Starting your own Religious Order

dear Forum

Out of curiosity, I wanted to ask something. I know that you have to get the official Approval to start a new "Community/Assosciation/Fraternity/Institute". However, my question is, IF I wanted to start a Franciscan "Community" all for myself, meaning that I have my "own" schedule,rule (Although following the primary rule of St. Francis), the design of my own habit, all for myself, What would I need to do? Would I still need permission to live as a Friar, by myself?? :confused: :confused: , What would the process be???

Thank You

have you any idea how this sounds,really you have to talk to a spiritual director .you have to get out of your house,away from your computer.go find a abortion clinic to pray in front of.a food kitchen.GO DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE ELSE!! and while your doing that,do not,repeat,do not talk about yourself!

[quote="april32010, post:2, topic:293478"]
have you any idea how this sounds,really you have to talk to a spiritual director .you have to get out of your house,away from your computer.go find a abortion clinic to pray in front of.a food kitchen.GO DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE ELSE!! and while your doing that,do not,repeat,do not talk about yourself!

[/quote]

Yup.

MyM Have you been studying your math to get your grades up?:thumbsup:

If not, why not?

i just looked over your profile,i see you wantto fish.i can understand that i love to fish.i see you that you read books on fishing,me too, must have 100 on fishing,flytying,hunting.i'm 56 yrs old.i might have read i book or two on these things when i was your age,mostly magazine on them.but mostly i went fishing!.put a worm on a hook,as i said i perused your profile,done a search for your school,i see as the crow flies its about 8 km.from lake erie.trust me,i lived in erie,pa.there is a lot of fish in lake erie.go to Rondeau Provincial Park,and go fishing.

Oh alright, if you will insist ;) :D

But, smiles aside, I wasnt thinking of it in that sense, as I want to live a life of prayer, work and more prayer. I wasnt thinking of pride, although Im sorry it came across that way

[quote="mymamamary, post:6, topic:293478"]
Oh alright, if you will insist ;) :D

But, smiles aside, I wasnt thinking of it in that sense, as I want to live a life of prayer, work and more prayer. I wasnt thinking of pride, although Im sorry it came across that way

[/quote]

How did you mean it? Maybe I didnt understand the original post...

I just can't resist this. You would not be starting your own order if it is all about you. What you can do is lead a prayerful life without all the trappings. I don't think your Bishop would be happy with you running about "all dressed up and nowhere to go." A community is just that; a community, not a community of ONE. Start by doing positive things for the church and society and be mum about it. Don't let one hand know what the other is doing...just serve others and not your ego. Or you could enter an coummunity or ordrer whenever you get over yourself. Sorry.

I think I have already done this. I made my own schedule. I live by own rule. I live by myself. I have a robe…

Well, it’s a bath robe. :stuck_out_tongue:

you can not have order by yourself,you have to answer to someone.there are no free agent religious.

Sorry...the Franciscan Order (friars minor) is taken, though you can investigate becoming a lay member of almost any monastic order. These were all started by somebody moving into seclusion to be closer to God and to pray, and gradually others were attracted to that lifestyle. But...a life of only one monk in an order? Nah! If you find a group of like minded people and can prove to the Vatican that you are sincere, self supporting and being driven by the Holy Spirit to exercise a particular "charism" (calling), go for it. If you are interested, maybe you should check into joining existing orders first.
Jerry

[quote="MtnDwellar, post:9, topic:293478"]
I think I have already done this. I made my own schedule. I live by own rule. I live by myself. I have a robe...

Well, it's a bath robe. :p

[/quote]

hey,me too.maybe i was wrong.we can be c..a.f.s.i.f.o.m.
(Catholic.Answers.Forum.in.front.of.moniters.):compcoff:

BTW no-one can start an order anymore. That road is closed.

People can petition their bishop to create a society of apostolic life .

Here's how: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_apostolic_life

One of the requirements is they get a good grade in high school math;)

[quote="triumphguy, post:13, topic:293478"]

One of the requirements is they get a good grade in high school math;)

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Do not be so hard on the guy, if a young man is suppose to have big and maybe a little self centered fantasies about a great life, why not about becoming a saint and a founder of a religious order?

When St. Ignatius started off as a pilgrim, he did not know anything about love, according to himself. He was struggling between the fantasies of becoming a war hero and becoming a great saint. Years later he learned what it is to forget oneself...

But I agree with the posters above, try to focus on being a saint where you are right now, maybe you do not live to become one tomorrow. Do your homework, obey your parents, pray your rosary and smile at your classmates... Be a perfect teenager! That is prayer and penance, especially if no one notice!

Thank you everyone!

I was only looking for advice. I may be bad at Math, but I am good at my other subjects. I would gander at the reason for me being bad at math is because, well, when I was in Elementary School, I was too lazy to care.

It was just a question, I doubt it will ever happen as there are many, many fantastic Orders/societies of Apostolic Life there to choose from :o, perhaps TOO many. I thank the advice anyway, as cheeky as it got ;):p

Thank you

There is such a thing as a hermit.

But I agree that you should become active in your parish, pray, receive the sacraments, finish high school :).

[quote="mymamamary, post:1, topic:293478"]
dear Forum

Out of curiosity, I wanted to ask something. I know that you have to get the official Approval to start a new "Community/Assosciation/Fraternity/Institute". However, my question is, IF I wanted to start a Franciscan "Community" all for myself, meaning that I have my "own" schedule,rule (Although following the primary rule of St. Francis), the design of my own habit, all for myself, What would I need to do? Would I still need permission to live as a Friar, by myself?? :confused: :confused: , What would the process be???

Thank You

[/quote]

You can't start a new religious order if you don't have any experience being a religious. While with most orders we usually talk about the founder, one should realize that usually there are many people around that founder that are vital to building the order. Usually there is some significant religious background in both the founder and the people around him. Further, any good order is not just about the founder, but also about the family around the founder. If you don't have such a family around you, you can't build an order.

Anyways, you can only found an order if GOD wants you to. If he gives you the means and the knowledge, then by all means do so. But it is probably best that you become a part of an already established order.

[quote="mymamamary, post:16, topic:293478"]
Thank you everyone!

I was only looking for advice. I may be bad at Math, but I am good at my other subjects. I would gander at the reason for me being bad at math is because, well, when I was in Elementary School, I was too lazy to care.

It was just a question, I doubt it will ever happen as there are many, many fantastic Orders/societies of Apostolic Life there to choose from :o, perhaps TOO many. I thank the advice anyway, as cheeky as it got ;):p

Thank you

[/quote]

I'm just giving you a hard time because I know you want to got to a seminary and they may require a decent math grade, AND you know you can up your grade.:cool:

I'm on your side man!:thumbsup:

We need more Canadian priests!

[quote="TrueLight, post:17, topic:293478"]
There is such a thing as a hermit.

But I agree that you should become active in your parish, pray, receive the sacraments, finish high school :).

[/quote]

The problem is that hermits are expected to deal with Fibonacci numbers. :D:D:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.