St. Stephen

I hope I'm asking this in the correct area, Why is St. Stephen celebrated during Advent? He died after Christ, becoming the first martyr of the church. I would have thought after Lent would have been more appropriate. I love that he was Deacon.

[quote="twoshoes, post:1, topic:309474"]
I hope I'm asking this in the correct area, Why is St. Stephen celebrated during Advent? He died after Christ, becoming the first martyr of the church. I would have thought after Lent would have been more appropriate. I love that he was Deacon.

[/quote]

St. Stephen's feast is celebrated during the Christmas season, not Advent. (At least that is the case for Western Christians.)

Most feast days for martyrs are celebrated on what is thought to be the anniversary of their death. I presume that December 26th is that date.

Isn't his feat day today? It isn't during Advent.

[quote="SMHW, post:2, topic:309474"]
St. Stephen's feast is celebrated during the Christmas season, not Advent. (At least that is the case for Western Christians.)

Most feast days for martyrs are celebrated on what is thought to be the anniversary of their death. I presume that December 26th is that date.

[/quote]

December 26th(today) is St. Stephen's feast day. :):)

[quote="SMHW, post:2, topic:309474"]

[/quote]

Thank you

I hope you did not forget to roll walnuts at your Grandmother's feet. Today is St. Stephen's Day. May God Bless!!!

Today, 26 December, was the first of the three days that make up the Christmas Triduum, i.e., the three feasts that appear immediately after the Nativity of Our Lord. They were placed there for theological, rather than historical, reasons.

The 26th is the feast of St. Stephen the Protomartyr because St. Stephen was the first to willingly offer up his life for Our Lord.

The 27th is the feast of St. John the Apostle and Evangelist because St. John, "the disciple whom Jesus loved" and the one to whom Our Lord entrusted His Blessed Mother, wrote about the Incarnation in his gospel. The first 14 verses of the gospel of St. John, which make up the "last gospel" at EF Masses, testify that THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH AND DWELT AMONG US (John 1:14). This is, in a nutshell, the reason for the Christmas season.

The 28th is the feast of the Holy Innocents because these infants were the first to suffer and die for Our Lord.

The Feast of St. Stephen reminds that the world has repeatedly resisted the Incarnate Word and His followers even unto martyrdom and commemorates the Heavenly birthday of the protomartyr after the earthly birthday of Our Lord. There is a certain exchange as He came here to die for us and the martyrs leave here by dying for Him. This is relevant contemporarily as Pope Benedict XVI has called Christians the most persecuted group in the world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.