Stephen Hawking reveals that God DID NOT make the universe

Considered one of the smartest alive today, writer, and scientist Stephen Hawking changes his views on God creating the universe…news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking

Who cares what he says? I don’t. Who cares if his IQ is 2938? So what? Intelligence is one of the most misunderstood qualities in the world. Just because someone is vastly bright (and I’m sure he is) doesn’t mean what he says is true. In fact, sometimes people who are incredibly bright have no idea how the world works!

Just my opinion.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,” Hawking writes.* *

Isn’t saying that which doesn’t exist inevitably creates that which does exist a contradiction? Sometimes the speculations of scientists take more faith than the most extreme Christian views.

It doesn’t matter how smart this man is, his word is not infallible. Unfortunately, these days, too many people accept completely what a scientist tells them on the news, even when there is scientific doubt elsewhere. It’s on the news because the news wants an emotional reaction, and usually the media outlet has an agenda, unfortunately.

Well, he didn’t “reveal” anything. He gave his opinion, to which he is entitled. Just because he’s a brilliant scientist, doesn’t make him an authority on everything.

So?

Isn’t he an atheist and dosen’t this fit his “theories”?

He didn’t say God didn’t create the universe…he said God is not necessary for the universe to be created.

Also, he never said how the law of gravity got created. It’s silly.

Lol I’m with you here—and there’s already a thread about this elsewhere and that was my opinion there too. :smiley:

Other Smarts in earlier times taught that the world was flat.
We now know better.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,” Hawking writes.

How a universe is created from nothing:

First, start with some natural laws like gravity …

Didn’t Chesterton say something to the effect that according to atheists the universe is the most beautiful thing ever created by nobody?

Great quote. =]

-Prophecy

Hi Catholic,

At a conference that I attended, Hubert Reeves, who is also an eminent scientist (astrophysicist), said that we can go back to a split second into the Big Bang, but beyond that, it is the realm of philosophy and theology. Would that Hawkins had the same humility.

If the universe created itself, then it must necessarily exist*, and whatever necessarily exists is called God. But matter is full of potentialities, which contradicts the concept of God, who is unchangeable.

Vicious circle.

Verbum

• To go from nothing to something without a cause something must be a necessity.

Brilliant mathematician; theologian? Not so much :wink:

Perhaps with time.

Albert Einstein on what the word religion meant in his life:

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in point of fact, religious.” - (Winter of 1927)

Einstein from his autobiographical notes:

"Through the reading of popular scientific books I (by age 12) soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression.

“Mistrust of every kind of authority grew out of this experience, a skeptical attitude toward the convictions that were alive in any specific social environment — an attitude that has never again left me, even though, later on, it has been tempered by a better insight into the causal connections.”

In his later years, Einstein referred to a “cosmic religious feeling” that permeated and sustained his scientific work. In 1954, a year before his death, he spoke of wishing to “experience the universe as a single cosmic whole”. He was also fond of using religious flourishes, in 1926 declaring that “He [God] does not throw dice” when referring to randomness thrown up by quantum theory.

Hawking has unfortunately committed a classification error with this pronouncement. Though I imagine that many atheists with suck it up, I doubt that this book will do much in terms of the debate.

-Prophecy

Why would anyone even listen to the irrational speculations of a man who has ZERO qualifications outside of his domain of expertise?? A scientist is only concerned with investigating the material world - not the spiritual or non-material world. Outside of space and time Hawking has no substance or aether to navigate - he’s in a place that makes him even more handicapped and immobilized than he is in physical life.

He has created a tautology - going back to the dark days of magik, alchemy and spontaneous creation. He uses “the law of gravity” as the principal by which nothing can create something but leaves us dumbfounded in his silent account for who delivered to us the law of gravity. I think at this point we can simply shake our heads and sigh and come to the realization that gravity is finally returning Mr. Hawking back to earth.The signs are telling. He’s lost it. He’s due for a much deserved retirement before he passes on to that great and gloomy hope of oblivion that all atheists secretly pray for. Such men as Hawkins simply refuse to take the free wager on an infinite pot (Pascal’s Wager) and are instead betting their token on the hope that God is benevolent and they owe nothing if they are proven wrong. How wrong they are and how foolish for us to be giving such idiocy any ear. Hawking is retrograding his own circularity…

BF

Agreed. This is a lot like getting life advice from a famous movie star. …and they would be an authority outside of their field of expertise why??? Perhaps he also offers definitive culinary conclusions too.

It will however, appeal to the atheist crowd who place their own supposed intellect above all.

Hey, he played cards with DATA. Doesn’t that make him an expert on everything? :stuck_out_tongue:

One can take another approach to this. Instead of being antagonistic toward Prof. Hawkins, one can use the approach of another great physicist, Maximilian Kolbe.

If the universe is created because it obeys the laws of physics, so be it. The laws themselves come into existence because of God. Therefore, God cannot be ruled out of the equation. Maximilian wrote about this in his laws on mathematics. They don’t create themselves and man did not create them, yet they exist. They exist because a supreme and intelligent being created them.

I don’t recall the name of the series of papers that St. Max wrote on the laws of mathematics, but they must be around the internet.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :slight_smile:

Gravity alone could not have caused a “big bang.”

It would take gravity plus matter. I don’t know where we got the matter or the gravity.

There was a joke that I know just about well enough to ruin it.

Satan challenged God to a contest. He claimed he could make a stronger person than God could. So God took the challenge, and reached down to pick up some dirt. Satan reached down too, and God said, “use your own dirt.”

Alan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.