'Star Wars' scientists create laser gun to kill mosquitoes

This could really help reduce disease in many tropical areas around the world!

The laser, which has been dubbed a “weapon of mosquito destruction” fires at mosquitoes once it detects the audio frequency created by the beating of its wings.

The laser beam then destroys the mosquito, burning it on the spot.

Developed by some of the astrophysicists involved in what was known as the “Star Wars” anti-missile programs during the Cold War, the project is meant to prevent the spread of malaria.

I want one for my back yard!

Full story here

Again, this is CNN so be cautious.

How dangerous is this for humans?

Excellent question. My guess is that it is very low power and, since the targeting systems is very selective, it will probably not hit anything except the bug.

What if the mosquito has just landed on YOU?

What if the mosquito has just landed on YOU?

Very little, probably. Unless it landed on your eye. The minimum thermal energy capable of killing a mosquito would hardly singe a hair on your arm, and certainly wouldn’t hurt your skin.

I demonstrate this for students, by exploding a few drops of alcohol in a film canister against my arm. That charge is capable of blowing the lid off with a large bang, but the thermal energy is hardly enough to singe the hairs on my arm. Our bodies are big collections of tiny water-filled bags, and water has such a huge specific heat, we don’t burn so easily.

SWEET! :smiley:

He should make it shaped like the death star.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.