STDs Continue to Spread in U.S

STDs Continue to Spread in U.S.

merican squeamishness about talking about sex has helped keep common sexually transmitted infections far too common, especially among vulnerable teens, U.S. researchers reported Monday.
Latest statistics on chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis show the three highly treatable infections continue to spread in the United States.

“Chlamydia and gonorrhea are stable at unacceptably high levels, and syphilis is resurgent after almost being eliminated,” said John Douglas, director of the division of sexually transmitted diseases at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“We have among the highest rates of STDs of any developed country in the world,” Douglas added in a telephone interview.

The administration of President Barack Obama has signaled a willingness to move away from so-called abstinence-only sex education approaches that his predecessor, George W. Bush, and conservative state and local governments have promoted.

more…

Unfortunately this is the cold hard reality of liberalism, progressivism and secular immorality.:blush:

The numbers tell a pretty sad tale:

CDC’s latest study on STDs found:

• 1.2 million cases of chlamydia were reported in 2008, up from 1.1 million in 2007.

• Nearly 337,000 cases of gonorrhea were reported.

• Adolescent girls 15 to 19 years had the most chlamydia and gonorrhea cases of any age group at 409,531.

• Blacks, who represent 12 percent of the U.S. population, accounted for about 71 percent of reported gonorrhea cases and almost half of all chlamydia and syphilis cases in 2008.

• Black women 15 to 19 had the highest rates of chlamydia and gonorrhea.

• 13,500 syphilis cases were reported in 2008, an almost 18 percent increase from 2007.

• 63 percent of syphilis cases were among men who have sex with men.

• Syphilis rates among women increased 36 percent from 2007 to 2008.

Syphilis, Chlamydia, and gonorrhea, which can be treated with antibiotics, can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, and ectopic pregnancy, and they can infect newborns.

Overall, CDC estimates that 19 million new sexually transmitted infections occur each year, almost half among 15- to 24-year-olds.

I teach in an urban high school and I’m not surprised. The students are incredibly bold and hypersexualized. I sure don’t see any reluctance to discuss sex among Americans as the article suggested. In fact I see quite the opposite.

And yes, this is the direct result of liberalism and secularism.

Sex is glamorized and portrayed as liberating by our secular society.

Very few people talk about Agape love (total self giving, self sacrificing love). We hear “love” and are programmed to think of selfish pleasure and ego. “I love my car”.

**We need to tell our children & families about the lifelong suffering caused by sexual promiscuity. **First is the potential physical damage caused by sexual relations outside of the Sacrament of Marriage (STD’s, physical damage from abortion & increased breast cancer risk…). **The second and the most harmful result is the guaranteed emotional damage that is inflicted on everyone involved (broken relationships & families, and lifelong emotional suffering that comes from callously using someone else for your selfish pleasure). **

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

The blatant bias in this news article drives me crazy, and the just straight out lies it puts out there.

American squeamishness about talking about sex has helped keep common sexually transmitted infections far too common, especially among vulnerable teens

Really? They really believe that? Have they ever turned on a TV, or listened to a teenagers conversation? They are not exactly “squeamish” about sex.

The administration of President Barack Obama has signaled a willingness to move away from so-called abstinence-only sex education approaches promoted by his predecessor, George W. Bush, and conservative state and local governments.

Several studies have shown such approaches do not work well and that it is better to encourage abstinence while also offering children and teens information about how to protect themselves from diseases as well as pregnancy.

If you do your research on this, you will actually find this is not an entirely true statement, as some studies have shown little or no difference between abstinence only and comprehensive sex ed.

Douglas said better sex education can help.

“We are not honestly and openly dealing with this issue and it’s the larger issue of sexual health,” he said.

Douglas said children and teens need to know about condom use, and should limit their number of sex partners and avoid sex with people who do have many other sex partners.

And we are honestly to believe that the “solution” is MORE sex education? How come we have more and more sex education and teaching kids about using condoms, yet the rates continue to rise? Maybe it has something to do with promoting sexuality left and right, and the fact that condoms have that pesky habit of making sex less pleasurable?

Atleast he’s honest about limiting your sex partners…

Once again, tell a lie enough times and people will start to believe it.

Wait, why the heck are they blaming abstinance only programs? My state is a comprehensive state and we get infections and teen pregnancies at a rate equal to the rest of the country. When I was in high school you could get condoms from the school nurse, no questions asked and yet it seemed to solve nothing.

Do condoms help? Yes. They are a big help if you make a mistake. But their use encourages kids to go out and have more promiscious sex, and increasing their odds of infection! It’s like playing russian roulette, only instead of 1 bullet in a 6 chamber gun, its 1 bullet in a 98 chambered gun! It makes them feel safe, but then they play MORE.

When will people learn that sex is a huge responsibility, and misuse of it carries heavy concequences?

Has abstinence-only even been implemented in the last few decades? I was in high school in the early 90’s and we learned about condoms and the pill and even diaphragms, which I don’t think I’ve heard about since :shrug:.

SHOOT! I’ve been terribly misinformed by those insidious catholics!

All this time, I’ve been told that it was sexual promiscuity that caused the spread of STDs. I’m so grateful to these researchers for exposing that lie and informing me that it is just my squeamishness about TALKING about sex that is responsible. Way to go, researchers!

:eek:

This makes me thank God that we don't have to worry about these things. :)

I wonder whether other sex ed classes have been doing what my son's class had to do in middle school. Each student had to do a report on an STD, and find photos on the internet of what it looked like (but the affected body part could not be recognizable). I remember my son had to do genital warts. He said everybody in the class was totally grossed out by the project, and one guy announced, "This makes me not want to have sex, ever."

Don't know whether it stuck with any of them, though. That would be interesting to find out. ;)

[quote="Maria65, post:10, topic:176731"]
I wonder whether other sex ed classes have been doing what my son's class had to do in middle school. Each student had to do a report on an STD, and find photos on the internet of what it looked like (but the affected body part could not be recognizable). I remember my son had to do genital warts. He said everybody in the class was totally grossed out by the project, and one guy announced, "This makes me not want to have sex, ever."

Don't know whether it stuck with any of them, though. That would be interesting to find out. ;)

[/quote]

My class did something similar to that. Only we didn't do the report, the teacher presented the photographs. The body parts were recognizable though. It was...incredibly disgusting. Scared the living daylights out of my, but at that time I was already committed to abstinance. The kids who were going to, or already had sex anyway just shrugged it off like they did witht he drunk driving videos at graduation.

They waited until graduation to show you that stuff? I remember seeing it in driver’s ed in 10th grade. I’ll never forget the footage of the paramedics transporting a body taken from a wreck - they had it in a tarp or something, and pieces kept falling out and they had to stop and pick them up and put them back in. :bigyikes:

I’ll never forget that if I live to be 100 years old.

"We have among the highest rates of STDs of any developed country in the world," Douglas added in a telephone interview. The highest rate of STD's of any developed country. Well, weren't condoms and sex-ed supposed to prevent that? Ah, the naivety of the educational elites!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.