Standing-In a Sin?

I stood up for my best friend in his wedding as his best man, as he was mine. When I got married, we got married Catholic of course, and at the time he was as well. However, he stopped going once he met his Protestant fiance, and now wife, and they attend some other Protestant church. Anyway, my friend knew I was a staunch Roman Catholic, but he still asked me to stand up. Always being there for my friend, I agreed to be his Best Man.

During the rehearsal and prior to the ceremony, we even commented that the church he was getting married in was not appropriate. He and I were in total agreement, and in a quiet “protest” over the whole situation, that we were really not buying into the religious totality of the wedding at that location or through its pastor.

Now, I recently read in the “Ask an Apologist” section that it was a sin to stand up for him, since it was in a non-Catholic setting. I kind of find that point somewhat ridiculous since I was completely against the whole thing from the get-go, and if anyone would know, God knew that I was not in approval of the circumstances.

My point is, even though I was present in the ceremony, I did not take part in their prayers, or their communion, or anything else. I even told the pastor of my intentions prior to the ceremony, and he even ackowledged that it would not have been right for me to take their communion since I am Catholic (not that I was seeking his approval or anything). All I did was pass the rings, and that was that. So, does anyone think I sinned?

do YOU think you sinned?

:slight_smile:

Not at all.

[quote=gmmartin42]I stood up for my best friend in his wedding as his best man, as he was mine. When I got married, we got married Catholic of course, and at the time he was as well. However, he stopped going once he met his Protestant fiance, and now wife, and they attend some other Protestant church. Anyway, my friend knew I was a staunch Roman Catholic, but he still asked me to stand up. Always being there for my friend, I agreed to be his Best Man.

During the rehearsal and prior to the ceremony, we even commented that the church he was getting married in was not appropriate. He and I were in total agreement, and in a quiet “protest” over the whole situation, that we were really not buying into the religious totality of the wedding at that location or through its pastor.

Now, I recently read in the “Ask an Apologist” section that it was a sin to stand up for him, since it was in a non-Catholic setting. I kind of find that point somewhat ridiculous since I was completely against the whole thing from the get-go, and if anyone would know, God knew that I was not in approval of the circumstances.

My point is, even though I was present in the ceremony, I did not take part in their prayers, or their communion, or anything else. I even told the pastor of my intentions prior to the ceremony, and he even ackowledged that it would not have been right for me to take their communion since I am Catholic (not that I was seeking his approval or anything). All I did was pass the rings, and that was that. So, does anyone think I sinned?
[/quote]

I don’t. As a matter of fact I think that the very idea that you can’t be a best man in a non-catholic wedding is nuts.

[quote=koda]I don’t. As a matter of fact I think that the very idea that you can’t be a best man in a non-catholic wedding is nuts.
[/quote]

Yes , if those were the total facts of the case, you’d be right. But you are wrong if the person getting married is a Catholic who is ignoring church teaching on the sacrament of marriage. Big difference, don’t you know.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.