Stackable washer/dryer

Does anyone have one or know how well they work?
Our washing machine, which is almost 15 years old, decided to leak water all over the laundry room, which ran into the heating vent and leaked into our basement! :mad:What a way to start the day!:mad: So, instead of trying to fix the old beast, we thought we would get a new one. Our dryer, which is not as old, is making a terrible noise ( has been for awhile now, but DH says as long as it dries everything, just keep using it:rolleyes:) So both pieces need to be replaced - Happy New Year! Our laundry room is small, think medium walk in closet size. DH thought we could save some space and help organize the room better if we got the stackable kind. But we don't know anything about them.

As far as I know they work just as well as separate units, but at 5 feet tall there is no way I could ever reach high enough to use one! I have a hard enough time reaching into my washer as it is.

[quote="Charlotte1776, post:2, topic:225879"]
As far as I know they work just as well as seperate units, but at 5 feet tall there is no way I could ever reach high enough to use one!

[/quote]

I told DH I wasn't sure about getting them because then the kids couldn't help do the laundry:)

We’ve had one for the past six years, and it’s worked pretty well. Our washer is a bit smaller than normal, so you have to do more loads.

There are two different ways to go here.

You can get separate washer/dryer units that are stackable, these would be front load washers.

Or you can get a stacked unit, it's all one unit and the washer isn't front load. Further, the stacked models come in full size and apartment size, so watch that and make sure you get full sized.

I have both kinds, stacked downstairs and stackable upstairs.

As far as the separate units stacked on top of each other, I like this arrangement best. The front load washer has pros and cons. You'll read about mold in front load washers on the gasket/seal, but you just have to clean it regularly.

The stacked unit has a top load washer, and I find it awkward to get the laundry in and out of it. I'm also not a fan of how the controls are set up on it. You definitely can't be short and use these!

The advantage of stackable separate pieces is that if you don't like them stacked you can move them back to a traditional set up. If you get the stacked unit, then you are stuck with stacked.

You also need to verify that your various hookups are located appropriately for a stacked unit, or you may have to add some length or replace hoses, dryer venting, etc to reach all the righth places.

We have our front loaders stacked because we have very very little room for them upstairs and I didn't want the w&d in the basement. We've had them a little over a year and working great so far. I'm 5'2'' and have never had an issue with it at all......

One thing to remember, with the washer, you HAVE to leave the door open after washing until it dries out or it WILL grow mold inside it.

ETA: ours also has a baby lock you use by holding down two buttons simultaneously, so they can not turn the washer on.

If you have queen or king sized beds you may have an issue with doing bedding. You will never fit a larger blanket or comforter in a stackable.

My mom has one and she has not had any issues with it, but it's just her and her husband, no kids.

~Liza

Thank you everyone!

I think we are leaning toward the ones you can stack together. We need the larger size;) Any brand you recommend or anything special we should look for?

[quote="happymommy, post:8, topic:225879"]
Thank you everyone!

I think we are leaning toward the ones you can stack together. We need the larger size;) Any brand you recommend or anything special we should look for?

[/quote]

Stay away from front loading washers. They can be a challenge to keep clean because of the rubber gasket around the opening.

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:9, topic:225879"]
Stay away from front loading washers. They can be a challenge to keep clean because of the rubber gasket around the opening.

~Liza

[/quote]

Well, that will be a problem then. I'm not sure that the one piece unit will be big enough. And the only other option would be a front loader and then stack the dryer on top...hmm. Back to looking!

[quote="happymommy, post:10, topic:225879"]
Well, that will be a problem then. I'm not sure that the one piece unit will be big enough. And the only other option would be a front loader and then stack the dryer on top...hmm. Back to looking!

[/quote]

:( I've just heard that the rubber gasket can get mildew really easily, and that you have to be wiping it down with bleach all the time.

I had a repair guy at my house last year - no connection to any brand or style whatsoever - he just fixes them. He said that he would never buy a GE or Maytag, or a front loader of any brand. The two brands mentioned break down more than any he sees, and the front loaders have issues with the gasket which is very expensive to replace and not covered under warranty. He said he loves Sears brand the best, and gets the fewest service calls for them. Go figure! :shrug:

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:11, topic:225879"]
:( I've just heard that the rubber gasket can get mildew really easily, and that you have to be wiping it down with bleach all the time.

I had a repair guy at my house last year - no connection to any brand or style whatsoever - he just fixes them. He said that he would never buy a GE or Maytag, or a front loader of any brand. The two brands mentioned break down more than any he sees, and the front loaders have issues with the gasket which is very expensive to replace and not covered under warranty. He said he loves Sears brand the best, and gets the fewest service calls for them. Go figure! :shrug:

~Liza

[/quote]

Our 14 year old washer is a GE. Guess they don't make them like that anymore.
I'll keep looking. I've heard both good and bad about the front loaders. I don't want anything that will create more work!
We don't have to get the kind that stack, but it would give us more room in the laundry room. Oh well.

I have a Samsung front loading w&d stacked and have never had an issue with any kind of mildew, but i always let my washer dry out after I wash. It’s big enough to do my king sized bedding.

[quote="OSUbride0708, post:13, topic:225879"]
I have a Samsung front loading w&d stacked and have never had an issue with any kind of mildew, but i always let my washer dry out after I wash. It's big enough to do my king sized bedding.

[/quote]

That's what I looked at. I found a set that I liked. The reviews were mixed, like they always are. I'll just keep researching them...or I'll have DH do it:D He loves to compare things before we buy them...for MONTHS:o

You just have to leave the door ajar until it is dry. Or, wipe it down. It’s really not a big deal.

I think all appliance people have their own favorites and such. My DH’s cousin has been in appliance delivery and repair for 20 years. Here are his 2 cents:

GE parts are expensive. GE makes their own appliances.

Regarding brands, there are only a couple of **manufacturers **that make everything. The labeling is all marketing.

Whirlpool makes Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Gladiator, Admiral, Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef, and Maytag. Whirlpool makes appliances for Sears Kenmore.

Electrolux makes Frigidaire and Tappan. Elextrolux/Frigidaire make appliances for Sears Kenmore including washers and dryers.

So, really, when someone says they hate one but love another, they may be made by the same manufacturer in the same plant and just have a different label.

Those one piece laundry centers are made specifically for studio apartments, where the architect often creates a space only 24 inches across. The tubs are really small, and they are very, very, very expensive for what you get. I live alone, and would never want one, even for free.

The full size front loaders often have up to 4.0 cu. ft. capacity, and the fact that there's no agitator in the way is even better. I notice this is to be installed upstairs, presumably on a wooden floor. The spin cycle is often at a much higher speed than older top loaders, and unless the floor is really well constructed, it could move around quite a bit. Of course, if it's not professionally installed, people often don't bother to remove the transport screws, which makes shaking a huge problem.

Being short is better if you have a front load washer, because you won't have to bend over as far to unload. The dryer controls are on the front of the machine, and for you would be at eye level.

Would you like some advice from a person in the industry? (that's me ;))

If it's an upstairs application I would recommend a Samsung. The VRT system makes the washer incredibly stable and vibration free. Take a look at the WF220ANW which is 4.0 cu ft with an internal water heater (gives you a sanitary cycle) or for a larger unit look at the WF330ANW at 4.3 cu ft.

As to the smell issue, if you maintain it properly you will never have a problem. There are a number of products on the market designed to clean out front load washers. I recommend you use one of them once a month and at that time take a rag and wipe out the gasket. Also if possible leave the door cracked to allow the moisture to evaporate.

I am familiar with all of your major brands. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to contact me.

In Christ
Joe

I have a front loader and never had a smell problem at all. I keep the door open and never close it. I would never go to top loaders anymore...so much less water and soap is used. And for the added bonus that the clothes are much more dry than top loaders. My microfibre stuff are almost dry when taken out.:shrug:

I babysat for a family of four and they had stackable appliances...never problems there also. I took care of one 3-year and two 1-year old babies. When they got sick, well, there was a large amount of laundry. Absolutely no problem...:shrug:

[quote="josephdaniel29, post:17, topic:225879"]
Would you like some advice from a person in the industry? (that's me ;))

If it's an upstairs application I would recommend a Samsung. The VRT system makes the washer incredibly stable and vibration free. Take a look at the WF220ANW which is 4.0 cu ft with an internal water heater (gives you a sanitary cycle) or for a larger unit look at the WF330ANW at 4.3 cu ft.

As to the smell issue, if you maintain it properly you will never have a problem. There are a number of products on the market designed to clean out front load washers. I recommend you use one of them once a month and at that time take a rag and wipe out the gasket. Also if possible leave the door cracked to allow the moisture to evaporate.

I am familiar with all of your major brands. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to contact me.

In Christ
Joe

[/quote]

Thank you! WF220ANW is the washer I was looking at!

:eek: Been there, never good!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.