Stations of the Cross

OK, so I have been doing the Stations of the Cross every Friday since Lent Began, but I usually have no time to go to services. I do them privately because of this, last night I couldn't do them until 2am. Is it preferable that one attend the services or is private prayer just as acceptable? This is one aspect of our faith that I could never figure out, any thoughts would be appreciated.

The kids and I do them at home. Every year they draw out tge stations on art paper, we hang them in our hallway, and on Fridays we pray.

Do what your circumstances allow you to do and be at peace. The Lord loves you and will reward your prayers, whether public or private.

[quote="J_the_Centrist, post:1, topic:316121"]
OK, so I have been doing the Stations of the Cross every Friday since Lent Began, but I usually have no time to go to services. I do them privately because of this, last night I couldn't do them until 2am. Is it preferable that one attend the services or is private prayer just as acceptable? This is one aspect of our faith that I could never figure out, any thoughts would be appreciated.

[/quote]

It is always good to do them. Are you trying to obtain an indulgence also? Then use the Stations erected legitimately in a church or oratory. This devotion may be done alone.

Also a plenary indulgence can be obtained by making the Way of the Cross on Good Friday even through televised participation for the Holy Father’s Stations.

I always pray them privately daily during Lent. Being Byzantine Catholic we have the stations on our wall in church but for some reason our priest doesn`t have the practice of the devotion in church.:shrug: We used to years ago with other priests. Now we have a presantified Mass every Wednesday during Lent whic we attend.

[quote="chococat, post:5, topic:316121"]
I always pray them privately daily during Lent. Being Byzantine Catholic we have the stations on our wall in church but for some reason our priest doesn`t have the practice of the devotion in church.:shrug: We used to years ago with other priests. Now we have a presantified Mass every Wednesday during Lent whic we attend.

[/quote]

What you describe is a restoration of the Byzantine practice, since the Stations of the Cross are an import from the Latin Church. The Byzantine liturgies are the Divine Liturgy, Panachida, Matins (Orthros), Vespers, Moleben, Akathist, Paraclesis, and the celebration of the Holy Mysteries (other than Confession).

[quote="Vico, post:4, topic:316121"]
It is always good to do them. Are you trying to obtain an indulgence also? Then use the Stations erected legitimately in a church or oratory. This devotion may be done alone.

Also a plenary indulgence can be obtained by making the Way of the Cross on Good Friday even through televised participation for the Holy Father’s Stations.

[/quote]

No indulgence, just devoted worship that's all. Good Friday is different, I will try to make it for services for that. If I fail to do so, there's always EWTN. :D

[quote="Jennifoo, post:3, topic:316121"]
Do what your circumstances allow you to do and be at peace. The Lord loves you and will reward your prayers, whether public or private.

[/quote]

Thank you for your kind words, for some reason they moved me deeply!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.