is alot of argument about “what the early christians believed” between Protestants and Catholics. I thought for sure this thing would be on fire. What do you say Eden…keep waiting or let this one fizzle ?

I think it’s going to fizzle, after seeing how the “House Churches” thread ended. :frowning:

That’s OK, I think there is alot going on in the thread I started. Nice to see you there btw.

[quote=joshua_b]That’s OK, I think there is alot going on in the thread I started.
[/quote]

Is there? I hadn’t noticed. :rotfl:

Nice to see you there btw.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.