Status of Anglican use (AC) in US?

Couldn’t find a forum to put this under - moderator please move if you think there is a more appropriate thread.

I’m wondering about the Anglican usage Pope Benedict provided for a while ago and which was recently erected in the US.

So far as I know only 2 parishes have come in under the provision. The response has not been as great as initially anticipated.

There are Anglican use groups in several cities now but these are not parish based.

In terms of Anglican parishes in the US, does anyone have a current status of those parishes considereding entering the church as a corproal group?

The Ordinariate has only been in place for less than 2 months so the fact that few parishes have been able to make the move is hardly surprising. Heck, Msgr. Steenson was just installed as the Ordinary on Feb, 12.

As for the Anglican Use parishes that came in under the Pastoral Provision, I am not sure what you mean but them not being parish based. Could you please expand on that statement?

The Anglican Use turned out to produce maybe 5 or 6 parishes after 20 plus years. It was not well received for whatever reason.

Still, 2 or 3 of those parishes came in corporally. As in church building, most of the congregation.

That seems to have been the hope of the latest initiative. I am not sure how realsitic that is. Two groups have come in corporarally - both in Maryland I think.

My question, to clarify, are there any other Episcopal/Anglican parishes in the US considering coming in “corpoarally” to the Catholic church at this time?

The Anglican use Society reports double that number.

Our Lady of the Atonement, San Antonio, Texas
Our Lady of Walsingham, Houston, Texas
St. Mary the Virgin, Arlington, Texas
St. Athanasius , Brookline, Mass.
St. Anselm, Corpus Christi, Texas
St. Luke, Bladensburg, Maryland
The St. Thomas More Society, Scranton, PA
Society of Our Lady of Good Hope, Kansas City, Missouri
Mount Calvary Church, Baltimore, Maryland
St. John the Evangelist, Calgary, Alberta
Sodality of St. Edmund, King & Martyr, Cambridge, Ontario

My question, to clarify, are there any other Episcopal/Anglican parishes in the US considering coming in “corpoarally” to the Catholic church at this time?

Anglican use Society lists these as groups currently using some aspects of the liturgy.

St. Augustine of Canterbury Society, Springfield, MO
St. Thomas of Canterbury AU Society, Washington, DC & No. Virginia
St. Bede Anglican Use Society, Collegeville, Minnesota
Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Savannah, Georgia
Our Lady of Martyrs AU Society, Nashville, Tennessee
Blessed John Henry Newman Society, Placentia, California
St. Timothy’s Ordinariate Catholic Community, Fort Worth, Texas
St. Peter the Rock Ordinariate Catholic Community, Arlington, Texas
Toronto Ordinariate Group, Toronto, Ontario
St. John Vianney Fellowship, Cleburne, Texas

They also list these as the parishes currently planning to enter the Ordinariate.

Holy Cross Church, Honolulu, Hawaii
Blessed John Henry Newman, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
St. Columba Church, Fernley, Nevada
St. Barnabas, Omaha, Nebraska
Cathedral of the Incarnation, Orlando, Florida
Christ the King, Towson, Maryland
Holy Cross Church, Ocala, Florida
Sacred Heart Mission, Mount Airy, Maryland
Holy Nativity Parish, Payson, Arizona
St. Mary of the Angels, Hollywood, California
St. Aidan’s Church, Des Moines, Iowa

Here are some good website worth checking out on the subject.

anglicanuse.org/index.htm
anglicanusenews.blogspot.com/

Thank you.

The Anglican Use link is exactly what I was looking for.

I hope that it helps you.

Peace of Christ,

Great stuff1 If I ever lived in a place where there was an ordinariate parish close by, I would check it out to be sure.

whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2012/05/anglicanorum-digest.html

A snippet from the article linked above.

Four months since its establishment by Rome, the Stateside Ordinariate for Anglican groups entering Catholic communion is coming off a banner week, the first of many soon to come.

On Saturday, two top-tier American prelates each ordained a former Episcopal priest to the transitional diaconate, bringing the Chair of St Peter’s officially on-deck group of priests-in-waiting to three. The once-and-future Fathers Jason Catania and David Ousley respectively lead the freshly received communities in Baltimore and Philadelphia, the latter of which completed its journey during Holy Week.

Another onetime Anglican priest, now Deacon Jon David Chalmers became the Ordinariate’s first cleric during the Easter Octave in South Carolina, and will be ordained a Catholic priest on June 3rd. Last Tuesday, meanwhile, the circumscription that covers all entering Anglican groups in North America likewise incardinated its first priest – Fr Eric Bergman, a married father of seven ordained for the diocese of Scranton in 2007 – as well as completing the purchase of a church for his community, which had been sharing space with a local parish.

Beyond the trickle of founding clerics, some 60 candidates for orders have been cleared for the pipeline over the last several months, half of them said to be preparing for imminent ordination to diaconate and priesthood. Among them, late this month brings what’ll likely be the largest single ordination rite as – in the region long known as the cradle of American Anglo-Catholicism – Bishop Kevin Vann of Fort Worth makes Catholic deacons of six former Anglican clerics.

Including the unprecedented priesting of a father and son together, the sextet will be ordained on June 30th, and one of the men has already been named the next pastor of the Ordinariate’s “principal church” (effectively its cathedral), Houston’s Our Lady of Walsingham parish, effective July 1.

Upon their approval for orders by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, all the candidates have taken part in a rapid-formation course, mostly conducted online from Houston’s St Mary’s Seminary and University of St Thomas.

Reflecting the rise of the Southern church and Texas’ longtime status as the dominant venue of the Anglican communities which have journeyed to Rome on these shores, the Ordinariate is American Catholicism’s first national entity to be based outside the traditional centers of ecclesial influence in the Northeast and upper Midwest.

newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0512-eischen

Very nice article on Anglican Patrimony and what it means for the Church.

a snippet.

At last summer’s presentation of Pope Benedict XVI’s apostolic constitution Anglicanorum Coetibus to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops in Washington, D.C., one of the bishops asked, “Just what is the Anglican Patrimony?” It was not exactly clear to him to what the Holy Father was happily opening up the doors by allowing groups of Anglicans to enter into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church while retaining their customs and traditions. Yet the Pope is certain that Anglicanism’s rich heritage of worship and hymnody will add significantly to the expression of the Catholic faith. As someone who spent the first 71 of her 73 years as an Anglican, I would like to give a humble layman’s explanation of the character and mystique of Anglicanism.

Peace,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.