Starting in the Diaconate program at age 55, too old?

What do you think?

Not at all.
You’ve got 3 - 5 years training, and then 15 years of active ministry before retiring at 75. That’s do-able.

Good points–tanx. :thumbsup:

[quote="irishpatrick, post:1, topic:295975"]
What do you think?

[/quote]

I was the youngest in my class at the age of 43 when I started the program all the other guys were in their late fifties or early sixties. We are all enjoying active ministry approaching our 5th anniversary.

You're only as old as you tell yourself you feel first thing in the morning. Remember:

"I feel 21. I feel 21. I feeeeeeeeel 21. Ok, out of bed"

I would say that is excellent! You have lived 55 years, meaning you came to know God after all your struggles and temptations throughout those years. You still have faith and you want to pursue God’s calling! Congratulations i say to you!

[quote="DCNBILL, post:4, topic:295975"]
I was the youngest in my class at the age of 43 when I started the program all the other guys were in their late fifties or early sixties. We are all enjoying active ministry approaching our 5th anniversary.

[/quote]

That sounds about average for my diocese, too.

I just hit the age 55 threshold and recently became involved with Opus Dei. I believe I can do many things for the prelature and the Catholic Church with the rest of my days. There is no reason you should not pursue the Diaconate program.

I’m 52 and am just entering formation in September.

I kinda worried about it too. Then met the other deacons:p

Just kidding - they are great. :thumbsup:

Anway 55 is the new 35!

I hear you, my friend!

Is that 3-5 years even if one has no college???

I only have two years of “technical” College in an engineering discipline…

Peace
James

Age is a case of mind over matter, if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter! (Time to get out of bed lol) :smiley:

Tell that to my aching back in the morning…Seems I’m more creaky than a door in a haunted house…

:hammering:…:yukonjoe:…:crutches:…:smiley:

Peace
James

[quote="JRKH, post:11, topic:295975"]
Is that 3-5 years even if one has no college???

I only have two years of "technical" College in an engineering discipline...

Peace
James

[/quote]

In our program they accepted anyone who had a high school diploma and qualified otherwise. They earned a certificate at the end of formation while those men who had degrees earned a Masters in Theology. I should say as well the men who did not have degrees took their courses separately from those who had them due to the rigor of study.

Thanks to all for the wonderful responses. :)

[quote="DCNBILL, post:14, topic:295975"]
In our program they accepted anyone who had a high school diploma and qualified otherwise. They earned a certificate at the end of formation while those men who had degrees earned a Masters in Theology. I should say as well the men who did not have degrees took their courses separately from those who had them due to the rigor of study.

[/quote]

Thanks...I just glanced at the local seminary's website and after looking through - I don't know that I would qualify....I fear my past is too "checkered"....:blush:
Plus I didn't really find a clear "time frame" layout and in my case I would be pushing 60 before I could get started.

I'm sure the Lord will have other work for me to do...

Peace
James

[quote="JRKH, post:16, topic:295975"]
Thanks...I just glanced at the local seminary's website and after looking through - I don't know that I would qualify....I fear my past is too "checkered"....:blush:
Plus I didn't really find a clear "time frame" layout and in my case I would be pushing 60 before I could get started.

I'm sure the Lord will have other work for me to do...

Peace
James

[/quote]

We all have checkered pasts buddy (OK some of us).

You don't have to be a saint to be a deacon!

You either have a vocation or you don't. If you think you might have then you owe it to God to check it out! (There: how's that for a guilt trip!)

BTW the formation is valuable too! It's not treading water until you can get into ministry!

[quote="triumphguy, post:17, topic:295975"]
We all have checkered pasts buddy (OK some of us).

You don't have to be a saint to be a deacon!

You either have a vocation or you don't. If you think you might have then you owe it to God to check it out! (There: how's that for a guilt trip!)

BTW the formation is valuable too! It's not treading water until you can get into ministry!

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

The problem is that I don't even feel that I can try to discern until my current situation as caregiver changes...
For now - I just try to be open....and listen....

Peace
James

God calls us where we are at, and the situation we are in affects that.

Our first calling is to our family and those who depend on us.

I've read enough of your posts to see that you are obviously open to the Spirit.

(I hope that doesn't sound like a teacher)

[quote="irishpatrick, post:1, topic:295975"]
What do you think?

[/quote]

No. I know a priest who entered the seminary in his 60s.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.