Star Wars Video Game to Allow Characters To Have Homosexual Romances

lifesitenews.com/news/star-wars-video-game-to-allow-characters-to-have-homosexual-romances

BioWare, the company that created the online video game “Star Wars: The Old Republic,” has relented after two years of lobbying and announced it will create an upgrade that allows players to have same-sex relationships as part of the gaming experience. …

BioWare has incorporated homosexual relationships into the video games Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

This is not uncommon in video games but what makes this totally unacceptable is we see them attacking youth. Now I know there will be those who say this is rated T or M for over age 15 or so but Star Wars is loved by all ages including the very young.

Children in second grade have back packs and play video games and parents tend to think - oh go play a game like /Star Wars because they think there is nothing in the movies so the games are the same. These games are played by 9, 10 and 12 year old even if rated for older ages so this is bad news.

I started another threat on how Car 2 was a totally political film yet geared toward 3, 5 and 7 year olds. Huh?

What’s your point?

My point is that video games geared to youth should not have characters with homosexual sexual relationships.

Should video games geared towards the youth have characters with heterosexual sexual relationships? :confused:

originally posted** by VeritasLuxMea**
Should video games geared towards the youth have characters with heterosexual sexual relationships?

Not really but I think throughout the social culture there have always been expectation of romance or it not romance at least friendships between male and female. I do agree that it is over done as can be seen in the many films with romance aimed at 5 and 7 year olds.

None have included homosexual romance nor should they.

Thanks for the warning. Parents with young children need to be very diligent with what their children are being exposed to through the media. If I am ever blessed to get married and have a family, I would love to have a “no video game” policy before my kids hit their teen years.

[quote=gam197]Not really but I think throughout the social culture there have always been expectation of romance or it not romance at least friendships between male and female. I do agree that it is over done as can be seen in the many films with romance aimed at 5 and 7 year olds.

None have included homosexual romance nor should they.
[/quote]

So you don’t have a problem with violence, nor the fact that you can pursue the ‘dark side’ of the force?

[quote=MidnightSun]If I am ever blessed to get married and have a family, I would love to have a “no video game” policy before my kids hit their teen years.
[/quote]

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Parents shouldn’t let their kids play MMOs anyway. Even if the actual game content is safe, none of the chat is. Its like throwing your kid in to an adult chat room. Its even worse on “role-playing servers”. Not to mention the violence and heterosexual sex in the game. My character has had 3 sex partners in her 46 levels of existence. SWTOR is not a kids game and should not be expected to act as such just because parent’s won’t read or learn how to understand ratings.

Its called personal responsibility and good parenting to make sure games/movies/etc are appropriate. Not Bioware’s.

By using the esoteric research method known as “typing ‘Star Wars the Old Republic’ into Google”, I was immediately directed to the game’s website. The description of the game’s content reads as follows:

Play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and be the
hero of your own Star Wars™ saga in a story-driven
massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts.
Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between
the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy.

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.

In other words, this is a roleplaying game. Players control the actions of a created character, making decisions that affect what events that character goes experiences. Players who do not make homosexual choices will not see the homosexual content. Said homosexual content cannot be graphic, or the game would have a higher-level content advisory.

On every page of the website the game’s rating - “Teen: Blood and Gore, Mild Language, Sexual Themes, Violence” - is clearly displayed. This warning undoubtedly appears on the packaging as well.

I put it to the people here who are worried about the possible effect this game’s content might have on a 7 year old that if said child has parents who are so uninvolved, inattentive and flat-out illiterate as to allow their child to play this game, then that child is sadly facing larger problems than seeing a couple of CG characters kiss.

For people who are genuinely interested in the facts of this matter, information is readily available that will allow you to make an informed choice. An online review is available here, for example. For people who would prefer to create a moral panic over nothing, well, you’ll do that regardless of any facts presented.

I wish I could “like” this post several million times!

originally posted by PrayerShark
So you don’t have a problem with violence, nor the fact that you can pursue the ‘dark side’ of the force?

I liked the Star War movies and yes they had violence and the “dark side” but overall they had the “force” and “love” which proved to be more powerful. There were no sexual scenes in any of the movies. There was no red blood gory scenes just a lot of almost laser or taser sounding guns.

I don’t have a problem with teens playing this game. Most video games that I have watch are much, much more graphic in violence. You can rate Star War themes as age 15 but we all know that younger kids would be attracted.

And as far as this being a role playing game, teens and even younger can take on a role where they are fighter in some pretend world. Cowboys had guns- so what if they want to be a cowboy at young ages.

originally posted** by Nicko**
I put it to the people here who are worried about the possible effect this game’s content might have on a 7 year old that if said child has parents who are so uninvolved, inattentive and flat-out illiterate as to allow their child to play this game, then that child is sadly facing larger problems than seeing a couple of CG characters kiss.

Stop blaming the parents. Society and the video industry also has an obligation to make theme games more family friendly. Star Wars is loved by many young children. Over the years parents have spend a small fortune, just go into the toy department and look at all the Star War merchandise. **The Star Wars Lego series helped
Legos from going under at one point. **

I’m not “blaming” the parents. I am assigning responsibility where it belongs. This game is clearly and explicitly marketed as not suitable for children. Bioware and the ratings agencies have done their job; time for parents to do theirs.

For the record mate, I have an 8 year-old daughter. The games she plays are vetted by me and she does not get to play stuff I think is inappropriate for her.

How exactly did:
CHILD: Can I get this one?
PARENT: Nope.
… become such a hard conversation for parents to have? This is the job we signed up for, people!

Little trivial personal anecdote. My local games shop owner is a Turkish gent in his early 40’s who is very much a family man. I pop in to ask him ‘Hello have you got a copy of Skyrim for Xbox 360?’ last Nov. He says yes, but I decide after all to take another game as my wife informs me she has found Skyrim online at a special offer price. Anyway I buy my other game and chat to the owner for a moment, while we are chatting a Turkish lady comes up with a young boy aged about 9 or 10 and a copy of GTA IV, that bete noire of some who slate it, the owner says, ‘Listen, is this for the little boy?’. The mother says, ‘Yes it is’. The owner tells her it’s not something he is happy supplying knowing that, cue a blazing argument and the mom saying she will report him blah blah. In the end he had to ask her to leave. Many parents ARE woefully uninformed about the differences in game genres and styles. I am playing through LA Noire and Skyrim at the minute. The former has some very mature themes but given the way it is handled I might trust an older theme who was mature with it. Skyrim would fall into the same category with the difference that it is generally a more visceral experience. I certainly wouldn’t be giving either to 7,8 or 9 year olds.

Nicko has raised many good points. We have seen this furore before with the supposed ‘sex simulation’ in the first Mass Effect game and other panics of a similar kind.

.originally posted by JharekCarnelian
Many parents ARE woefully uninformed about the differences in game genres and styles.

I think that is the problem. I clicked on the link that Nicko provided and saw the cover page and this is all it said and it sure looks innocent to me. What can be wrong with choosing different Jedis you want to fight along with you. I do see at the bottom that it does have a T(teen) rating - Blood and Gore, Mild language, Sexual Themes and Violence. Since it is a “war” game I guess I would expect all but the sexual themes. I might think that is because Princess Leia or female Jedis has on scantily clothing during some scenes.

Game Overview
An epic adventure awaits you!

Play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and be the
hero of your own Star Wars™ saga in a story-driven
massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts.
Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between
the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy.

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.

Join us. Your personal Star Wars saga begins in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I checked the rating T ----Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older.

Yet I know children under thirteen will play this game.

The game is rated T. If young children are buying this game, how is it not the fault of the parents?

And yes, there is a lot of stuff made for children that is Star Wars themed. There are also many Star Wars fans that aren’t 7, and they would like something that is geared toward them.

Bioware has a very clear agenda to normalize homosexual lifestyles. As anyone who has played their games–Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2–knows.

Children under thirteen will undoubtedly play this game. But the manufacturers should not blamed for that as they plainly gave a warning of the suggested age group it is aimed at. Of course part of the problem is generational miscommuication, when some parents last played video games it was in another age, especially parents of an older age group. Fortunately many parents now are becoming more aware of what can be in video games as their experience of playing them is from a more recent time frame than the days of Colecovision or Commodore 64 et al. and they are more aware of how realistic or graphic some games can be. There is still some way to go though.

I collected US and other comic books as a young teen and I found the same thing, I was reading works myself at age 14 with very mature themes because to my father or mother a comic with Batman or Superman or the X-men or Hulk on the cover was inherently from their view likely to merely contain characters in long underwear having dust-ups. The same happens no doubt with games, they slip under the radar somewhat. And then a noteworthy game like GTA (a series I actually think has passed it’s best long ago) will cause a media flare up and for a time all games will get hit with the tag of been like that.

Other Star Wars games have allowed homosexual romances it should be noted before this.

originally** posted by maryjk**
The game is rated T. If young children are buying this game, how is it not the fault of the parents?

As I said I checked the rating T ––Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older.
Yet I know children under thirteen will play this game and I don’t necessarily think parents will buy i
t but more that an older sibling will be playing it and a younger sibling will be watching him play.**

I don’t even think a thirteen year old should be allowed to choose whether he wants to have a homosexual romance.

originally posted by JharekCarnelian
Other Star Wars games have allowed homosexual romances it should be noted before this.

Do you remember which ones so I can look them up? Thanks

I must be a hard nosed parent.

Being 13 allowed that I would look at a game rated “T.” Before he was 13, I wouldn’t even look at them. Even now, at 16, I don’t simply allow “M” games, although “T” games are pretty automatic. Parents need to start being parents again and stop young children from viewing “T” games.

If you know young children that play “T” games, maybe you need to talk to their parents, rather than trying to take games designed for older children and adults off the shelf.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.