St rita

I just wanted to know what you think about St Rita. What do you think were the most important aspects of her life? Do you regard her as one of your patrons… and why?

I purchased a nice old statue of St Rita when I saw her statue for sale in an antique shop in Liege, Belgium, last year. I later noticed that she had a strong following in many of the churches I visited in Europe, especially in Rome. I only know a bit about her but I feel a bit guilty that I’ve neglected her despite the fact that I have her statue in the house… and I want to correct that.

Thanks,

Rove

Hi, I’m Jude and my mother’s name is Rita. Nice to see you start this thread. I’m a father of three daughters and we belong to India. My mother has a picture of St. Rita and no statue. She’s quite a popular saint in India and St. Rita’s novenas are offered in many parishes here.
I read a brief life story of hers in a book “Saints companions for each day” which I bought many years ago and read everyday after the daily readings. You may go to the Catholic Encyclopaedia to go through her life and miracles. The most memorable miracle was the manner in which she was taken into the chapel of the convent that she wanted to join, by three saints in the middle of the night. The sisters found her there the next morning and the Superior had to believe her and admit her into the convent when she found that the doors were locked as securely as ever.
She had to suffer much at the hands of her wayward husband and later her son too went his way. It was after their deaths that she joined the convent so miraculously. And she is the patron saint for desperate and suffering people.

I once prayed to St Rita about something and her intercession really helped :thumbsup:

she can really help in situations that seem impossible to come out of.

I saw the movie about her, “Rita”, on EWTN. They changed a couple things, for example she wanted to be a nun, not a wife, but married to be obedient to her parents. In the movie, she wants to be a wife from the start. However, one thing I liked about it is how she was consistently kind with everyone even when they were horrible to her. She’s a great example of “loving your enemy” and forgiveness… and when her sons wanted to commit murder to avenge their fathers’ death, she saw the danger that holds for their souls and prayed for them a lot.

and then after the tragic death of all her family, she enters a convent, and as Jude said, is transported there by 3 saints miraculously :slight_smile:

the only ‘controversy’ about her is that there’s some debate about her husband. Some say he was abusive towards her, some say he was not. We dont’ really know… but it does sure sound that there were difficulties for her at home, and that he had a bad temper.

She was also really devoted to the Passion and received the stigmata as a nun:

Sister Rita had a great devotion to the Passion of Christ. “Please let me suffer like you, Divine Saviour,” she said one day, and suddenly one of the thorns from the crucifix struck her on the forehead. It left a deep wound which did not heal and which caused her much suffering for the rest of her life. She died on May 22, 1457. She is the patroness of impossible cases. Her feast day is May 22.

if you have a statue of her, you might see a little mark on her forehead?

this article is actually pretty accurate:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_of_Cascia

God bless!

Thank you Jude and Monica for your thoughtful comments and for sharing your knowledge about St Rita. I didn’t know she was the patron for desperate and suffering people and situations.

Yes the statue does show a little red injury on one side of her forehead!

God Bless,

Rove

Hi Rove. I really didn’t know much about St. Rita… until I saw the film on her life (link below). It’s a pretty good film. She suffered a LOT, that’s for sure.

I think she is a marvelous role model… especially for women AND men in difficult marriages. Here is the link for the film. God bless you!

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/SAINT+RITA+FEATURE+FILM+DVD/keywords=St+Rita/page_no=1/edp_no=16257/shop.axd/ProductDetails

a generation or two ago St. Rita was one of the most popular saints of the Church and one of the most common names for Catholic girls. I think everyone in my parent’s generation had a Rita in the family, and most Catholic churches had her statue, along with Mary, St. Jude and St. Francis, as well as their patron saints. I think she was invoked very much for problem pregnancies and similar situations, as I know several Rita’s who were so named because their mothers delivered healthy babies in spite of having difficulties. She is another saint often depicted with roses, I think. I thought the biography on EWTN was great and will purchase the DVD for use in the parish in our saint’s series for Lent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.