Stations of the Cross

Today, I decided that I want to start praying the Stations of the Cross. I thought that maybe instead of the Divine Mercy Chaplet on Friday or Sunday, I could do the Stations of the Cross. Which day would be better to do it? How should I go about doing it-maybe do half on Friday and half on Sunday? Or should I do all the Stations on one of those days. I was thinking Sunday because it would be a way for me to make Sunday a day more for Christ.

Does anyone have any good websites I can use for praying the Stations of the Cross? I look forward to hearing your ideas and suggestions.

Thank you all, and may God bless you. May our Blessed Mother always protect and be with you!

Hey again!

Saint Alphonsus Liguori has a very famous and popular way of praying the Stations of the Cross. Here is a link to a page that has it in its entirety:

fisheaters.com/stations.html

Just scroll down a little bit and then you will see it.

I would recommend doing the Stations on Fridays, all at once, because Friday is a penitential day throughout the year, and is a good day to recall to Passion and Death of Christ Jesus due to the fat that Jesus obviously died on a Friday.

I would leave Sunday’s for more joyful, Resurrection-based prayers and reflections, because it is a solemnity, as weekly mini-Easter in which we recall Christ Jesus’ victory over the devil, over sin, and over death. Thus, it is fitting that you can think of each Friday of the year, as a mini-Good Friday when we recall His suffering and Death for our salvation.

May God bless you abundantly and forever! :slight_smile:

My favorite version of the Way of the Cross is the one with St. Faustina, found here.

I love this link also. Thanks for sharing this. :slight_smile:

Blessed John Henry Newman also wrote some meditations for the Stations:

newmanreader.org/works/meditations/meditations5.html#stations

You can pray the Stations whenever you want - though you should pray them in a Church, moving from each station to the next (part of the prayer of the Stations is movement). In addition, provided the regular conditions are met (reception of communion the day of, confession within a week before or after, no attachment to even venial sin, prayers offered for the intentions of the Pope), you gain a plenary indulgence (once per day) when you pray the Stations.

Our adoration hour is on thursday, so we signed up for the 2:00pm -3:00pm hour. I usually finish the hour doing the Stations. :slight_smile:

Last Friday, I just prayed the Stations of the Cross while lying in bed during the 3:00 hour. Is that acceptable?

I prayed the Stations of the Cross while lying in bed during the Hour of Mercy. Is that accpetable?

There is a certain charm to the movement from station to station in a church but, as with all private devotions, there is no “right” or “wrong” way to proceed. I have a Stations of the Cross “rosary” – only my fingers move when I meditate upon it. :wink:

I guess that’s fine haha. Did you happen to use the formula of Saint Alphonsus Liguori? :slight_smile:

I actually used Catholic.org and their reflections. Maybe this Friday I’ll try a different one.

I love the Stations of the Cross. I like to stay after daily Mass to say them so I can walk from station to station. I also might pray the Stations of the Cross while at Adoration. I have several different booklets I use. I pray them all at once. Fridays would be a nice day to pray them, but you can pray them anytime.

I put up station of the cross in a path through our woodlands. So I climb and descend. The placing of Jesus in the Tomb is at the culvert that runs under a road (about 15 ft over my head). I added a bench at the Crucifixion for a period of longer meditation.

You can pray anytime, anywhere. But you may need to pray the stations in a church to receive the indulgence since it may require a blessed set of images.

How wonderful you made your own private Stations of the Cross in the woods. What a good place for meditation.

Now that is fantastic!
Regards!

That’s really nice and really awesome! :slight_smile:

God Bless! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.