Stargate: The Ark of Truth

I know there are many Stargate fans on this board. I wanted to ask what you thought of it.

I don’t want to get into any details that may spoil the surprise. However I will say they did an extremely good job with this movie and completed the Ori arc to my satisfaction.

Remember if you are going to include spoilers, make sure to give a warning beforehand.

I didn’t know that there was a new Stargate movie out.

I picked up the dvd and thought it was great. good story with the ori.:cool:
and recomend it to any sci- fi fan.loved the extras, the clip from comic con in san diego and the new movie stories were funny.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

doesnt stargate have cusswords. thats why I dont watch. why do you all watch? I thought it was uncatholic.

Its an individual choice. If you feel that it influences you then please don’t watch it. You will be making a responsible choice in not watching it. But not everyone is similarly influenced to do wrong.

but didnt the pope say that anything that exalts evil is a perversion?

“Any trend to produce programmes and products - including animated films and video games - which in the name of entertainment exalt violence and portray anti-social behaviour or the trivialization of human sexuality is a perversion, all the more repulsive when these programmes are directed at children and adolescents.”

I really wish I could find link. but I know pope Benidict said this. or Pope John paull2 I don’t remember.

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2006/03/a_reader_writes.html

Stargate is harmless in my opinion.

It does do an excellent job of tying up the whole Ori story arc. :thumbsup:

I can’t wait for the next movie.

James

I’ll see it eventually. I’m only a little ways into season 2 of Stargate SG-1.

yes but see it exalts bad things. like that one Cpt who cusses and gets mad. rember what I wrote. the pope said it was a perversion to watch stuff that exalts bad things?

I agree with everyone who says this DVD movie tied up the Ori Arc quite nicely.

If I have any complaint it’s that I don’t think that Sam and Cameron had enough screen time with Daniel, Teal’c, and Vala. Maybe it was an availability thing?

I can’t wait for Stargate: Continuum. Ba’al is one of those bad guys you just can’t get enough of.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E

I wasn’t quite so happy to see the Replicators, however. Those little buggers creep me out!

How does showing someone cuss when they’re mad exalt that behavior?

I loved the movie. It picked right up where the series left off.

While I do miss that show, Atlantis is still pretty good. Fascinated by the new enemies and more story line.

it does because it looks cool and every one ignores him. ( depending on the movie ) the character who does it in a way that portrays it as normal, okay, average, cool, is exalting what he/she does. ( I think )

I dont mean to be mean now :slight_smile:
This is just my understanding and believe me. I used to love stargate.
I watched it all the time! :wink:

I am not reading any of these posts. I bought it the day it came out along with seasons 9 and 10 to refresh my memory on the whole Ori storyline and just finished up Unending this evening. I’ll be back after I watch Ark…

OK, I just watched the movie today. Maybe I’m reading to deeply into the story, but is it just me or does Stargate: The Ark of Truth and the last couple of seasons of Stargate SG1 have a blatently anti-Catholic stance.

Truthfully, I’ve loved Stargate since it first aired more than a decade ago, but in the last few seasons since the Ori story line came out the series has changed it’s tone. It seems to be preaching against Catholicism.

I think you are over-reacting.

The whole concept of ascension, which goes back considerably further than seasons 9 and 10 does not seem to be particularly compatible with Catholicism but I wouldn’t call it anti-Catholic.

Yes, the characterization of the priors incorporated archetypes of religions/eras/nations that practice forced religion (including Catholicism) but I think that was more a matter of convenience than anything else. I wouldn’t call it blatent.

I think you are over-reacting.

The whole concept of ascension, which goes back considerably further than seasons 9 and 10 does not seem to be particularly compatible with Catholicism but I wouldn’t call it anti-Catholic.

Yes, the characterization of the priors incorporated archetypes of religions/eras/nations that practice forced religion (including Catholicism) but I think that was more a matter of convenience than anything else. I wouldn’t call it blatent.

No, I’m pretty sure it was blatent. Ever since they defeated the Goa’uld and started the Ori storyline the tone of the series changed. At first I thought Stargate was an subtle advocate for belief in a higher power because of referances to things like Ascension, and ascended beings, etc; but in hind sight I think it’s very possible it has always flaunted the idea that faith in a higher power is misguided. i.e. Goa’uld/false god storyline.

It almost seems that the series got more daring going from subtle rejection of religion embodied in egyptian gods, which was distant from the average citizen’s faith to rejection of religion embodied by christian-like faith which to me hit alittle closer to home.

Below is an example from Stargate: The Ark of Truth. It’s what seems to be a rejection of the Catholic belief in the power of forgiveness.

SPOILERS

[LIST]
Tomin: I sit here and I can never imagine never the day when I’ll forgive myself.
Teal’c: Because it will never come. One day others may try to convince you that they have forgiven you. That is more about them than you. For them imparting forgiveness is a blessing.
Tomin: How do you go on.
Teal’c: It is simple, you will never forgive youself, accept it. You hurt others, many others. That cannot be undone. You will never find personal retribution; but your life does not have to end.[/LIST]

The movie even goes so far as to compare the Ori capital as “The ‘Vatican’ of the Ori followers.” I don’t think you get more blatent than that. I’m not suggesting we go on a crusade against the Stargate franchise, I just was wondering why it doesn’t seem to phase anyone of the board. The entire plotline seemed to be a commentary advocating that faith in a higher power is delusional.

It’s nearly impossible to avoid this kind of thing in Science Fiction. It seems that most sci fi authors share the view point that science and religion are antithetical. Is it disconcerting? Yes. But if you want to enjoy a good sci fi tale you’re just going to have to learn to not be bothered. Or if you want to have your cake and eat it to, try Babylon 5.

It’s nearly impossible to avoid this kind of thing in Science Fiction. It seems that most sci fi authors share the view point that science and religion are antithetical. Is it disconcerting? Yes. But if you want to enjoy a good sci fi tale you’re just going to have to learn to not be bothered. Or if you want to have your cake and eat it to, try Babylon 5.

The show Eureka also seems to make an effort to reconcile the conflict between religion and science. Star Trek DS9 is another example I think. While it addressed the concept of a higher power through alien based religion (Bajorians/wormhole aliens) it never never quite had the gonads to touch actual human faith. It’s almost as though the future idea of Utopia requires society to become deviod of faith.

I agree with alot of your points. Maybe if the religious portion of the sci-fi community made it’s presence known the sci fi franchise would feel more inclined to attempt to write stories where science works in harmony with religion. Something as simple as posting similar comments of various sci-fi series’ forums might help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.