Stable or Cave?

[INDENT][/INDENT]Was Jesus born in a stable, or in what I’ve heard in recent years, a cave? I Googled it and it said that early tradition said it was a cave.
My devotional, Jesus Calling, mentions a stable.

Now objected the possibility of it happening in a home…sigh.

Both, a stable that was in a cave. :slight_smile:

Were stables IN caves?

Does it make a difference? Scripture has a liberal meaning, but the spiritual meaning is also very important.

Peace and all good!

The caves were in the stables, of course. :smiley:

It doesnt make any difference, I just want to know. So the Scriptural word isnt definite?

:slight_smile:

Nope probably not definite…also, for example, St Johseph might have been a stone mason or some such thing…or both. The Greek word is Tekton which is a worker in hard materials, but I digress, which is not uncommon for me.

lol

I think it was a cave of sorts, or grotto, but it was also a stable. (both / and)

A

Until this thread I never heard of a stable in a cave.

The Church of the Nativity (the traditional site of Christ’s birth) is located over a cave in Bethlehem. According to ‘Jerusalem and the Holy Land’ (DK), ‘The first evidence of a cave being venerated as Christ’s birthplace is in the writings of St. Justin Martyr around AD 160. In 326, the Roman emperor Constantine ordered a church to be built and in about 530 it was rebuilt by Justinian.’

Yes…

Here is an answer from St. Anthony Messenger Magazine

The actual birth of Jesus is a matter-of-fact half verse (2:1a) in Matthew’s Gospel (“When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of King Herod…”). Luke’s Gospel says that Jesus was placed in a phatne (Greek word for “manger” or “feeding trough”) but gives no details where that phatne was. In the fourth century, St. Helena had a magnificent church built over the cave said to be the birthplace of Jesus.

Near Bethlehem there are many natural caves. It was easier, safer and more economical to block off a cave’s entrance to shelter animals than to build a freestanding stable.

Jesus was more likely born in a cave rather than in a stable, but it is not possible—or necessary—to prove either one conclusively.

The Church of the Nativity is located over what was believed to be the cave where Jesus was born. It dates to about 327 so the belief about the birthplace being in a cave is ancient.

From another site;

In ancient Israel, natural caves were used as living spaces and also places to shelter flocks and herds. In the area of Bethlehem where Jesus was born, the rocky hills provided many caves for shelter. Most structures were built of stone since stones are abundant whereas wood for lumber was scarce. Even today, homes there are built of stone or cement.

So the stable in essence was a basement storage area with a cave in the foundation. :slight_smile:

And they stored animals?

Maybe, how big? I don’t think it was conducive or comparative to any 2014 child birth. :slight_smile:

Also, one needs to properly understand what is meant by “cave”. Rather it’s a grotto, probably not deeper than 40 feet,

Pope Benedict’s “Jesus of Nazareth - The Infancy Narratives,” the date usually given as the birth of Christ is totally wrong, the fault of a Sixth Century monk. The book also debunks other notions of Christ’s birth - it says there were no animals present at the nativity as well.

The date I think is 4-years off, and nativity is somewhat as I was saying. They built around caves that originally were lived in. thus the basement,wine cellar [stable area?] etc.

Until the church pronounces a dogma that there were no animals, I will continue to believe otherwise.

:popcorn: …umm, why is there string in my popcorn?

According to the definition I read online, grottos are 1) a small picturesque cave,especially an artificial one, in a park or garden.
Or, 2) an indoor structure resembling a cave.

Was the Lourdes grotto hand made? What was there before St. Bernadette dug into spring water?

Horses and Cows and … Sheep? :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.