Starbucks cups have some evangelical Christians seeing red

ome say Jesus Christ healed the sick and died to redeem humankind. Little is said about his views on the Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Still, secular coffee maker Starbucks has come under fire from some Christians who say the company isn’t repping hard enough for Jesus on its recent understated holiday cups. The problem? Political correctness, according to one evangelical.

“I think in the age of political correctness we become so open-minded our brains have literally fallen out of our head,” Joshua Feuerstein said in a widely viewed anti-Starbucks rant on Facebook titled “Starbucks REMOVED CHRISTMAS from their cups because they hate Jesus.” “Do you realize that Starbucks wanted to take Christ and Christmas off of their brand new cups? That’s why they’re just plain red.”

Feuerstein, an Arizona-based evangelist and “social media personality,” according to his website, had a plan. He didn’t want a boycott. He wanted a movement.

latimes.com/nation/la-na-starbucks-cups-under-fire-20151109-story.html

That’s a situation where they would’ve been criticized no matter what. If they had put something like a Bible quote or a cross on their cups, the non-religious crowd would’ve been outraged. If they did what they did now, the Christmas celebrators would be offended. People would be mad no matter what Starbucks did. If there is a lesson to be gained from this, it’s that some people need to lighten up and get a life.

Starbucks cups have been heavily decorated in the past, mostly just wintry scenes. I don’t think there was any secular vs. religious motivation to their current design. It’s just something new and they went minimalist.

Exactly. Minimalism is in, the red is still supposed to imply Christmas as it is one of the colors of the season. And from Starbucks perspective, they can now use the cups beyond just Christmas if they wish where before it would be pretty strange to keep using those cups after the 25’s secularly.

This seems to me to be a non-issue being blown out of proportion by some Christians who are desperate to feel persecuted or put upon by modern society. :rolleyes:

Can’t stand their coffee, and don’t care what color their cups are.

There’s already a thread on this story in the World News forum:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=986659

:thumbsup:

It seems a bit extreme to conclude that StarBucks hates Jesus because they didn’t put the word “Christmas” on the cup this year.

[attach]22548[/attach]

It says: “if coffee cups define your Christmas, then it is you who need Jesus”

This is the dumbest “outrage” ever. Starbucks stills a one pound Christmas Blend you can make at home.

While I kind of get it, I don’t really get it. A company as liberal as starbuck’s is probably isn’t going to care about Christ or Christmas in the first place.

:thumbsup:

I think this whole thing over the Starbucks cup is ridiculous. I mean, it is just a cup! If someone wants to put a cross or a nativity scene on their cup, they can do so on their own. If someone wants to put their own religious symbol on their cup, they can do that, too.

Not beyond the secular Christmas at any rate. But that’s not surprising. What is surprising is the manufactured outrage.

I have boycotted Starbucks a long time ago. They fund Planned Parenthood federation of America and signed a brief to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act and California’s ban on same sex marriage. They “proudly” supports same sex marriage.

If that’s your requirements for the stores you shop at I hope you only buy local food and coffee, don’t use a computer, and aren’t fond of using your cell phone…

All of the below support just Planned Parenthood never mind the other issues you raise with Starbucks:

Adobe
American Cancer Society
American Express
AT&T
Avon
Bank of America
Bath & Body Works
Ben & Jerry’s
Clorox
Converse
Deutsche Bank
Dockers
Energizer
Expedia
ExxonMobil
Fannie Mae
Groupon
Intuit
Johnson & Johnson
La Senza
Levi Strauss
Liberty Mutual
Macy’s
March of Dimes
Microsoft
Morgan Stanley
Nike
Oracle
PepsiCo
Pfizer
Progressive
Starbucks
Susan G. Komen
Tostitos
Unilever
United Way
Verizon
Wells Fargo

All the reasons why I buy Mystic Monk Coffee

Many Evangelicals see the “boogie man” in everything, including in the Catholic Church.

exactly!

Nope

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.