Star Wars & Vatican II

This is hilarious:
vestalmorons.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/star-wars-and-the-history-of-vatican-ii/

That was one of the funniest things I've read all day. Thanks.

Is it just me or is some of that pretty darn racist? :frowning:

That blew my mind.

I didn't agree with all of it, but it was still a fun read. I played Star Wars music from YouTube in the background as I read. :cool:

This is hilarious! I do have Styx’s “Too Much Time on My Hands” stuck in my head now!!!

:slight_smile:

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:3, topic:265657"]
Is it just me or is some of that pretty darn racist? :(

[/quote]

Um, er, what?

[quote="didymus, post:7, topic:265657"]
Um, er, what?

[/quote]

Well, there was the bit about Asians and the bit about African-Americans in the Church. Also the description of Muslims. I assume that's what the person is referencing.

[quote="didymus, post:1, topic:265657"]
This is hilarious:
vestalmorons.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/star-wars-and-the-history-of-vatican-ii/

[/quote]

Somebody has way too much time on his hands.

[quote="Aelred_Minor, post:8, topic:265657"]
Well, there was the bit about Asians and the bit about African-Americans in the Church. Also the description of Muslims. I assume that's what the person is referencing.

[/quote]

Oh.
On my first re-read I thought he was referring to equating Scots with Chewbacca.

The bit about Muslims -- well, what did he say that's false?

As for Lando Carlissian = Racially Persecuted Minority I think the author was running out of stem and had to come up ith something for Lando's character. He prefaces with "this is sketchy at best".

[quote="didymus, post:10, topic:265657"]

As for Lando Carlissian = Racially Persecuted Minority I think the author was running out of stem and had to come up ith something for Lando's character. He prefaces with "this is sketchy at best".

[/quote]

Yeah the second half or so of the piece, much of the relationships with minor characters (eg Lando) was quite a stretch. The whole Theology of the Body thing was just over the top.

Although I thought the parallels among the big themes and characters (earlier half or so of the piece) to be quite surprising in its concordance. I was actually getting excited about the whole piece, when the wheels started coming off.

But I do trust George Lucas did not have V2 in mind when he developed his epic. That said, it was a highly entertaining waste of my time. :) Some good laughs for sure.

[quote="Aelred_Minor, post:5, topic:265657"]
I didn't agree with all of it, but it was still a fun read. I played Star Wars music from YouTube in the background as I read. :cool:

[/quote]

What a great idea I should have done the same while reading it:thumbsup:! So funny!:D

OK, I have only seen Episodes I-IV. When I get home for Christmas break I will be pulling out the DVDs and watch them in this light.

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:13, topic:265657"]
OK, I have only seen Episodes I-IV. When I get home for Christmas break I will be pulling out the DVDs and watch them in this light.

[/quote]

Heresy! You definitely need to watch Episodes IV-VI, in their original innocence before the various rounds of "improvements". ;)

So funny! I guess I am a cute little ewok :p:D lol!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.