Starbucks vows to hire 10,000 refugees over next 5 years

Starbucks (SBUX) says it will hire 10,000 refugees over the next five years, a response to President Donald Trump’s indefinite suspension of Syrian refugees and temporary travel bans that apply to six other Muslim-majority nations.

cbsnews.com/news/starbucks-hire-refugees-trump-immigration/

Isn’t this a violation of US labor law? Isn’t the CEO announcing he intends to discriminate based on national origin? As always discrimination is fine as long as it is politically correct discrimination.

Imagine reading something like this and being outraged.

I guess serving overpriced coffee can be added to the list of jobs Americans won’t do.

Which labor law is that specifically?

Does this mean the Black Bloc won’t break there windows the next time they riot ?

Can we tone down the blatant racism?

I guess that means you’re not aware of who the Black Bloc are ?

“Black Bloc”…
You just keep on giving don’t you?
:cool:

Honestly thought it was a racial reference- what is it? I apologize.

What racism? Did you see the blacks destroying a Starbucks? It was national. its not racist to point that put

Oh, okay so it is racism.

It’s probably several laws, but the EEOC covers it here:

eeoc.gov/laws/types/nationalorigin.cfm

He would be discriminating based on national origin. In this case he would be discriminating against native borns in favor of non-native borns.

“the blacks”
And praytell who are these “blacks” you speak of?

From the article:
“Howard Schultz, the coffee retailer’s chairman and CEO, said in a letter to employees Sunday that the hiring would apply to stores worldwide and the effort would start in the United States where the focus would be on hiring immigrants “who have served with U.S. troops as interpreters and support personnel.””
He doesn’t say how hiring standards will be specifically changed to favor the category mentioned. But I expect a company has large as Starbucks would have written HR policies.

This is good news!

Starbucks is an incredible place of idea discussion. This makes evangelation easy.
Gasp! Speaking with a barrista about God!?

I have no problem with this provided its legal. What a good way to expose them to western culture and the free exchange of ideas!

A “black bloc” is a tactic for protests and marches where individuals wear black clothing, scarves, sunglasses, ski masks, motorcycle helmets with padding, or other face-concealing and face-protecting items. The clothing is used to conceal marchers’ identities and hinder criminal prosecution, by making it difficult to distinguish between participants.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_bloc

Research before you react…

I don’t know them, do you? I do know they weren’t , asian, or Hispanic , or white or whatever group you libs like to group people into. Trying to make this racist is sad because we saw African American individuals destroy a Starbucks.
Maybe you should address that disgusting behavior instead of me

Maybe we saw INDIVIDUALS destroy a Starbucks?
Why point out the race?
Unless it is to simply inflame?

The words in the regulations you cited speak of treating someone unfavorably or discriminating against them because they are of a certain national origin. So as long as they don’t fire anyone for being German, or demote someone for being Irish, or exclude someone from consideration because they are from Texas, they would not be in violation of this law. Pledging to hire 10,000 refugees over 5 years does none of that. Consider that the company has 238,000 employees. We are talking about adding only 0.8% of the workforce per year. This could easily be done without treating anyone unfavorably.

Never heard of it before.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.