St. Therese Sacrifice Beads

I went to my local religious store, and I found this bracelet called St. Therese Sacrifice Beads. The card that came with it says:

“As a child, St. Theresa was given a string of beads with which to count her sacrifices and other acts of love done for God. In that way she was able to advance in perfection daily by conscious effect to eliminate defects and to acquire virtues. You too, can grow in holiness by following the example of the Little Flower. Simply pull a bead each time you make an act of love or sacrifice for the love of God.”

Has anyone ever heard of this before? I really like wearing my sacrifice beads.

-Jeanne

I’ve heard of them and think it is a great way to keep holy.

Hi Jeanne :wave: Yes, I too have a string of St. Therese Sacrifice beads. It is a short, straight string <not looped, like a rosary and not long enough to wear> and the beads move along the length of the cord; the idea being, to pull one bead UP for each sacrifice you make during the day. So you can keep count.

St. Therese herself, had a similar string of sacrifice beads… as a child. She talks about them, in her autobiography “The Story of a Soul”. That’s where the idea came from. My string has a St. Therese medal on one end and a crucifix on the other end. The original, owned by St. Therese… had just the crucifix.

Hope this helps. God bless.

I also have some. I got mine through the “Leaflet Missal” catalog. Problem is, I always forget to have it handy when I could use it. But it does make a point. Somethings we have to leave up to God to do. It’s knowing the difference that’s hard.

In fourth grade we were all given the sacrifice beads and they were pinned to inconspicuous places on our uniforms (like the pockets) during Lent. We didn’t count the good deeds we did, though, but every time we sinned against a particular virtue we picked for that week. Mine went up AND down a lot! :eek:

I modefied mine to make a braclet by adding more cord. I like wearing it, it’s a reminder to always to the right thing. Just like the Little Flower, I do the small things I can to bring Glory to God.

-Jeanne

I am glad I read this post. I have a family member with a special devotion to the Little Flower. I know she’ll be excited to receive these beads!

I didn’t know about these. I have just gotton to know st. Therese and am reading her autobiography, I am going to look on line to see if I can order some for me. This is perfect for Lent!!
Blessings,
Eli

If you can’t find them in time for Lent.

Wear clothes with pockets. Take 10 pennies, rocks or the like, put them in one pocket. Each time you do something, move one penny, rock or whatever to the other pocket.

Check for them at your nearest Catholic Store. I know we carry them.:thumbsup:

I received a strand of Sacrifice Beads as part of the package for a Spiritual Growth/Bible Study I’m participating in. They are a wonderful tool to increase prayer life and are an amazing aid in resisting temptation. Like others have mentioned, I find that when they’re not nearby I forget and am not as faithful in my offering up of sacrifices. Fortunately, I discovered that you can purchase Sacrifice Beads Bracelets. I just stumbled upon these tonight. Just do a web search for “sacrifice beads bracelet” and you’ll find sites where you can purchase these. Now I’ll have a constant reminder on my wrist at all times!

I rigged my strand up with some elastic, so I wear a bracelet too!

-Jeanne

If you are interested in being able to wear your sacrifice beads you might check out the www.gooddeedbeads.com They have an entire line of sacrifice bead bracelets so you are never without your beads!

I make a string of Sacrifice Beads using painted wooden beads, rosary cord, bronze antique reproduction medals (St Therese and Crucifix). I attach them to my belt loop with a bronze claw. I like that they are close to my hands for easy use for sacrifices or to double as a one decade rosary.

I am so glad I read this thread. It never occurred to me to make them for a bracelet. (even though I already make rosary bracelets!) It also never occurred to me to make them into a necklace. Both ideas are very very good! I will begin making these designs very soon. I have found that many people have a great devotion to St Therese and therefore people are very pleased to find sacrifice beads that are both useful and beautiful!

Here is the link for the beads I currently make. Look for bracelets and necklaces to come!

etsy.com/listing/58656437/st-therese-sacrifice-beads-one-decade

You can also find them by searching for GracefulRosaries.com

Best wishes everyone!

I've heard that St. Therese did this, but I never knew that such things were sold. It sounds like an excellent way to increase your devotion to God.

You may also be interested in wearing the sacrifice beads. I began making them about 6 years ago as an answer my own need to focus only on the little tasks that lay directly.in front of me. I could not keep a chaplet with me, as I often do not wear pockets, so after many failed attempts I found all the materials to make them sturdy enough to withstand constant wear. I find the bracelets to be an essential tool for my spiritual life on those days I am really struggling. It keeps me from despair when I can see that I am doing all I can with the little choices I have been given and leaving all the rest in Christs’ arms. If you would.like to.learn.more my site is
www.gooddeedbeads.com

[quote="jeanne71350, post:1, topic:145321"]
I went to my local religious store, and I found this bracelet called St. Therese Sacrifice Beads. The card that came with it says:

"As a child, St. Theresa was given a string of beads with which to count her sacrifices and other acts of love done for God. In that way she was able to advance in perfection daily by conscious effect to eliminate defects and to acquire virtues. You too, can grow in holiness by following the example of the Little Flower. Simply pull a bead each time you make an act of love or sacrifice for the love of God."

Has anyone ever heard of this before? I really like wearing my sacrifice beads.

-Jeanne

[/quote]

i think i read about her having those beads...

don't forget that you can offer your sacrifices up for the holy souls in purgatory, the dying, the sick, babies in danger of dying through abortion, an inbrease of vocations to the priesthood and reigious life, conversion of sinners and for more people of other religions to come to god through the catholic faith in every country..the list is endless...have fun using your beads

god bless you:thumbsup:

In response to this discussion I am now offering Sacrifice bead bracelets, and Sacrifice beads on a Toggle clasp (you can attach them to a belt loop or purse).

I use antique reproduction medals so they are very beautiful! Find them at this link....

etsy.com/shop/GracefulRosaries?section_id=7882876

My sacrifice beads necklace is coming soon!

---Mary
Graceful Rosaries

This was a favorite devotion when I was a child.Our teacher in Catholic elementary school taught our class to make them. I remember that we used recycled beads from broken rosaries. Through the years, St. Therese has been especially helpful to me.Several years ago I made some to give away, with 8mm wooden beads, something like this:
thelittleways.com/how-to-make-sacrifice-beads

wholesale jewelry | jewelry manufacturer

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.