Starting good habits - help

I want to start focusing on God more, and I scheduled a meeting with a priest I went to confession with to meet with him every week for confession. But, I’m looking for habits to start that are easy and simple. Such as, really short prayers I can say throughout the day (for example, sometimes I say ‘oh Holy Spirit, sweet guest of my soul, abide in me and grant that i may ever abide in Thee’). I want similar prayers like this that can become habits. Morning rituals (besides prayer). I guess what I want are some creative ideas. Example - not sure exactly if I worded this accurately, but I read once on here that someone carried a needle on them, and whenever they did something to offend God they poke themself.
I struggle with thoughts sometimes, so I want habits to keep my mind on God. So, If anyone has ideas, please share with me! Thank you:)

Daily Rosary? Examine of Conscience before bed? Try to make it to daily Mass?

I start my day with one simple word: Serviam! (“I will serve!”). It’s a short way of saying that everything I do that day is for God, for His glory.

When confronted with a particularly difficult person or situation, I repeat in a whisper or silently, “In Te Confido Iesu” (“Jesus, I trust in You”). This keeps me calm and prevents me from harming anyone (sadly, I am prone to violence :().

I’ve heard of the needle idea except using a rubber band worn around the wrist, loosely so as not to cut off blood circulation. That way the tool is always handy—I can’t imagine where you could keep a needle where it would be easily accessible but not getting caught on things or stabbing you or other people inadvertently—but still discreet. Offend God, snap the rubber band. Ouch.

More elaborately, the Liturgy of the Hours may be beneficial to you. Since the offices are meant to be prayed at specific times of the day, I must keep that schedule in mind when planning my other activities. Praying the entire LOTH daily does take some time, but it is not necessarily for the laity to include every office in their prayer routine. I skip the Office of Readings because I just don’t have the time for it. There are days when I’m so overwhelmed that all I can manage is Midday Prayer (Terce, Sext or None) and Compline.

Hope this helps in some way. God bless :slight_smile:

In the course of my life I have found great support through the prayers that I memorized in my youth. A few years ago I found that some simple prayers that were part of a novena on PrayMoreNovenas.com were just a perfect addition to these old, memorized prayers and I say them often theought the day.
Jesus, I believe in you help me believe more.
Jesus, I love you help me love you more.
Jesus, I trust in you help me trust more.
Jesus I have faith in you help ke have more faith.
And, of course, you could add whatever to this list. I will pray for you to develop faithfulled habits.

The morning offering at breakfast, the angelus at lunch, and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3. I’m trying to get into the habit of a Prayer for Daily Neglects at bedtime.

I found it useful to get my Raccolta, slice a sticky note into a few tabs, and pick out a few prayers that appealed. I’d make a habit of those particular prayers, or some from elsewhere, for a set period of time… a week, a month, whatever. Then I’d switch out those prayers. It helps keep the prayers fresh.

That’s great!!!

Daily consecrations to Mary’s Immaculate Heart and a daily rosary! There’s a short form of the consecration at the link below. The same site offers excellent support for praying the rosary daily.

rosary-center.org/consecrt.htm

[quote=Rosary Center] Short daily renewal of Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, I renew my consecration to you and to your Immaculate Heart. Please accept me, my dear Mother, and use me as you wish to accomplish your designs upon the world. I am all yours, my Mother, my Queen, and all that I have is yours.
[/quote]

In theology, we call morally good habits the virtues.

We have the 3 theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Charity. We have the cardinal virtues of Temperance, Fortitude, Prudence, and Justice. Additionally, there are natural virtues like respect, friendship, purity, chastity, and modesty.

Study the virtues, the gifts of the Holy Spirit, the fruit of the Spirit, and the Beatitudes as a guide to living an authentic and happy Christian life.

The Jesus Prayer is my favorite. You can get so used to saying it that it becomes natural while you are doing something else. It’s what I think of when I hear/read someone talk about praying unceasingly. It’s from the “Way of the Pilgrim” which is the story of an eastern monk on his travels learning from the Philikalia and the Jesus Prayer.

It goes like this: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God (on inhale), have mercy on me a miserable sinner (on exhale). Keep this up whenever you think of it and it will become natural to say with each breath.

Thank you so much everyone!!

I really love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing, God Bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.