Statues of Our Lady

Hi all

A discussion has come up at our parish about whether there is a standard 'Our Lady, Help of Christians' statue, as there is for Our Lady of Grace and others.

The parish is called Our Lady Help of Christians and our new parish priest would like a statue of Our Lady, in this aspect, added to the sanctuary. We have a very nice statue of Our Lady in the Lady Chapel, which we believe is Our Lady Help of Christians (it has been there since the church was built), but it looks very similar to Mary as Queen of Heaven - she is crowned, but is also holding a crowned infant Jesus. Would a Queen of Heaven statue not have the child Jesus?

Statuary is not a strong point but I'm sure there will be some learned person on here who can help.

All the best

Martin

[quote="Martin15, post:1, topic:295021"]
Hi all

A discussion has come up at our parish about whether there is a standard 'Our Lady, Help of Christians' statue, as there is for Our Lady of Grace and others.

The parish is called Our Lady Help of Christians and our new parish priest would like a statue of Our Lady, in this aspect, added to the sanctuary. We have a very nice statue of Our Lady in the Lady Chapel, which we believe is Our Lady Help of Christians (it has been there since the church was built), but it looks very similar to Mary as Queen of Heaven - she is crowned, but is also holding a crowned infant Jesus. Would a Queen of Heaven statue not have the child Jesus?

Statuary is not a strong point but I'm sure there will be some learned person on here who can help.

All the best

Martin

[/quote]

I Googled "statue of our lady help of christians" and came up with a number of images holding the Christ Child who is crowned. However, all the images are different. I did not look at everything. You might want to Google this and check out the images for yourself and perhaps you will find the one in your church. It certainly looks as if there is no standard statue.

These are what I found:

http://www.kingrichards.com/pics/catalog2/209/987209.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xwHJjVj3Ll4/Sgx10Pwd5aI/AAAAAAAACig/jfqkWoT9oos/Copy%20of%20Our_Lady_of_Riverhead%20005_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_X5BQbecGrps/S9s2S2tByjI/AAAAAAABRNo/0MSsQanG_kA/s640/DSCN9669.JPG

There of course are many different types of statues, but those I posted are the most common ones I found.

Our salesian parish has a great devotion to Our Lady Help of Christians. And yes, the previous images are all of Our Lady Help of Christians. We have two life size statues of her.

Thanks for all you replies,

The main thing I was wondering about was the presence of ‘royal’ regalia - an orb/sceptre, which made me think of Mary, Queen of Heaven. It seems that the Mary, Help of Christians aspect will be similar to the Queen of Heaven, but with the child Jesus.

Thanks again for the help.

Martin

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.