Stations of the Cross

Every Friday during lent I like to go to church for Stations of the Cross , but I get tired right after work and it’s always so busy at my church. I have the booklet at home and I’m praying the rosary daily for lent ,so do you think I’m showing my love for God the same way if I mediate on the stations of the cross at home , or is better to go to church and pray there? Not talking about mass, just to be clear

I have no idea what you mean by “It is busy at my church”.

There is no requirment that you attend stations. People attend because they want to not because there is any obligation to. My Parish offers “simple lenten suppers” at 6 and stations at 7. Tonights dinner was veggie lasagna or Penne w/ marinara, salad and garlic bread. The Girl Scout troop puts the dinner together as their annual service project.

If you are able to go, by all means, go. However, do not waste 1 minute feeling guilty that you were either unable to go or simply didn’t want to go. Devotion to God should never feel like a chore or an obligation. If is does, then you are missing the bigger picture.

Meditating on the passion and sacrifice of Christ can be a very spiritually enriching experience, regardless of the method (the Stations of the Cross, the Sorrowful Mysteries on the Rosary, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, etc.) and regardless of the location. So I would say that it is perfectly fine to do the Stations of the Cross at home.

Nevertheless, one would want to be mindful of the location if a person is specifically doing the Stations of the Cross in conjunction with gaining a Plenary Indulgence. In such a case, the Enchiridion of Indulgences states, “This devout exercise must be performed before stations of the cross which have been lawfully erected” (#63). In this context, “lawfully erected” usually refers to the stations of the cross mounted in a church or chapel, or in an outside area where they have been erected for public worship.

It is definitely more effective to be at Church for Stations of the Cross. That is why you may obtain a plenary indulgence if following the Stations at Church, but not at home. However, if you are truly exhausted from working all day, don’t beat yourself up over it! Just go when you can and make it a sacrificial offering to Christ when you do go. I’m sure Jesus doesn’t want you to kill yourself getting there every week. He understands exhaustion, too.

Incidentally, you should try coming to MY church for Stations of the Cross. I live in a HUGE parish and last night there were only 12 people there. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.