States Allowing Medical Marijuana Have Fewer Painkiller Deaths

States that have legalized medical marijuana tend to experience an unexpected benefit – fewer overdose deaths from narcotic painkillers, a new study suggests.

Access to medical marijuana is associated with 25 percent fewer prescription drug overdose deaths each year compared to states where medical pot is illegal, according to findings published Aug. 25 in JAMA Internal Medicine.

What’s more, states that pass medical marijuana laws see their overdose death rates decrease dramatically in the years immediately afterward, researchers reported.

The study authors believe that people suffering from chronic pain tend to rely on medical marijuana when they have that option, which reduces the risk of addiction and overdose that accompanies use of narcotic medications.

webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20140825/fewer-painkiller-deaths-in-states-with-medical-marijuana-study

webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20140825/fewer-painkiller-deaths-in-states-with-medical-marijuana-study

Interesting. Years ago it was called the “morphine push out” when you start giving morphine in doses that really will kill a person.

I don’t think that pushing for legalized weed on the off chance that someone, somewhere may not accidentally take too many painkillers (but primarily because many really want to get high with friends) is world news.

Weed has become the new religion.

Knee-jerk replies to follow.

I am for the legalization of medical marijuana but with very strict regulations and by prescription only and even then only for serious medical conditions.

That said, it is interesting that legalizing medical marijuana has this effect. I wonder if the reason is because more people with chronic pain are relying on medical marijuana for pain relief rather than on other painkillers?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.