Stephen Hawkings believes in God?

Hi,

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this thread. If not, please move it to where it should go. Thank you

I either heard or read somewhere that Stephen Hawkings now believes that God created the universe. Can anyone help me with this? I have a 31 yr son who has decided that God doesn’t exist and believes heavily in science. I’m trying to possibly get him to see that even the scientists believe in God. He dismisses anybody that I bring up to try to convince him as saying that they are all wrong. I’m lost as to what to do now. He keeps saying he is “open minded” but dismisses everything I show him without really looking at it or studying it to see if it could be true. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

All truth comes from God, who is the truth itself. Have him study philosophy.

Unfortunately, it was the studying of philosophy that pushed him into not believing in God. :mad:

Albert Einstein Believed in God.

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”–Albert Einstein

Strange. Philosophy is meant to raise men’s minds to the truth. But perhaps he was not fully grounded in the Faith. Dose he have the Catechism? It also has philosophy in it, like the Holy Trinity and morals.

I know that Einstein believed in God, I had a different quote than one of the previous posters. Einstein had once said, “the more I discover about the universe the more I’m convinced of a Master Creator, the more I’m convinced of God.”

Its too bad that Philosophy gets the rap for pushing your son away from the truth since Philosophy is the search for truth. I would more than likely blame it on the teacher or instructor teaching the class rather than the subject matter.

I’ll do some reasearch and see what I can come up with. I had once questioned the existance God. After doing a little study and observation it dawned on me this earth, all that is in it, the heavens above and the wonders they contain had to be created, they didn’t just happen, I also recognized the need for somthing to govern all this. It just makes sense.

My prayers are with your son, that he’ll see the truth.
God Bless

Yes, and he is one of the scientists that my son son dismissed as being wrong about God. My son’s thinking process truly boggles my mind. How can he say that people like Einstein can be right in so many areas of science and yet be wrong about belief in God?

I suggested (rather forcefully, I’m sorry to say) that his non-belief is most likely because he doesn’t want to be held to the moral standards of God. Of course, he denied it even as he is living with his girlfriend. :tsktsk:

The gospel is a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Greek.
Foolishness, the Greek are philosphers. the Greek think it is foolishness. How to combat that stornghold? The gospel is the power of God It takes gods power, how do you access Gods power? Get on your knees! Plead with God , beg God you cannot reason with a Greek/philosopher you need the power of God.

I don’t know what Hawking thinks now, but he used to be at least open to the possibility of God. He is not an atheist. In fact his at least being open to God stuck in my mind after reading " Brief History of Time" when I was in college and was not religious and in a way aided me in coming back to God.

I would not be surprised if he did become religious. He is such an amazing individual and has lead an extraordinary life despite his disabilities.

His open-mindedness doesn’t include reading any book that would be about God or religion or even a plausible reason for belief. I have given him several of Peter Kreeft’s books in hopes that he would be willing to read a secular philosophy professors view on belief in God. The books remained untouched for quite a long time and then he finally gave them back saying he didn’t have time to read them. However, he had lots of time to read other books that support his way of thinking and he has a lot of free time to play soccer, play poker (of course it’s Texas Hold 'em :rolleyes:). So, asked him why and he replied that he just wasn’t interested. :frowning:

I don’t know if showing him anything about Stephen Hawkings will help or not. I guess I was hoping that an atheistic scientist that changed his mind MIGHT get him to begin reconsidering his belief.

The funny thing is…he told me that I had done a very good job in raising him in the Catholic Church and that his belief now wasn’t my fault. I can’t help but think that I obviously didn’t do a good job!:shrug:
Kdesiel**:

The instructor for the course he took was agnostic and I agree with you
that it’s probably not Philosophy itself that “convinced” him but the instructor he had for the course. Thank you for your prayers for him!!

Hisalone:

Yes, I know it will ultimately take the Power of God. I have been praying for him for quite a long time and I will continue as long as I’m alive. I offer the Rosary, The Chaplet of the Divine Mercy and Masses for his conversion. It just scares me that something might happen to him before he comes around. That thought terrifies me and keeps me praying for him.

There are many famous scientists that have converted from Atheist to Christian, and some have even become Catholic. I can’t think of any offhand, but I would urge you to call the Catholic Answers Live radio show up during a Q&A day with a staff apologist and pose your question to them. They would be able to give you some books or other resources to give to your son. And they would definitely give you some food for thought to pass on to your son as well. :wink:

God Bless,
Snert

There are some really bad philosophers out there.

His views are understandable if he happens to believe any of their particular philosophies. Understandable, but not desirable.

Snert

Here are a couple of good Einstein vids.

youtube.com/watch?v=YoIDjj86fwI

youtube.com/watch?v=VwATSpuNRWs

I’m not sure what his current position is, but here are two of his quotes which crack me up!

“I find that even those who believe in predestination look both ways before crossing the street.”

“Eternity is a very long time, especially toward the end.”

<<His open-mindedness doesn’t include reading any book that would be about God or religion or even a plausible reason for belief>>

In other words, he’s not open-minded. A truly open-minded person will hear all sides of an issue.

Stephen Hawking is a brillian theoretical physicist. When he speaks about his own area of expertise, he’s fascinating.

This doesn’t make him reliable about the subjects of music (my own) or theology.

Show to him:
1.drdino.com/media-categories.php?c=seminars&v=10
2…youtube.com/?hl=en&tab=w1
3.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6114
as a cure.

Why does he claim that there is no God? What are his arguments?

Hello,

I’m sorry to hear about your son and will keep and you in my prayers.

I was once in your son’s shoes. I went to college and had a class with an atheist teacher and readings. I held out as long as I could, but eventually caved. It is hard to tell what caused me to cave, but I think it was a mixture of sin and pride. My teacher was one of the most prideful people I have ever met; he was one of the sad cases of a person who is so smart that it is hard for them to understand that he is still human, and like the rest of us, has a mind darkened by original sin.

I came out of my quasi-atheist phase when I finally admitted to myself that I was denying/ignoring things that I knew to be true (such as miracles). I realized that I could not pretend to be both atheist and honest, so I guess honesty finally won out.

A couple things I’d say to you; pray about them and take them with a grain of salt.

If I were in your shoes, I’d do the following things:

1. Live as saintly life as you possibly can, including taking some time to serve others in a way that your son will see. You want to become as winning a Christian as possible, so that you can preach without saying a word. And of course, pray for your son.

2. Demonstrate open-mindedness by actually asking your son for recommendations. Read the things he is reading, doing your very best to find that which is true and separate it from that which is false. If you have questions about what an author means, ask your son. Establish a dialogue. Try to get your son to understand the intellectual traditions that provide the historical context for each writer. None of these people are writing in a vacuum.

3. Try to find a patch of common ground with your son: truth. Tell him that you respect his desire to know the truth and you have that in common with him. Tell him that you suspect that there is some truth in the books he is writing, but that you would be surprised if there are not also errors mixed in. (Ask if your son agrees. If he does, ask him to identify weaknesses in the arguments. If your son was anything like me, the books he reads gave me the occasion and the identity of an atheist, not really that many convincing reasons. Some of these writers died insane, after all.)

4. If you can, critique the books he is reading in a generous and charitable way, but don’t share the critiques unless he seems genuinely interested. Try to critique the books on their terms, not your own. After all, you wouldn’t critique a cookbook by quoting bible verses. Try to ask what the point of the book is, what does it assume, what conclusions does it try to argue, is it successful? Perhaps some of the books don’t even attempt to prove the atheistic position your son is adopting.

5. Apologize to your son that he was not given the ammunition he needed to know how to answer these atheistic attacks. When I got to college, I realized that all my Catholic upbringing didn’t even let me know that I would be attacked in this way, much less prepare me to deal with these attacks. It does less good at this point to try to share basic Catholic apologetics at this point. Apologize that his Church, etc. failed him. But point out that they failed him by not sharing THE ANSWERS TO ATHEISM. The point: there are answers! If he is not interested in reading them, then he is certainly not, by definition, open-minded. You might try to get him to question his confidence in his new world-view if he doesn’t think it can stand the critique of a Catholic defense such as the recent Scott Hahn book: Answering the New Atheism.

6. Ask him, point blank: Are you being honest? Deeply honest? Are you really convinced by the arguments you are reading, arguments that are helpless to explain so much of reality (such as miracles, healings, etc.)? Or are you really feeling lost? Point out that atheism is the most dismal possible world-view imaginable. If he really believes it is true, that is one thing? But, does he really believe it? Really?

7. Unfortunately, sin is a real problem, especially the types of bad decisions he has made by moving in with his girlfriend. But, it is probably true that the weaknesses of the church your son grew up in might have made it easier for him to fall away. I remember looking around the church when I was falling away and thinking that if these people really believed this, they would really be acting differently. (I eventually had to admit to myself that I had know idea about what was happening spiritually in these people’s souls. Again, I had to be HONEST that even I myself probably only look lukewarm even though I was very enthusiastic about my faith.) It is possible that your son’s atheism might reflect a certain sensitivity to the lack of faith that seems to run through many parishes. Only God knows the causes of your son’s atheism, and I never judge atheists because they so often embrace a position that is not far from our own moments of faithlessness. This is where being an open listener and non-judgmental is important. Always let God be the judge. Our job is always to be passionate lovers of each other and of the Truth who is Jesus. If your son wants the Truth, he can have Him! Just try to get him to relax about it and be honest with himself.

Have hope. After not too long, I realized that I had embraced pride and sin and had lied to myself, and I quickly asked God to send me someone who could inspire me back to the innocent (but not uninformed) faith I once had in high-school. I met a sweet Baptist girl who eventually became my wife. (She’s also now a Catholic!) I am in love with Jesus and his Church, and I am active in Catholic apologetics. (Check out my blog at readywithareason.blogspot.com. Send me an email if you’d like my perspective on any of the books your son is reading. I’m thinking about doing some blog posts on atheism and would love to make contact with some folks who are struggling with these issues.) Ultimately, it is important that you never lose your own sense of joy and hope.

I’ll pray for you and your son! (And don’t forget to take the above with a grain of salt! I’d really pray about some of the suggestions before acting on them…)

May St. Michael protect you and defend your son.

In Christ,
Daniel

No, Stephen Hawking (scientist) is agnostic/atheist.

If you are a Christian who does not hold the view that being a Muslim is an even worse fate than being an atheist, then I would suggest that your son should test his faith in Science with the scientific arguments put forward in this video.

I would also strongly suggest to check out all the other challenges to Science videos and books at that website.

In the event that your son is indeed able to refute all the scientific challenges presented in those videos to his newly-found faith in Science, then I would be very interested to learn about his counter arguments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.