State of the Union Address

Did Obama say there will be unrest in the Middle East for “a generation” or “for generations”?
Could things reasonably calm down within a generation?

One would hope. Regardless I hope the next President, whoever it may be can help to bring stabilization the region.

WASHINGTON, D.C., January 12, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – A leading pro-life congressman said today that there will be at least three empty seats at tonight’s State of the Union address.

**In a press release, Congressman Steve King, R-IA, said that in addition to the gallery seat left empty by President Obama in honor of victims of gun violence, “There will be another empty seat in the gallery during Obama’s last State of the Union address. I have reserved it to commemorate the lives of more than 55 million aborted babies, **‘the chorus of voices that have never been heard in this world but are heard beautifully and clearly in the next world.’”

“My seat on the floor of Congress will also be empty,” said King. "I will be in the Member’s chapel praying for God to raise up a leader whom he will use to restore the Soul of America.”

lifesitenews.com/news/pro-life-congressman-leaves-empty-seat-at-obamas-sotu-in-honor-of-more-than

In his final state of the union address, President Barack Obama referred to Pope Francis’s speech to Congress in September.“Let me just say this,” President Obama …

More…

Thank you very much for posting that, PathFinder. May God bless you abundantly.:thumbsup:

I listened to Obama speak for about 45 seconds. he is boring and full of himself. if I were sitting behind him like Ryan and Biden I would have had a hard time not rolling my eyes at some of the boasting he did. I read some of the things he said in his speech last night. He really believes what he is saying. That is scary. I just found it to be more lies. Which doesn’t surprise me so that is why I did not waste my time watching it!

King. "I will be in the Member’s chapel praying for God to raise up a leader whom he will use to restore the Soul of America.”

Yes a divisive leader admittedly in the State of the Union. Thats the problem national security, foreign policy and a divisive leader who instills doubt and a lack of trust by narrow minded politics of a pseudo legacy. All lives matter and its we the people. And we the people need a inclusive President who speaks for ALL of us because All Lives Matter.

I listened to Obama speak for about 45 seconds. he is boring and full of himself. if I were sitting behind him like Ryan and Biden I would have had a hard time not rolling my eyes at some of the boasting he did. I read some of the things he said in his speech last night. He really believes what he is saying. That is scary. I just found it to be more lies. Which doesn’t surprise me so that is why I did not waste my time watching it!

Amen !!

Now this was an inclusive speech!

aol.com/article/2016/01/12/watch-live-nikki-haley-gives-the-gop-response-to-the-state-of-t/21296284/

I didn’t watch it as I don’t like the feelings he brings out in me when I do. How one man can get by with doing so much harm to our Nation almost all by himself, (power wise), of course he had the support of the media, and he catered to those that go against what America has always stood for. The silent majority have to stand up for what’s right before our Country is completely devastated. And look at the effect it is having on our kids and grankids!!
Fr. John Hardon SJ said, “Unless we recover the zeal and the spirit of the first century Christians - unless we are willing to do what they did and pay the price they paid, the future of our country, the days of America are numbered.” He said that about 20 years ago and we have certainly gone downhill fast since then !! Lord help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together can’t handle. I pray with Steve King R. IA. God Bless, America ! Memaw

The official transcript of the speech says, “a generation”, but I doubt he meant the literal lifespan of a person, more, likely that this particular unrest (ISIL) will pass away soon enough (and likely be replaced by a new unrest).

Interesting too that the president invoked the Holy Father when addressing his foreign policy and the current political rhetoric concerning Muslims: “His Holiness, Pope Francis, told this body from the very spot I stand tonight that 'to imitate the hatred and violence of tyrants and murderers is the best way to take their place.”’

I’ve heard worse speeches. At least he didn’t go with the now overused gimmick of pointing out all of the special guests in the audience and regaling us with little poignant vignettes about their struggles. That got old with me the first time I heard it.

:thumbsup:

Like the Little Sisters of the poor.

catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=27167

In his final State of the Union address Tuesday, President Barack Obama spoke about several issues that concern leaders of the Catholic Church in the United States, and also quoted Pope Francis, who spoke to Congress during his US visit in September.

POPE FRANCIS

The president once again gave a shout out to Pope Francis, who spoke to US lawmakers in September in a first-ever papal address.

Obama quoted the pope’s warnings about not giving into fear and causing the same kind of violence that terrorists promote.

“His Holiness, Pope Francis, told this body from the very spot I stand tonight,” Obama said, “that ‘to imitate the hatred and violence of tyrants and murderers is the best way to take their place.’

“When politicians insult Muslims, when a mosque is vandalized, or a kid bullied, that doesn’t make us safer. That’s not telling it like it is. It’s just wrong. It diminishes us in the eyes of the world,” he continued.

cruxnow.com/life/2016/01/12/obama-highlights-immigration-health-care-and-climate-during-final-state-of-the-union/

Myopic view of reality and more promised by Clinton. Its divisive and only concerned about its constituents and in a State of the Union which he admits as President has been an issue. Its we the people, all lives matter.

The only good thing that can be said of the SOTU speech is that it was his last SOTU speech (hopefully).

I think the president and the pope would agree on a great many things in the political world. And few in the theological one.
Personally I think there are many similarities and common ideologies between the two leaders. Obama is the pope Francis of America.

I kinda…maybe…sorta…in a way…liked it. :o

Was Paul Ryan making the same face blank face all night?

God have Mercy on us, especially during this Year of Mercy. God Bless, Memaw

It took a lot of effort for him not to use gestures that would have brought discredit to him and his party. It must have been painful for him to have to sit there.

One prediction that was mentioned by the President himself was that the speech would be shorter than usual. That is because he was going to list all his accomplishments during the last seven years.

Interesting perspective. In terms of image and self-presentation, maybe so, but on the other hand, on politics, there are severe differences: Obama is a secularist who believes religion and government should be fundamentally separated, whereas Pope Francis believes governments are an agent of Christ the King and should follow His law. That is a very fundamental difference in how they view the role of government, and it comes out in the kinds of laws they desire: Obama thinks abortion should be legal whereas the pope does not. Obama thinks “same-sex marriage” is a fundamental right whereas the pope thinks it is fundamentally demonic. Obama thinks corporations should be forced to provide birth control whereas the pope does not.

I did’t bother to watch .Obama is just bluster.I have such a visceral dislike for him,that I really cannot tolerate looking at or listening to him,even for a second.Counting down to the day when he is finally out of office.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.