Stations of the Cross in the Colosseum

FYI

Right now, EWTN is showing the Stations of the Cross from the Colosseum. Inspiring, especially when you remember the number of Christians put to death there.

=LindaSK;6479873]FYI

Right now, EWTN is showing the Stations of the Cross from the Colosseum. Inspiring, especially when you remember the number of Christians put to death there

Are you sure on this?-----something in my memory says that historians cannot say for certain Christians were killed there. I guess time to look it up.

Somewhere along the line, I was taught that, but, it seems you may be right. I stand corrected. Stations there was still powerful.

rambambashi.wordpress.com/2009/12/24/common-errors-27-christians-in-the-colosseum/
…The Persecutions were very serious, and you do not need to be a Christian to abhor from the state’s violence against its own citizens. It is always fitting and proper to commemorate the slaughtered innocents. For this reason, pope Benedict XIV (r.1740-1758) dedicated the Colosseum to the memory of the Christian martyrs killed in the arena.* The problem is that this is probably not a historical fact.**

There are several texts about the martyrdom of Roman Christians. We know that Sebastian was executed on the Palatine and that Agnes suffered in the Stadium of Domitian. But no one is mentioned as being killed in the Flavian Amphitheater, as the execution theater was officially called. In the Acts of Justin, Chariton, Charito, Euelpistus, Hierax, Paeon, Liberian, and their Company, we read that these people were led “to the usual place”, which has been taken as a reference to the Colosseum, because we do not know which alternatives exist. However, this is poor evidence, and the fact that the Colosseum is not mentioned in Medieval catalogs of martyr shrines can mean only two things: if Christians were killed in the Colosseum, it was forgotten in the Middle Ages, or there were no Christians killed over there.

Of course, this does not mean that Benedict’s cross must be removed. It is part of the history of the Colosseum, and besides, it is never wrong to spend a thought about the terrible things that happened on this terrible place.*

the-colosseum.net/history/martyrium_en.htm
Too much to cut and paste!!

Some sources I found said most Christians were martyred in the Circus Maximus, primarily because it held more spectators - good for the economy. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Sometimes, sadly so.

St. Ignatius may be the only Christian martyred in the Colosseum.

Thanks for encouraging me to do some research!

Have a blessed Easter.
Linda

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.