Starting to get rid of my Protestant "traits"

It took awhile to change my Protestant thinking into Catholic thinking:banghead: but finally, my Protestant “ways” are almost “down the toilet” so to speak!:wave:

My question is, will there EVER be a time in my life where I will get 100% rid of them?

[quote=Paris Blues]It took awhile to change my Protestant thinking into Catholic thinking:banghead: but finally, my Protestant “ways” are almost “down the toilet” so to speak!:wave:

My question is, will there EVER be a time in my life where I will get 100% rid of them?
[/quote]

What are you talking about

Yes there will be :slight_smile: Keep praying! :slight_smile:

[quote=SolaChristo]What are you talking about
[/quote]

What denom are you? You would know if you converted to Catholicism.

Nevermind then…

[quote=SolaChristo]What are you talking about
[/quote]

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_52.gif

I know what you’re talking about, and I just kept praying to the Blessed Mother to lead me to the Truth of her son’s Church and take away my doubts. Ya know what? She did. :smiley:

[quote=Paris Blues]What denom are you? You would know if you converted to Catholicism.

Nevermind then…
[/quote]

Non denom
Been there, done that even bought the tee shirt :wink:

[quote=Paris Blues] but finally, my Protestant “ways” are almost “down the toilet” so to speak!
[/quote]

That is uncharitable.

[quote=Paris Blues]My question is, will there EVER be a time in my life where I will get 100% rid of them?
[/quote]

If you get rid of 100% of what you believed as a protestant, you will be getting rid of some of your Catholic “ways”—because there is much overlapping truth.

[quote=Mickey]That is uncharitable.

If you get rid of 100% of what you believed as a protestant, you will be getting rid of some of your Catholic “ways”—because there is much overlapping truth.
[/quote]

Sorry!:crying:I guess I’ll go flush myself down the toilet…or how about what I said. I take it back. I’M SORRY:(:crying:I wasn’t saying they are toilet stuff. I should’ve found a better way to say it.

You’re right about overlapping truth…

…BUT I meant when I said the Protestant ways was the “traits” which oppose to Catholic teaching, make sense? For example, I could think no, the Pope is not the Successor of Peter, that would be Protestant thinking and if I get rid of it, I’ll be Catholic thinking.

Make sense¿

[quote=Paris Blues]Sorry!:crying:I guess I’ll go flush myself down the toilet…or how about what I said. I take it back. I’M SORRY:(:crying:

You’re right about overlapping truth…

…BUT I meant when I said the Protestant ways was the “traits” which oppose to Catholic teaching, make sense? For example, I could think no, the Pope is not the Successor of Peter, that would be Protestant thinking and if I get rid of it, I’ll be Catholic thinking.
[/quote]

Yes Paris. There are many areas of protestantism that do not agree with the Catholic Church. We have Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and the Magisterial teaching office to guide us in the fullness of truth. In many areas, protestantism has thrown out the baby with the bath water. And so there will be areas that you will correct your former indoctrination.

[quote=Teakafrog]I know what you’re talking about, and I just kept praying to the Blessed Mother to lead me to the Truth of her son’s Church and take away my doubts. Ya know what? She did. :smiley:
[/quote]

This is another thing I don’t understand in Catholocism so please explain it to me. How does Mary have the power or ability to lead us anywhere? In John 14:26 Jesus said the Holy Sprit would be our counselor. Shouldn’t we turn to our counselor to lead us, not a human being?

[quote=BenQ]This is another thing I don’t understand in Catholocism so please explain it to me. How does Mary have the power or ability to lead us anywhere? In John 14:26 Jesus said the Holy Sprit would be our counselor. Shouldn’t we turn to our counselor to lead us, not a human being?
[/quote]

Mary is our Mother - and yours whether you believe it or not - and she wants us to draw closer to her son, our Lord.

[quote=Paris Blues]Mary is our Mother - and yours whether you believe it or not - and she wants us to draw closer to her son, our Lord.
[/quote]

Of course I believe that is what she would want. My question is under what power does she have the ability to lead us to the Lord? That is the job of the Holy Spirit.

ParisBlues,

Most Christians think in two different directions. Catholics have a tendency to think deductively, Protestants have a tendency to think inductively. It would take too long to explain here. What you will find is that most Protestants come over to the Catholic church for basically two reasons… a burning desire to get as close to Christ as possible, or a willingness to accept the fullness of truth no matter what the cost.

For instance, when you were a Protestant, why did you reject purgatory? You may have followed the dyed-in-the-wool Protestant line that it is not scriptual, but if you are completely honest with yourself, the answer was most likely… “Because I was only interested in free salvation and easy reward and I rejected anything that was demanding of me. I wanted to take, not give.”

It can be assumed you became a Catholic out of an intense desire to be one with Christ, (Eucharist) and because you were willing to accept the fullness of truth with such ernestness that conversion became possible.

Let me make a guess about your inner motives now. Regarding purgatory, you are probably of the mind that… “If Jesus wants me to be responsible for my life’s actions, if He wants anything in atonement from me for the life I lived, He may have whatever He wants.” Your mindset is now more aimed at giving to Him, rather than taking.

You will find that as you lose those “traits” you mentioned, nothing will be too hard or demanding of you. Whereas before, it was more like the disciples of the Lord who walked out on Him after the Lord spoke of eating His flesh and drinking His blood…

“This is a hard saying, who can listen to it?” (Or, this is demanding, we don’t want to hear it!)

Thal59

[quote=BenQ]Of course I believe that is what she would want. My question is under what power does she have the ability to lead us to the Lord? That is the job of the Holy Spirit.
[/quote]

You don’t believe it is your Christian duty to lead peole to the Lord?

Thal59

[quote=Thal59]You don’t believe it is your Christian duty to lead peole to the Lord?

Thal59
[/quote]

Yes I do but once I’m in Heaven I will no longer have that ability.

Actually, I wanted to be Catholic because the word “Catholic” was so beautiful to me! And there was something about the religion that was soooo beautiful yet I could not explain it. Though on the other hand, I was very skeptical on the teachings of the Catholic Church - because I was using my Protestant “traits” and if anything was opposed to my Protestant “traits”, it was wrong!:smiley: But the funny part was, I was wanting to be Catholic even though I was skeptical! See, God is no doubt obviously smarter than we think and just by taking His Hand so to speak, I can so trust Him! Why? He was inviting me to HIs Church even though I was doubting!!!:thumbsup:

[quote=BenQ]Yes I do but once I’m in Heaven I will no longer have that ability.
[/quote]

How do you know that? Have you ever been to Heaven before?

Or are you saying that once I am in Heaven, I don’t want to bother with it?

Thal59

Actually, if you believe what the church teaches about the saints, and the Blessed Mother, you will still lead people to Christ in heaven. Which appeals to me because, frankly, the viewpoint of spending eternity sitting on a cloud strumming a harp or an eternity of standing and worshipping God, as wonderful as that will be for a millieneum or two will get boring after a while. I need to do something. Mary guides us to Christ. Maybe because sometimes it’s easier to hear things from our Mom. Think in earthly terms. I can tell my husband something wonderfully profound. Then he’ll hear the same thing from someone else and he’ll tell me all about this wonderfully profound thing he heard. And I’ll be sitting there thinking, “I’ve been telling you that for months!” I would encourage you to embrace your protestant roots. They are part of your spiritual heritage and always will be. I feel like I am a better Catholic because I was a protestant first. I understand the differences in doctrine, dogma, etc. That leads me to research and study all the angles to my questions. I don’t just blindly accept stuff because it’s what the church teaches. I know why they teach it and why it’s correct.
Just my thoughts.
Kris

Paris:

Gosh no! All things that you learned outside of the Church that is beautiful, noble and true are your gifts to bring in. You don’t shed them like an old jacket…We need the gifts that you’ve been granted outside to mingle in with the gifts that you’re getting inside…then you have your unique set of qualities that God willing he will use for the greater glory of his kingdom!!!

As for the negative and maybe incomplete things that you had, then those are for you to elevate to the virtues that you are now working on…

God bless you girl.

in XT.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.