St. Valentine Novena

If anyone would like to start a novena to St. Valentine, and have his feast day be the last day of the novena, today is the day to start. Does anybody know a formal novena to him? I have searched everywhere and cannot find one.

Good idea. I too would be interested in a St Valentine novena - I will do some digging and see if I can find one

awesome… thanks for the reminder!!!

Has anyone found a “St. Valentine” novena?

I’d love to do one myself, but I haven’t been able to find any online… :frowning:

Or any recommendations on another novena that may be appropriate?

Here’s a nice prayer that you can turn into a novena:

“O glorious advocate and protector, St Valentine,
look with pity upon our wants,
hear our requests,
attend to our prayers,
relieve by your intercession the miseries
under which we labour,
and obtain for us the divine blessing,
that we may be found worthy to join you
in praising the Almighty for all
eternity: through the merits of
Our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.”

Or just do what I do when I can’t find a formal novena - say a decade of the Rosary daily in honour of St Valentine and for whatever intentions you want to make :yup:

I found this prayer the other day and remembered this thread. I know it’s late to start a novena to end on Valentine’s day, but one could start a novena on Valentine’s day instead.

A PRAYER TO ST. VALENTINE
Dear Saint and glorious martyr; Teach us to love unselfishly and to find great joy in giving. Enable all true lovers to bring out the best in each other in God and in God in each other.
LOVE
Love is Patient and Kind,
It doesn’t envy or Boast and it’s never proud,
Love is not rude or selfish,
It doesn’t get angry easily or keep track of wrongs.
Love doesn’t delight in bad things
But it rejoices in the truth.
Love always protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres.
Love never fails.
— St. Paul to the Corinthians

source

i want to start today

I think this needs to be resurrected now :slight_smile:

I just discovered a few days ago that a dear friend of mine’s husband just left her. She is a devoutly Catholic woman, very outgoing and fun to be with. She is also homeschooling two teenage girls. We are all in shock. And it reminded me of all the people that come to this forum looking for help with their difficult marriages. I think we should offer the novena especially for those in troubled marriages and those who have separated or divorced.

I am praying for my friend in particular, that her husband will show up on her doorstep on Valentine’s day with perhaps a dozen red roses, perhaps a diamond necklace, perhaps travel plans for a second honeymoon to spend some time together and get their marriage back on its feet, and best of all, a genuinely repentant heart.

The novena starts on Feb 5 if anyone wants to participate.

Thank you for the reminder and what a beautiful thought about praying for your friend!

I will this year. At the moment, I am smitten with a girl, but this may be tragic for a number of reasons in the end. :frowning: I suppose I will be praying for peace, not for “finding” as I otherwise would.

So with the prayers listed above which one do way pray? Take our pick?

You can pick either. Or say them both! :smiley:

I am starting a novena to Our Lady of Lourdes on Tuesday. Sometimes there are so many feast days so close together that it is hard to acknowledge them all!

So we pray the rosary for nine days, and then say those prayers? I’m confused. :stuck_out_tongue: I would like to pray it, one of my friends is going through a divorce and I would like to support her. We are going to Vegas next month to see Brad Paisley, and I know we will need SOMEONE to keep us safe. :slight_smile: I know this Valentine’s Day will be very hard for her.

St. Valentine Novena
Novena: February 5 - 13
Feast Day: February 14

Prayer to St. Valentine

Almighty God, grant we beseech You,
that we who celebrate the glorious martyrdom of St. Valentine, Your
servant, may by his intercession be filled with the love of God and
neighbor and be delivered from all the evils that threaten us.

We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Amen.

This is the prayer being said during the Novena at the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy.
thedivinemercy.org/shrine/novenas/prayers/prayer.php?nid=37

Thank you Sugar, for your clarity :)))

Well I don’t do novenas buuut… I liked this one. :smiley: It seems to best reflect the romanticism of St. Valentine’s day (well better than the other ones here that alienate me >_>;; )

Now if you’ll excuse me, this little emo’s gonna go sulk over there in the corner now. T_T

Traditionally, a novena is a prayer said once a month for nine months, but I have also seen it performed once a week for nine weeks or daily for nine days. They can be prayers in devotion to a specific saint or for intercession for a specific need. Novenas are powerful, I have seen lives change in the process of praying a novena.

Hello all!

1. Chevalier-- you stole my username! Chevalier is the one I use on most sites.
  2. Let’s all pray for the couple AnnaTherese mentioned.
  3. I liked the novena submissions so much I decided to combine my favorite elements into one. So here it is, for private use:

O Saint Valentine, holy priest and glorious martyr; teach us to love God an unselfishly and to find great joy in giving. Enable all true lovers to bring out the best in each other and see God in each other.

Look with pity upon our wants; hear our requests; attend to our prayers; especially the favors we now request (mention special intentions here)

Relieve by your intercession the miseries under which we labor, deliver us from all the evils that threaten us, and obtain for us the divine blessing, that we may be found worthy to join you in praising the Almighty for all eternity: through the merits of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

C.

i’m so happy to go somewhere it’s still called SAINT Valentie’s Day!

last year i said something to a few Catholic moms about Saint Valentine’s day and one of them was taken aback by the SAINT part. she had to wrack her brains trying to recall when, in some dark age religion class, she had heard he was a SAINT.

so, yeah. let’s pray that novena!! let’s take back the SAINT in Saint Valentine’s Day!!! (or some other such equally inspiring and rallying battle cry… OK?) (or … not…)

THE original novena, of course, was the nine days the Apostles spent praying in the upper room between the Ascension and Pentecost. So I’d reckon the daily novena for nine days would be the original tradition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.