Stanford is stripping the name of a Catholic saint over his treatment of Native Americans

It’s this contentious legacy that’s prompting Stanford University to strip Serra’s name from two campus buildings and a pedestrian mall.

“Revisiting how we think about historical figures is a challenging undertaking that requires care and humility,” Jeff Raikes, chair of the Stanford Board of Trustees, said in a statement.

With the passage of time, we gain new understanding of historical events, the people who shaped them and the effects of those events on others."

This shoudn’t surprise anyone!

I can only imagine how often we’re going to see stories like this one in the coming years. On the one hand, I understand the desire to honor the entire historical record including its effects on native populations. On the other, apparently everyone who lived before the current generations was a bigoted moron. Thank goodness we’re so enlightened. :roll_eyes:

The American Taliban at work again. They’ve been doing this throughout the South.

I don’t know much about St. Serra, but it seems the hatred of him is entirely racist. At least in this article it doesn’t say what he personally did that was wrong. It only says what those of his race did that is considered wrong. And he is then condemned by his race.

Revisiting how we think about historical figures is a challenging undertaking that requires care and humility," Jeff Raikes, chair of the Stanford Board of Trustees, said in a statement.

“With the passage of time, we gain new understanding of historical events, the people who shaped them and the effects of those events on others.”

Lol. Humility, at a university! These folks gain new understandings all the time. But it is based on ideology and nothing more. The facts don’t change, just their unusual interpretation does.

Need to strip the PC crowd of their power. Was it Orwell who said, “Whoever controls the present controls the past, and who ever controls the past controls the future.” Someone probably remember the quote better.

But I think Lenin also said something about needing 3 generations to remake society

We are seeing the effects now of the rewriting history and the indoctrination of the school children by the educrats.

and if you buy into the liberal talking points, so are at least half of republicans still today…:roll_eyes:

I can’t remember who said the following, but I thought it was amusing:

“We now think we’re smarter than all those who went before us just because we know how to turn on the ignition of a car.”

The exact opposite is true. I am quite sure humanity is getting dumber and the decline is becoming more rapid. As the quote points out making use of technology smart people made obfuscates this fact.

If they can strip Laura Ingalls Wilder of her
awards this should be considered business as usual.

The difference between Serra & The Reverend Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, LL.D.?

Serra is ridiculed & hated by many Native Americans.

Gallaudet is widely adored & honored by Deaf Americans & even with Gallaudet University being named after him.

Amazing since both men are very religious & yet only one used it for his own purpose.

There are plenty of historical figures that fully deserve the honor of a statue. People try to excuse bad behavior by historical figures by saying things were just different back then but that’s just not true.

Junipero Serra is accused of more serious things than Wilder. Here’s what an article in the British newspaper, The Guardian, says:

Under Serra’s leadership, tens of thousands of Native Americans across Alta California, as the region was then known, were absorbed into Catholic missions – places said by one particularly rapturous myth-maker in the 19th century to be filled with “song, laughter, good food, beautiful languor, and mystical adoration of the Christ”.

What this rosy-eyed view omits is that these natives were brutalized – beaten, pressed into forced labour and infected with diseases to which they had no resistance – and the attempt to integrate them into the empire was a miserable failure. The journalist and historian Carey McWilliams wrote almost 70 years ago the missions could be better conceived as “a series of picturesque charnel houses”.

Opponents point out that, from the time Serra arrived in 1769, the native population was ravaged by European diseases, including syphilis spread by marauding Spanish soldiers. Indians brought into the missions were not allowed to leave, and if they tried they were shackled and severely beaten.

They were used as forced labour to build out the Mission’s farming projects. They were fed atrociously, separated from close family members and packed into tight living quarters that often became miasmas of disease and death.

Where, then, does this thinking stop? Certainly all historical figures can be disregarded by one modern standard or another.

I guess I just can’t be too concerned over people being opposed to the mass institutionalized abuse of Native Americans, and am not worried about where that kind of thinking will lead.

I do understand. I might simply suggest that at some point, the issue could spill on to someone of whom you approve. That’s when the issue will become murky.

The issue of whether I can, say, enjoy someone’s work when I know or learn about their misdeeds or deplorable views can become murky, but the issue of whether they should be honored with a statue in a place of prominence isn’t.

When you live in an anti Christian society as we do then mercy, humility, and love for your enemies won’t often be found. If the modern American Taliban had been around in the past we’d not have any ancient artifacts. They are the enemy of knowledge and truth while proclaiming to be just the opposite. That is how evil works.

I used to live in Southern California.
Went on a field trip in high school( a long time ago) to the Mission in San Diego, and later visited the
Mission San Luis Rey and San Juan Capristrano.
They were beautiful and educational, part of California’s heritage.
I know that Native Americans have been badly mistreated in this country but I believe to tear down the Statue of Father Serra is a mistake and not the answer to right past wrongs.
I agree with the above post.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.