starting over

My husband and I have been going through an extreme crisis of faith for the last few weeks, and have been on the verge of leaving the church. On a fluke, we found out last that our parish is having its Lenten Penance Service tonight. After a very very long night of prayer, talking, and crying, we felt somehow like we touched heaven, and have been all but counting down the hours for that penance service. We're anxious as individuals and as a couple to clear the slate and start over. Now that it's getting closer to the time to leave, I'm filled with ambivalence and fear. I don't even know where to start with the confession (read between the lines here: mass tomorrow may be late by the time I get done) and I'm afraid I'll just break down and cry like a baby and embarrass myself thoroughly. Please, I need all the prayer support I can get.

Martha I am thankful to God for this new timely grace for you both. I know you've been through a great deal over the past few years, you and your family, many past traumas that you have shared with us here although we possibly still know little of all you've struggled with. I've kept you in my prayers, you and your family.

If you cry...going through many family and personal traumas over the years, I used to cry during Confession as one is very vulnerable in Confession, and sometimes understanding alone is a healing and necessary part of confession. In my last parish, the priests began to keep a box of tissues in the confessional and they've remained a permanent. It's okay if you cry. You can be sure that the priest will have seen many tears in the past. Your current situation is of such radical importance to you and your husband so of course you may be emotional. In any case, tears are sometimes a sign of grace working within the soul and mind.

I'll continue to pray for you, your husband, your family, your community.
Love, Trishie

I’ll remember you in my prayers and at the Christmas Mass.

Praying for you, Martha. I hope it went well! Welcome home :)

***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen***

:crossrc:

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be
done, on earth as it is in heaven Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee
blessed art thou among women and
blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary mother of God pray for us
sinners now and at the hour of our death
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end
Amen

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy,
our life, our sweetness, and our hope.
To you we cry, poor banished children of Eve,
to you we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
your eyes of mercy toward us,
and after this our exile,
show us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Amen.

Praying hard for you.

Mother Mary, I entrust marthagreys to your loving care. Please help her.

Hail Mary...

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.