Statues and other sacramentals - cleaning out parent's home

I am gradually cleaning out my parent’s home and being deeply devout there are religious statues (some about 18" tall), plaques of Mary and many different religious hanging on walls, by doorways, etc. I can only take a small amount for myself as I live in a small apartment. I called a couple of churches and they cannot take any. More than likely these are all blessed and I know cannot be sold. Any ideas? thanks,

If a storage place isn’t an option or leaving them with friends, have a rummage sale. Yeah, the purchaser would need to have to re-blessed I believe… OR, maybe an ad in your Church’s bulletin or ask the priest if he knows anyone you can give them to? Or, just make the space and have a little area for your own shrine. :slight_smile:

Hi Roza,
I do have a shrine and there is so much more at their home. I was thinking to ask the priest in my parish to maybe put a table when they have the christmas fair and say the statues are free (as they are blessed).

More than likely these are all blessed and I know cannot be sold.

They can be sold. What you cannot do is try to sell the blessing. For example, you couldn’t charge more for the blessed ones than the unblessed ones.

The blessing doesn’t get sold, only the statue/picture, etc. The new owner can have it blessed since it now belongs to him.

That is my understanding as well. All blessings are immediately null and void as soon as the object belongs to someone else. The objects no longer have a blessing attached as they don’t belong to your parents anymore.

You can’t tell someone you are selling a “blessed rosary” for $100 because it’s more special. You can, however, sell a rosary that have been previously blessed. The owner would know they need to get it blessed themselves…well, most would, not all.

Of course, giving them away is a very good, noble cause!

I thought it was just selling something that made the blessing null & void. So if you buy something for someone, have it blessed, and give it to them it would no longer be blessed? I told you I slept the first time as a Catholic and there’s a lot I don’t know. I’ll be totally honest about it.

No in your hypothetical case it was blessed after the sale. A gift is not a sale.

Ok, question 2, if you inherit something that was blessed, should you get it reblessed? It wouldn’t hurt I guess. I have salt and oil to get blessed yet and yeah, still getting my new age dabbling days out of my head with that.

I know of a couple who collects things like this and sends them to convents established by Mother Teresa’s nuns around the world. If you would like the things to go there, pm me and I will find the address.

I always thought that - plain and simple - you’re not supposed to sell anything blessed. Hence, no set price (but rather a donation) for a Mass. I’d never heard that the blessing becomes null and void once sold for a price - this is a first. But I was going to suggest donating to someone who would be sure to want them - or whoever gave that great idea of donating for Christmas Fair, etc.

It’s the blessed objects that put the question to it. I fully understand. My house is filled with religious images, statues, etc. I wouldn’t be able to tell you which are blessed and which aren’t. I do know there’s a few I could never part with for sentimental reasons. Amazing what we accumulate - Please, God, if only our souls could accumulate as many blessings as we do statues.

Here’s a few links for you -

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=216753&highlight=blessed+items+sold

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=50661&highlight=blessed+items+sold

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=102136&highlight=blessed+items+sold

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=6150&highlight=blessed+items+sold

So, for all intents and purposes, the blessing is no longer valid. You can sell a statue as a statue. You cannot sell the statue as blessed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.