Stealing or not?

Is it considered stealing if you watch a movie or movie short on Youtube? For instance, there's this movie short I want to watch but, I would have to buy it online and that would be a pain especially since it's only 15 minutes. It's also kinda pricey if you're paying twelve dollars for a 15 minute short.

[quote="filios, post:1, topic:235140"]
Is it considered stealing if you watch a movie or movie short on Youtube? For instance, there's this movie short I want to watch but, I would have to buy it online and that would be a pain especially since it's only 15 minutes. It's also kinda pricey if you're paying twelve dollars for a 15 minute short.

[/quote]

This is very situational. What is the short?

It's a cartoon short. You know, they'll make a full length movie and then they'll make a short when the movie comes out on dvd.

youtube is free to view…id say it would be stealing only if you copied the movie short for yourself…i myself go on youtube:thumbsup:

Companies own the right to control the distribution of whatever they make. If someone is asking for money for it, that usually means someone has a legitimate right to that money. Like file sharing, videos put up on youtube by XYZ8897 are not likely to be legally authorized distribution.

Peace,
Ed

The producers and distributors of popular media are well aware of Youtube. If they didn't want their product on there they would force a shutdown of the site, like they did with file sharing sites such as Napster.

Youtube will take down any video that TPTB ask them to take down. By not demanding a shutdown of Youtube, TPTB are giving their permission for the videos to appear on that site.

As for copying the video's, again, until you hear of a mass campaign from the TPTB to stop the ability to download, then what is the harm in doing so?

I think anyone who thinks watching a program on Youtube is stealing is boarding on being too scrupulous, which would then lead to a discussion of a different sin. :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.