State of Christ in the Eucharist

I am having trouble understanding what state Jesus is in when we receive him in the Eucharist. I have heard that during the Mass, time stops and we are made present at Calvary and so I am assuming that he is kinda like on the cross? But I have also heard that in the Eucharist, Jesus is made present to us in the state that He is in currently- which would be His glorified state in heaven. So which one is it? Are we at the foot of the cross on calvary and witnessing the Holy Sacrifice again or are we in heaven with Him?..or is it something else??

For me it’s both/and.

My spirituality is pretty Ignatian, so I use my imagination ***a lot :stuck_out_tongue: ***when I pray.
For me, this is how I experience Jesus at different points of the Mass

Introductory Rites- Jesus’ return to Jerusalem just before his arrest

Liturgy of the Word- Jesus reading the scroll in the synagogue,

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord."

Liturgy of the Eucharist- during the words of consecration, I imagine that I am there, in the upper room. During the Angus Dei and up to the point I receive I imagine I am a witness to the events at Calvary. After I receive, I am filled with the spirit of the Resurrected Christ and do my best to go out and preach the Good News to all people, in word & deed.

So that’s how I pray the Mass. :slight_smile:

Does it work for everyone? :shrug: Probably not,
but as my spiritual director would say-
“It doesn’t matter how you pray, what is important is that you pray!” :smiley:

Neither others can understand, its is mystery, above our comprehension.

His sacrifice is realized again, but the body as substance is the glorious body: above the space and time, which belongs to the species.

Here is from the Compendium of Catechism:

1. What is the Eucharist? (1322-1323 1409)
    The Eucharist is the very sacrifice of the Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus which he instituted to perpetuate the sacrifice of the cross throughout the ages until his return in glory.

2. How is Christ present in the Eucharist? (1373-1375, 1413)
    Jesus Christ is present in the Eucharist in a unique and incomparable way. He is present in a true, real and substantial way, with his Body and his Blood, with his Soul and his Divinity. In the Eucharist, therefore, there is present in a sacramental way, that is, under the Eucharistic species of bread and wine, Christ whole and entire, God and Man.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html#The%20sacraments%20of%20Christian%20initiation

Something else.but we will not go into it.

So at the Last Supper, were the disciples made present at the cross? because that would seem impossible since Jesus hadn’t offered himself up yet. Was the Last Supper a special case in and of itself?

The glorious body is out of time, exactly equally present in every time, from the creation of the world forever.

It is a mystery, we cannot comprehend the how, but the theological opinion that Moses in the burning bush communicated with Jesus in his glorious body is acceptable.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.