St. Theresa's Prayer

I have received a lovely prayer attributed to St. Theresa on several occasions from friends on the internet. I would like to know whether this prayer was actually written by St. Theresa, and if so, which one? The prayer is:

May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be confident, knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.

I would appreciate anyone who could shed some authoritative light on this subject!

Thank you.
MarilynZF:rolleyes:

That dosen’t sound like prayer to me. Sounds more like well wishing.

Hi MarilynZF,

I have seen this circulating over the internet like a chain letter. It was not composed by Saint Therese. It looks like a “New Age” prayer. I did a google search and found this: net-abbey.org/teresa-prayer-not.htm

I hope that helps… :)… and Welcome to the Forums!

Therese

Thank you so much for the rapid responses! The text actually did remind me of Desiderata somewhat, which, although I have not researched it, I believe was inspired by new age or hippie culture. I am new on this spiritual journey, having attended Catholic Mass for about five weeks and RCIA class twice. It is a wonderful experience. Thank you for helping me to understand why this passage is not a prayer.
Sincerely,
MarilynZF:)

I am so happy for you! :bounce: I will remember you in my prayers as you journey into the Catholic church! God bless you! ~Therese

Thank you Therese. God be with you.
Marilyn

I find it sad that he misses that our highest self is God…that spark of him that dwells within all of us :frowning:

Regardless of whether it was written by St Theresa or not, I still think it is a nice prayer.

I can see this as an intercession for someone else. The sentiments are not in themselves contrary to faith, and can certainly be interpreted in a traditional Christian (east or west) manner.

I, too, have received this prayer attributed to my patron saint, St. Therese. It wasn’t written by the saint. Notice the wording of the prayer is very contemporary. Giving your “soul the freedom” to do anything other than return love for His love is outside of St. Therese’s ideals. This is definitely a contemporary author.

My favorite prayer was written by St. Teresa of Avila (St. Therese’s patron saint) who lived in the 16th century:

Let nothing disturb thee. (Nada te turbe)
Let nothing frighten thee. (Nada te espante)
All things pass away. (Todo se pasa)
God never changes. (Dios no se muda)
Patience attains all things. (La paciencia todo lo alcanza)
He who has God lacks nothing. (Quien a Dios tiene nada le falta)
God alone suffices. (Solo Dios basta)

I highly recommend it :thumbsup: Maybe we should start an email chain with this prayer on it – but it would probably come back around to me with sparkly unicorns, threats of bad luck if people don’t send it on, and being attributed to Abraham Lincoln or Maya Angelou, or one of the Obama girls…

Gertie

In your signature line you have a misspelling “err” should be “hair”.:smiley:

:shamrock: A friend of mine forwarded that passage last week noting that it was written by Mother Teresa with St. Teresa of Avila's photo attached. I searched the internet for some answers and I came up with three authors, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Teresa of Avila and Mother Teresa of Calcutta. This I would like to pass to all of you that Blessed Mother Teresa did not author it as confirmed by Sr. M. Annaleah, MC from the Mother Teresa Center www.motherteresa.org motherteresa.org/08_info/Quotesf.html#1

Hope this helps. Congratulations MarilynZF! God bless you! :shamrock:

Thank you for your assistance, Felixculpa! I've been attending St. Thomas Aquinas CC in my town for over a year now, and both my husband and I are in RCIA. I joined RCIA last year too late in the season, AND I have an annulment to obtain. My husband does as well. Therefore, it will be a "while" until I'm a "real" Catholic (Is there really any other kind?), meaning that I will be confirmed and at last receive the eucharist and enjoy full fellowship with the saints and Christians of the true church. This journey has been spectacular so far, and it gets more wonderful every day.
Love in Christ,
MarilynZF :)

*** I wanted to respond to your message, Gertie! I know this is a ‘thread’ from 2009 but I liked your response and especially Saint Teresa of Avila’s prayer and your humorous thought about why it might be best not to send it in an email chain.
My favorite saint, by the way, is St. Thérèse of Lisieux. I am currently reading a newer translation of her autobiography.
Anne

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.