Stations nor any other devotion should be prayed during exposition

All -

I just came across this, I had never heard it before, and thought I would share it.

I was wondering if anyone has any comments on it, etc.

…neither the Stations of the Cross nor any other devotion should be prayed during exposition of the Eucharist…

usccb.org/liturgy/q&a/devotions/stats.shtml

"

Devotions and Eucharistic Adoration

May the Stations of the Cross be prayed during Eucharistic Adoration? I thought that the focus was on Jesus present on the altar and not on his passion. Please clarify this for me?

Regarding the praying of the stations of the cross during eucharistic exposition, I would refer you to numbers 15-16 of the Order for Solemn Exposition of the Holy Eucharist, which is a convenient collection of the rubrics and directives of the liturgical books regarding eucharistic exposition and benediction:

“During the exposition there should be prayers, songs, and readings to direct the attention of the faithful to the worship of Christ the Lord. To encourage a prayerful spirit, there should be readings from Scripture with a brief homily or exhortations to develop a better understanding of the eucharistic mystery. It is also desirable for the people to respond to the word of God by singing and to spend some periods of time in religious silence (See Holy Communion and Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass, number 95).”

“Part of the liturgy of the hours, especially the principal hours, may be celebrated before the blessed sacrament, when there is a lengthy period of exposition., This liturgy extends the praise and thanksgiving offered to God in the eucharistic celebration to the several hours of the day; it directs the prayers of the Church to Christ and through him to the Father in the name of the whole world. (See Holy Communion and Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass, number 96).”

Note that these two paragraphs are taken from Holy Communion and Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass, which is a part of the Roman Ritual.

In the light of these directives, the Order for Solemn Exposition of the Holy Eucharist provides several settings for the Liturgy of the Hours and two Eucharistic Services of Prayer and Praise. These liturgies are designed to “acknowledge Christ’s marvelous presence in the sacrament and invites us to the spiritual union with him that culminates in sacramental communion.” (Order for Solemn Exposition of the Holy Eucharist, number 7)

Eucharistic exposition and benediction are no longer considered devotions, but rather are a part of the Church’s official liturgy. Whereas in the past benediction was frequently added on to the end of another service or devotion, this is no longer permitted. Eucharistic exposition and benediction is a complete liturgical service in its own right and is to be celebrated as such.

The Stations of the Cross is an ancient and venerable devotion which is designed to foster a devotion to and meditation on the mystery of the Passion of Christ. As commendable as such a devotion may be, it can never fulfill the purpose of eucharistic adoration, that is to draw us more deeply into the mystery of Christ’s presence in the Holy Eucharist. Therefore, neither the Stations of the Cross nor any other devotion should be prayed during exposition of the Eucharist.

I would strongly encourage anyone involved in the planning of eucharistic devotions to bear in mind that the purpose of all exposition is adoration of Christ present in the Blessed Sacrament. The liturgies which the Church provides for us in the Order for Solemn Exposition of the Holy Eucharist should provide the basis for all solemn eucharistic worship.

"

With Faith, Hope, And Love…

• Mark Kamoski

Wondering if that applies to perpetual adoration. Many rosaries have been prayed in our chapel, both privately and in groups.

And also wondering how something like an Evening of Recollection by Opus Dei fits in. My experience is that this is done in the presence of our Lord.

Not challenging, Just wondering out loud how these fit in.

-Tim-

Praying the Rosary and the LOTH is perfectly fine once one remains in situ.

Meditating on he Stations of the Cross whilst remaining in situ is fine too. What is not so fine is ‘doing the Stations’ or any other devotion around the Church whilst the Blessed Sacrament is exposed on the Altar as it distracts your attention away from it to the pictures on the wall or statues about the Church.

We must be oriented towards the Host when Jesus is exposed on the Altar.

I would strongly encourage anyone involved in the planning of eucharistic devotions to bear in mind that the purpose of all exposition is adoration of Christ present in the Blessed Sacrament. The liturgies which the Church provides for us in the Order for Solemn Exposition of the Holy Eucharist should provide the basis for all solemn eucharistic worship.

This is a very strange entry on the USCCB site. It is written in the first person but unsigned. It also doesn’t have a date, which is unusual for directives from the USCCB.

It seems that this is one person’s opinion offered for the purpose of helping planned Adoration hours or maybe 40 Hours type devotions.

The article, while focusing on the Stations of the Cross, seems to run contrary to the directive of the Vatican on the Rosary during Adoration. The same objections were raised about the Rosary and the Vatican said the recitation of the Rosary during Adoration was most appropriate.

adoremus.org/599Rosary.html

usccb.org/liturgy/q&a/devotions/stats.shtml

This is apparently an ‘apologist’ answer about the nature of the Eucharistic Adoration, and disapproves only the communal devotion for the Stations of the Cross. The decision is quite logical: If Jesus is exposed you must turn toward him. Private mental meditation using the sequence of the stations of the cross is not forbidden. Praying the Liturgy of Hours as community is allowed.

For me the new is, that the Litanies, Rosary, or any other devotions cannot be end with Benediction, but probably this is just matter of words: the Benediction as separate rite can be done after the devotion. Should the priest leave to the Sacristy and come back?

I’ve always prayed the Rosary, or The Chaplet of Faith. I have a prayer book that I have compiled over the years and read from that. I also like to spend time in quiet reflection and converse in my mind with our Lord. He is always the focal point.

Corki -

This is really GOOD NEWS.

Thank you for sharing it and the link and etc.

May The Lord Let His Face Shine On You.

• Mark Kamoski

I think we are confusing 2 things
the usccb article is addressing the specific question of a formal Holy Hour with Exposition, adoration and benediction, which as explained has its own specific rite that should not be changed. The same with 40 hours, there is a specific format.

The letter does not address perpetual adoration where individuals worship for a specific period of time, and may at times if the group agrees, pray other devotions, as individual private devotions by one person or in small groups, nor does it address what an individual may do on his own during his period of adoration.

That’s a lot of good info. Where would I find the specifics (special formats) for the different forms. My wife and I have just this year started going to adoration. This is definitely an area that we need to learn more about.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.