Starting a canonization cause

I am looking to petition a Bishop to start a canonization/martyrdom cause for a woman from the 1680’s. What are the documents I need to gather and/or write, and do I need to establish a local cult for a martyrdom case? What are the procedures for something like this?

Thank you!

The more data you have the better. Mind you I have never been involved but read a lot. The bishop will be very cautious. Eye witness testimonies. Authenticated stories. It takes money to dig up all the facts you can. Sure the more people on your team the better. Good luck.

You would be best served by seeing if there is any other active cause in your diocese or, if not, in a neighboring diocese, and then seeing if you can speak with someone involved in the cause who can probably give you a good idea of what is necessary to include in your petition.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.