Stand of a priest

i just want to know from you your comment on this article.

news.inq7.net/nation/index.php?index=1&story_id=19910

[quote=viktor aleksndr]“Of course, morality matters, but health issues like HIV/AIDS should be an urgent consideration of the Church. We should really get involved,” he said.
[/quote]

Father Reyes needs our prayers for conversion. I’m always suspect of anyone who says “morality matters, but”

[quote=viktor aleksndr]Reyes said he has “nothing against condom use by people like seafarers” who use them to avoid contracting the AIDS-causing human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV).

“They’re concerned about their health,” he said.

But the priest clarified he was “definitely not promoting condom use.”
[/quote]

How about condom use by construction workers, doctors, bakers, and candle stick makers? Aren’t they concerned about their health, too? How sad that a priest is talking like this.

While the Church agrees that the fight against HIV/AIDS is a moral responsibility, it shuns the chief prevention tool – the condom.

Sad, the Church promotes the chief and only sure-fire way to prevent this spread, abstinence and monogamy.

The Church maintains that condoms, or rubber prophylactics, do not really offer an effective protection from AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

They fail a lot more often than abstience.

It also believes that condoms encourage promiscuity.

I won’t even go there, but has he ever read Humanae Vitae?

Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) has repeatedly warned against condom use, saying it only provides a “false security.”

They are right, the sexual revolution taught us that.

In a July 9, 2001 pastoral letter, then Manila Archbishop Jaime Cardinal Sin said: “The condom corrupts and weakens people, chastity forms and strengthens them. The condom destroys families and individuals, chastity builds them up. The condom spreads promiscuity and thus, STDs and AIDS, while chastity battles them.”

Why they quote this in the negative I have no idea…oops the liberal media’s bias, my bad.

Reyes said he has “nothing against condom use by people like seafarers” who use them to avoid contracting the AIDS-causing human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV).

ditto to the StCsDavid.

But the priest clarified he was “definitely not promoting condom use.”

funny…

“As much as possible, people like seamen should practice self-control. But I’m sure there’ll be situations where such would be a problem. That’s why, they bring condoms with them,” he said.

How sad a priest is saying that.

He said the situation called for the Church to reach out, noting that “the streets are my pulpit, the trees are my altar and the universe is my church.”

And St. Francis is rolling in his grave.

That priest is also the priest which i saw celebrating mass in the street wearing only stole and his shorts and shirts.

I have nothing against his view in politics but he must see also that what he is doing doesn’t affect the whole catholic church.

He is a catholic priest and stated his view on using condom publicly while the vatican is against the use of condom. I think this is stand of the church must be followed by the catholics (specifically the religious) for this is a teaching on morals.

I am really sad that he is doing this. Instead of serving the church why does he fight something on the street which is nothing against the church. He is leading many people to join him in demonstration to attack the government. He is more like an activist rather than a priest. I hope Fr. Robert Reyes will know the prayer of St. Francis (the peace prayer).

Let’s pray for these kinds of priest. St. Francis said that even the bad priest must be respected for it is only his hand that can transform the bread and wine into the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.