State to mom: Stop baby-sitting neighbors' kids

There arose a generation who knew not Benjamin, George, Thomas, John or Alexander. This is what you get. A world run by community organizers who know better than you how you should live. If we want an alternative energy source we can dig up the Founding Fathers, wrap them with copper wires, insert some magnets and as they are spinning over what has happened to their Constitution, we could get at least a couple million megawatts of electricity.

From the article:

“IRVING TOWNSHIP, Mich. – Each day before the school bus comes to pick up the neighborhood’s children, Lisa Snyder did a favor for three of her fellow moms, welcoming their children into her home for about an hour before they left for school. Regulators who oversee child care, however, don’t see it as charity. Days after the start of the new school year, Snyder received a letter from the Michigan Department of Human Services warning her that if she continued, she’d be violating a law aimed at the operators of unlicensed day care centers. “I was freaked out. I was blown away,” she said. “I got on the phone immediately, called my husband, then I called all the girls” — that is, the mothers whose kids she watches — “every one of them.” Snyder’s predicament has led to a debate in Michigan about whether a law that says no one may care for unrelated children in their home for more than four weeks each calendar year unless they are licensed day-care providers needs to be changed. It also has irked parents who say they depend on such friendly offers to help them balance work and family.”

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090929/ap_on_re_us/us_baby_sitter_backlash_mich

What a bunch of inept people. A waste of time and a cause of undo stress to the sitter and the other mothers.

First of all, why wasn’t there a visit to the sitter. Apparently, no money was being charged so how could it be classified as a business? Then a discussion with the supervisor as to whether this was worth pursuing. One phone call to the Department’s attorney should have straighened everything out.

I just don’t get this. For centuries, neighbors have been helping their neighbors keep their kids safe…and now the state wants to regulate babysitting for an hour before the bus picks kids up. I don’t get it. Not to mention, I don’t get another neighbor setting the state on their neighbor. More reasons to pray.

There should be a penalty applied to people who so completely violate the most basic laws of common sense. Whoever the loser is in Michigan government who tried to apply this law here should be fired and black listed from any government employment for life.

I’m serious, WAY too many losers get a touch of government power and develop a God complex. They need a powerful dissuasive.

Yes, I AM posting angry, and YES that is always a bad idea… :wink:

And my anger is to people such as you who only blame the government and NOT THE PERSON WHO CALLED AND COMPLAINED.

Why do people only bash the government on these things? Why are you not bashing the person who called and complained? Shouldn’t we deal with the source.

That person should be forced to make a public appearance at a Town Hall Meeting and grilled (yes- grilled, not questioned) as to why they made the complaint.

It’s pretty ****** reporting by all of the major news agencies that they haven’t located this person and questioned him or her on national TV.

The sitter was interviewed on TV today. She asked them what she was suppose to do if these kids came to her house after school and it was raining or cold (live in Michigan)? Could she have them in her garage? “NO”.

Then she said, “Well, what am I to do?”

“Tell their mothers to buy them umbrellas.”

Then the sitter said well what if they were here and the parents decided to go out to dinner and I was willing to let them stay.

“No. Can’t do that.”

Are we getting crazier? First, we institued NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH to make sure kids know there are safe homes to run to when in danger and this woman gets in a jam for doing what any good friend would do.

On the other extreme of crazy we got the guy who fathered two children by a minor all of whom he kept in a backyard shed for 18 years and not one of the five investigating people, from the parole board to the police, noticed.

Then we got the nursery school shut down because someone reported the owner’s husband was having dog fights in the garage where he housed the animals which was maybe 50 feet from where the kids played on the porch.

Wow, I’m blown away by this. I can’t believe that someone would file a complaint against someone else for being charitable to their neighbors. And I can’t believe the state would actually try to prevent this woman from helping her neighbors.

Well, on second thought, I guess I don’t find it that surprising really. It seems that this is what our country is becoming more and more. Less and less charity among people and more and more governmental control of everything.

But, if I read the article correctly, it seems that some of the state’s government officials see the absurdity of the situation and maybe mean to correct it. One can only hope anyway.:shrug:

One would think common sense would prevail but I guess common sense is not in vogue these days. And besides that, is this situation the only thing authorities have to worry about in Michigan right about now? :rolleyes: I think not.

I guess it no longer takes a village to raise a child :shrug:

By rights I should be in jail because I watched kids all the time in my home when my kids were younger. We called it being “neighborly”. What a sick world we live in, one that does not love children.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.