Statement of Santa Cruz-Fr John Corapi

Statement of Santa Cruz Media, Inc. Relative to Fr. Corapi’s Suspension

Santa Cruz Media, Inc. is the owner of all of Fr. John Corapi’s intellectual property and the DVDs, CDs, and books that flow from it. We are a secular corporation and not affiliated with the Catholic Church in any way. As such, we are not under the jurisdiction of any bishop or other official in the Catholic Church, although we have the utmost respect for Church authority.

We fully support Rev. John Corapi in this terrible trial, not surprisingly having begun on Ash Wednesday. Through the sacrifice and struggle of the desert and all of the dark moments that this entails, we are confident that the glory of the risen Lord will shine forth from the power of the Resurrection and Easter.

We have consulted with a number of canon lawyers. They have assured us that the actions of the Bishop of Corpus Christi, Texas are, on several points of canon law, illicit. It is our fervent hope that The Dallas Charter will be changed because of false accusations like this. There is no evidence at this time that Fr. Corapi did anything wrong, only the unsubstantiated rant of a former employee, who, after losing her job with this office, physically assaulted me and another employee and promised to “destroy” Father Corapi. We all continue to pray for this person, and we ask you to do the same.

We sincerely believe that the work Fr. Corapi has done is of greatest value to the Church, hence hated by the devil. We fully intend to make Fr. Corapi’s material available as a service to the Church and the world for as long as we possibly can.

The Church provides no financial support to Fr. Corapi. He has to pay for his own legal representation, medical costs, food, housing, etc. We have never accepted donations or charitable contributions of any kind. We are supporting Father’s efforts to defend himself. Your purchase of products from Santa Cruz Media helps provide the funding for Father’s continued work as well as the legal expenses he continues to incur as a result of these malicious allegations.

Father Corapi and all of us here at Santa Cruz Media, Inc. greatly appreciate your kindness, support, and prayers. Please continue to pray for Father Corapi and his accuser, as well as all priests who find themselves in this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Bobbi Ruffatto
Vice President of Operations
Santa Cruz Media, Inc.
(received this in my e-mail and I can’t seem to find the address:shrug:)

Here is the same letter from another website.

rootofjesse2.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/fr-corapi-incident-comes-from-disgruntled-santa-cruz-media-employee/

I find it somewhat disturbing that they are charging that the local bishop’s actions are illicit, particularly in the absence of any corroborating details. That seems a gratuitous attack on the hierachy.

What is REALLY interesting here are the new details about the accuser. Apparently, not only was she a former employee of Fr. Corapi, but then later worked for Santa Cruz. The description of her termination and subsequent violent outburst I believe speaks volumes about the motives of the accuser.

In light of this, I would hope that the Catholic media would question whether a “credible” accusation even exists here. If not, Father’s past work should be reinstated ASAP.

Let us all intensely pray for Father and everyone else…Jesus, I trust You…

The statement I gave came from his own website into my hotmail. I went to his site and could not find it…I do not understand.

I find this statement disturbing. Calling the bishop of Corpus Christi’s actions “illicit?” Wow. And then ending with an advertising pitch to buy more stuff? Wow. My understanding is that Fr. Corapi is a multi-millionaire, and I am sure he will be just fine without my financial support. I sincerely hope that this release was a bone-head move by someone with more enthusiam than judgment, and not something approved by Fr. Corapi. He should ask them to retract it.

I will wait until the Bishop of Corpus Christi or the superior of Fr. Corapi’s order issues a statement. quotes from links to more links to more blogs are not sources to my journalistic mind. i will also wait until an independent authority releases Fr. Corapi’s personal financial data (vs that of a civil corporation that distributes his materials) before I accept the oft repeated claim on these forums that he has control of a personal fortune.

I was going to post this myself, but noticed you beat me to it.

The new details are interesting; and not all together unexpected from my instinct - nonetheless I agree with the above poster - Pray, pray, and pray.

I should also add - we should, regardless of what we may think of how the situation is being handled by the Church, be obedient and respectful.

I am reminded of the account in St. Fautina’s Diary where she was given the grace to experience the passion of Jesus.

During Lent we are invited to Journey with Jesus; indeed - Fr. Corapi is seemingly doing so via a heavy cross.

Peace,
Joel

I suspect that she was an employee of Santa Cruz Media and Fr. Corapi at the same time, as Fr. Corapi probably owns and/or controls SCM. Does anyone know?

We have consulted with a number of canon lawyers. They have assured us that the actions of the Bishop of Corpus Christi, Texas are, on several points of canon law, illicit.

It wasn’t Santa Cruz that declared it illicit, it was the Canon lawyers. That is all I know about this. Father Corapi said he would obey the superiors.

As for Fr being a multi-millionaire…have you got proof of this? That statement demands proof. I know when he has a conference he does not charge for himself at all. I assume his trips to be paid for as well as his board…other than that…

TMC, surely you don’t really think that the judjement of this person is wrong regarding the innocence of Fr. John Corapi.

It’s in the email newsletter 3-25-11…on his website fathercorapi.com

Fr. Corapi has said himself many times that he got millions of dollars in a settlement from a lawsuit, and that he used some of that money to buy a ranch in Montana and other things. So he starts with that money, and he has since sold a lot of tickets, DVDs etc. I think that his own statements suffice to show that he is a wealthy man. There is nothing wrong with him being wealthy - he has not taken any vow of poverty - but I don’t think he needs my financial help, which is what the statement from his media company implied.

I don’t know if the judgment of this person is right or wrong, but I know it is wrong for Catholics to react to the situation by attacking the bishop charged with investigating the charges.

I have always been a bit confused, and concerned, about how the financial aspect works out. Concerned in the sense that I know EWTN distributes their archived material free-of-charge, and that seems to be in line with “Freely you have received, freely you must give,” but I am left wondering why Fr. Corapi doesn’t do the same. (If he was a secular businessman I wouldn’t wonder, but as a very visible religious representative it gives me pause.)

Plus, I thought as part of a religious order whatever money you make goes to the order and then is re-distributed as needed. (I know very little of the actual internal affairs of religious orders)

I would welcome a better understanding of how the finances work in Fr. Corapi’s case. (I even sent an comment to his website once expressing my concern, but didn’t hear anything back).

My concern over finances aside, I’ve been deeply touched by his ministry.

I’m pretty happy to see that Santa Cruz is supporting Fr. Corapi in the absence of anything other than a “he said, she said” type of accusation. In justice, there needs to be evidence against Fr. Corapi before he is disciplined. In the absence of some sort of evidence, how can justice ever truly be served?

I’m personally of the opinion that these charges are false. Hopefully they really are false. Anyway, it sounds like a vengeful person is out to destroy someone who has done great good. Hate to see it happen.

Yeah, that’s a most excellent point.

**We have consulted with a number of canon lawyers. They have assured us that the actions of the Bishop of Corpus Christi, Texas are, on several points of canon law, illicit.

**It wasn’t Santa Cruz that declared it illicit, it was the Canon lawyers. That is all I know about this. Father Corapi said he would obey the superiors.

As for Fr being a multi-millionaire…have you got proof of this? That statement demands proof. I know when he has a conference he does not charge for himself at all. I assume his trips to be paid for as well as his board…other than that…

My apologies…I made a mistake by not bolding the statement above given by Santa Cruz and not myself…does this make sense…?

Here you go, the Montana Secretary of State page for Santa Cruz Media, Inc.:

app.mt.gov/cgi-bin/bes/besCertificate.cgi?action=detail&bessearch=F041446&trans_id=besa11083164248758101

You’ll have to pay $2.00 to see who runs the show (i.e., who the officers and directors are). If you scroll down, you can see that Fr. Corapi is the registered agent for service of process, though, which suggests that Santa Cruz Media, Inc. is a very small operation.

Father Corapi has stated that his entity is set up as for-profit, so that he can not be censored for speaking out on certain issues.

As far as needing money, he may or may not need money. Santa Cruz media, like most companies plans on a certain level of sales to pay ongoing operating cost etc. Santa Cruz might have issues if all sales are halted for a period of months. Note if they have a fear of lawsuits they also would not keep a lot of capital in the company at any given time either to protect against outrageous awards.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.