Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Well if it is a sub par version of B5, then it deserves a second look because B5 was awesome! :thumbsup:

I did watch S1 and part of S2 of DS9 when it first aired (I was a big Trekkie as a kid), but I couldn’t get into it. As an adult, I might appreciate it more and I’ll have to check it out on Netflix.

I also watched Voyager for a couple seasons, and it was awful. The new Battlestar Galactica did that story so much better.

I also watched a few episodes of Enterprise and got bored with the Vulcan’s obnoxious parental attitudes. I think Voyager, Enterprise and the last few TNG movies are what made me stop calling myself a Trekkie.

I really liked DS9 (and my story of how I got into it is kinda funny).

At first I didn’t want to watch it, I thought it was going to be boring because it seemed that they never travelled and were stuck on the station.

But my goodness I really started getting hooked around the 3rd or 4th season I think.

I’m just glad I had dvds because some of the season finale cliffhangers would have left me going bananas if I had to wait the whole summer for the story to continue like when they originally aired.

I really liked so many of the characters on that show.

I liked Voyager too, I think all the Star Trek series had something different to offer.

It seems Sci-Fi shows always get my brothers and I hooked and we try to set some time and get together to watch them together. We are such dorks :smiley: and I feel super dorky because I’m the only chick.

BattleStar Galactica and Babylon 5 are next on my list after I catch up on the fourth season of Doctor Who.

Hear! Hear!

It’s amusing sometimes to read B5 v DS9 stuff. To me, they’re both great science fiction that told different stories in different universes. Stargate SG-1 is also a great watch…10 years of fighting the Goa’uld and, later, the Orii.

Agreed!

I did watch S1 and part of S2 of DS9 when it first aired (I was a big Trekkie as a kid), but I couldn’t get into it. As an adult, I might appreciate it more and I’ll have to check it out on Netflix.

Do! It’s not as tight as B5’s season one (a lot of it seemed like stand-alone eps at first glance) tie-ins to the rest of the series, but the story really gets better when the Dominion gets involved. It sets the tone for the rest of the series.

I also watched Voyager for a couple seasons, and it was awful. The new Battlestar Galactica did that story so much better.

Different stories, actually, but I hear what you mean. I liked Voyager at the start, stopped watching, but after they encountered the Borg (my favorite trek bad-guys) I started watching again. Maybe it was Seven of Nine, I’m not sure. :wink:

I also watched a few episodes of Enterprise and got bored with the Vulcan’s obnoxious parental attitudes. I think Voyager, Enterprise and the last few TNG movies are what made me stop calling myself a Trekkie.

Enterprise actually got interesting in its third season. It got really interesting in its fourth season…lots of really good 3-episode story arcs and an end to the whole Temporal Cold War nonsense.

Lets be frank, Gene Roddenburry is more of a secular humanist and moral relitivist… Perhaps not quite in a modern sense, but these are the values touted by the Star Trek series and certainly pushed by the purists involved with the projects.

DS9 and Voyager are on the outside of this club, as Ron Moore was heavily involved in the projects. And while he currently (as far as I know) describes him self as agnostic, all of his works are extrodenarly spiritual in nature. In DS9 it was a central plot point, in Voyager it was an oft brought up subject.

Moore eventually tired of the Roddenbury platform (if you will) and left Trek all together (considered leaving sci-fi actually). But then some how Battle Star Galactica came up as a possible remake idea and he got on board. And then we got a massivly cool (better than trek if you ask me, and historically I’m a big trekkie) new sci-fi series which features God as a central plot point.

Interesting that a self described agnostic is so fixated on God in all his major works. If he hasn’t already, I wouldn’t be shocked by his coming home.

I started watching DS9 in its final season, except I didn’t know it was the last season, LOL. I remember sitting there thinking, “Boy this is good, why didn’t I ever get into this before?” And then moments later an ad came on saying “Only 6 episodes left…” I recall saying something to the effect of; “Aww come on!”

Basically I need to order it from Netflix and just catch up. TNG will always be my favorite but the truth is you can slap Trek on anything and I’ll give it a try. (With the exception of the latest movie. I don’t dig the whole “Let’s abandon any all all canon” philosophy.)

Like others here I’d also recommend you check out Babylon 5, some of sci-fi at its best.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.