States turn down U.S. abstinence educations grants

Sad, $50 million in federal funding available this year and only $21 million has been distributed because Governors are rejecting the money.

ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jp6w3u-FGlN-0E0LAtik9qdRYBpQD91GKIIO5

ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ggyc4Pgtets6V1VkALG1qubiCCuQD91GJE7G0

The 28 states participating in a federal abstinence education program and the amount they have received in federal grants this year:

Alabama, $716,369

Arizona, $776,082

Arkansas, $440,640

Florida, $1.9 million

Georgia, $1.1 million

Hawaii, $122,091

Illinois, $1.4 million

Indiana, $565,556

Iowa, $238,648

Kansas, $252,832

Kentucky, $612,974

Louisiana, 962,673

Maryland, $427,257

Michigan, $1.1 million

Mississippi, $621,716

Missouri, $664,196

Nebraska, $164,055

Nevada, $210,130.

New Hampshire, $71,177

North Carolina, $936,723

North Dakota, $66,744

Oklahoma, $517,756

Oregon, $365,772

South Carolina, $563,972

South Dakota, $102,285

Texas, $3.6 million

Utah, $216,117

West Virginia, $289,389

A federal tally shows that participation in the program is down 40 percent over two years, with 28 states still in. Arizona and Iowa have announced their intention to forgo their share of the federal grant at the start of the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1.

Have you seen the results since “abstinence only” was implemented?

It’s simple; the government program not only doesn’t work, it makes things worse.

I don’t understand. Is it the program that doesn’t work or is it that the people that don’t follow what the program says get pregnant? Abstinence from sexual relations is the only 100% effective method for not getting pregnant. So the program obviously works. Or is it that the program as it is offered is so poorly done that it doesn’t communicate the message effectively?

This is no surprise. Not everyone feels that waiting for marriage is for them (right or wrong). So not everyone is going to follow this method. I think most people know that abstinence is the only way to avoid pregnancy 100%. It should not take millions of dollars to convey that message. However, children are going to have sex anyway(even though they shouldn’t). If they do, they should also be aware of the other options. Condoms, birth control.

I don’t understand. Is it the program that doesn’t work

Yep. When we switched over to abstinence only, pregnancy rates for teens went up sharply.

or is it that the people that don’t follow what the program says get pregnant?

That’s why. The program is ineffective, and fails to explain how to protect yourself if you are sexually active. Yes, I know teens shouldn’t be. But reality intrudes here. The program doesn’t work.

Or is it that the program as it is offered is so poorly done that it doesn’t communicate the message effectively?

Could be. But it doesn’t work as well as comprehensive sex education, at least in the forms being tried now. I think I know why.

That kind of thing probably should be offered in churches, with values and faith education that are not legal in public schools.

originally posted by b_justb
I don’t understand. Is it the program that doesn’t work or is it that the people that don’t follow what the program says get pregnant?

It is not that the program doesn’t work but it is how it is implemented. The Governor gets the money and works with Health and Human Services which are either headed by or have a number of prochoice individuals on the committee.

Even if you have a strong prolife group on abstinence that attends every hearing, and there are many, many hearing and many in which prolifers often are not allowed a voice to put information in.

I know one man who has followed abstinence funding as a life vocation and he tells so many stories about how things get derailed, how brutal it is and the constant battle even to keep the funding.When the prolife groups recommend an excellent program, the Health and Human Service turn around and waste it on television advertising or something that simply doesn’t work meanwhile touting that abstinence education doesn’t work.

Have you ever heard of a give away program funded by the federal government in which the states don’t take the grant money - that tells us a lot - politics.

Prochoice sites are printing articles espousing this as one of their victories this year.

But it isn’t quite a give away since states have to put up $3 of their own money for every $4 they get from the federal government. That is a sizable buy-in. If the programs in their states aren’t generating positive results, it is easy to believe that such programs would fall to the floor during budget trimming.

It’s pretty simple. The federal government offered a program. The states tried it, and it made things worse.

And so they don’t want it any more. No surprise there.

Right, the government gives way 50 million free dollars to states that will have to partially match it and almost half of the governors of the states refuse to take it

Maine -John Baldacci -Democratic Governor

Massachusetts - Deval Patrick -Democratic Governor

Rhode Island - Donald Carcieri -Democratic Governor

New York-David Paterson -Democratic Governor

Washington-Christine Gregoire -Democratic governor

Montana -Brain Schweitzer - Democratic governor

Colorado - Bill Ritter - Democratic Governor

New Mexico -Bill Richardson-Democratic Governor

Wyoming- Dave Freudenthal-Democratic Governor

Michigan-Jennifer Granholm-Democratic Governor

Ohio -Ted Strickland - Democratic Governor

Pennsylvania-Ed Rendell -Democratic Governor

Tennessee-: Phil Bredesen -Democratic Governor

Arizonia will be opting out Oct. 1-Janet Napolitano -Democratic governor

Iowa will opting out-Oct. 1-Chet Culver-Democratic Governor

Why am I not surprised that these states refused abstinent money?

R - Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn’t surprise me either.

To be fair, “republican” doesn’t mean “stupid.” Many republicans have also pointed out that the program aggravates the problem it was supposed to fix.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.