"Steps to Christ " by Ellen G White?

I am a Catholic but I was given this book as a gift. I was wondering if there was anything I should be weary of reading this? As of now it seems the book is very informative and can bring anyone who loves Christ to a deeper relationship with him; however I also realize the author is a cofounder and considered a prophetess in the Seventh Day Adventist Church, so I was wondering if any other Catholics had read it and if it is theologically okay for us to read it?

I have not read that book. Ms White and her.Adventists are often anti-Catholic. There is material about the Seventh Day Adventists and Sabbatarians here at the main Catholic Answers site.

catholic.com/

I would not read any book by Ellen White. If you are looking for ways to get closer to God, try something by St. Theresa of Avila.

I know several SDA and they are HUGLY anti Catholic in disguise. Here’s a little “ditty” from The Great Controversy by Ellen White. Try reading that and you will find the "steps to Christ " are to step out of the Roman Catholic Church and worship on Saturday. Also they feel they are the ‘little remnant’ from Scripture that will be saved.

**Adventist Anti-Catholicism

As is clear from some of the beliefs listed above, Adventist theology is unbiblical and intensely anti-Catholic. Many Catholics who do not frequently come in contact with Adventists or their literature do not realize just how hostile they can be toward the Church.
Trying to give others the benefit of the doubt, Catholics may suppose that anti-Catholicism is part of Adventism’s radical fringe. Unfortunately, this is untrue. Adventists who are moderate on Catholicism are a minority. Anti-Catholicism characterizes the denomination because it is embraced in White’s heretical writings. A few illustrations help indicate the scope of the problem:
“Babylon the Great, the mother of harlots . . . is further declared to be ‘that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.’ Revelation 17:4–6, 18. The power that for so many centuries maintained despotic sway over the monarchs of Christendom is Rome. The purple and scarlet color, the gold and precious stones and pearls, vividly picture the magnificence and more than kingly pomp affected by the haughty see of Rome” (The Great Controversy, 338).
“It is one of the leading doctrines of Romanism that the pope is the visible head of the universal Church of Christ . . . and has been declared infallible. He demands the homage of all men. The same claim urged by Satan in the wilderness of temptation is still urged by him [Satan] through the Church of Rome, and vast numbers are ready to yield him homage” (ibid., 48).
"Marvelous in her shrewdness and cunning is the Roman Church. She can read what is to be. She bides her time, seeing that the Protestant churches are paying her homage in their acceptance of the false Sabbath. . . . And let it be remembered, it is the boast of Rome that she never changes. The principles of Gregory VII and Innocent III are still the principles of the Roman Catholic Church. And has she but the power, she would put them in practice with as much vigor now as in past centuries. . . . Rome is aiming to reestablish her power, to recover her lost supremacy" (ibid., 507–8).
“God’s word has given warning of the impending danger; let this be unheeded, and the Protestant world will learn what the purposes of Rome really are, only when it is too late to escape the snare. She is silently growing into power. Her doctrines are exerting their influence in legislative halls, in the churches, and in the hearts of men. She is piling up her lofty and massive structures, in the secret recesses of which her former persecutions will be repeated. Stealthily and unsuspectedly she is strengthening her forces to further her own ends when the time shall come for her to strike. All that she desires is vantage ground, and this is already being given her. We shall soon see and shall feel what the purpose of the Roman element is. Whoever believe and obey the word of God will thereby incur reproach and persecution” ( ibid., 508–9).
Unfortunately, most Adventists believe this. Bear in mind that these quotes are not taken from an obscure work of White’s that nobody ever reads. They are from what is probably her single most popular volume, The Great Controversy.

prophecyfilm.com/seventh-day-adventist/

Agree with all of the above. Seventh Day Adventists are one of the handful of Protestant sects I actively avoid. In the past they have mailed out a book called “National Sunday Law” that to me is hate speech against Catholics and should have landed them on the SPLC hate group list in my opinion. I have a really high threshold for free speech tolerance, but this was really over the top. I would avoid anything written by Ellen G. White like the plague, in fact I’d suggest you just throw that book in the trash. I won’t even contribute to their local thrift shop charity, as they pretty much hate Catholics, even though they have realized their hate is not winning them friends and have been trying to softpedal it lately.

Also - whoever would give you that book as a “gift”, knowing you are Catholic, is not a friend. They are up to no good. Avoid them too.

White is so anti-Catholic that I’d recommend almost all Catholics avoid any and all of her writings. The exceptions would be for someone doing some type of real scholarly research or for an apologist looking for insight into “the other side.”

This is the type of book that I would have no qualms about burning or tossing in the garbage. It’s poison.

I agree with the other replies: no. :nope:

I skimmed through an online copy, and it looks mostly harmless, though I did happen upon a passage that shows her anti-Catholic bias:

God does not mean that any of us should become hermits or monks and retire from the world in order to devote ourselves to acts of worship. …] He who does nothing but pray will soon cease to pray, or his prayers will become a formal routine.

Notice how she condemns consecrated life under false pretenses.
[LIST]
*] “He who does nothing but pray” – obviously, monks do more than pray, but also perform many acts of charity. Prayer permeates everything they do, including their manual labor – as it should also for us. Hermits cannot do the same acts of charity that living in community entails, but interceding for others is the greatest act of charity anyone can do.
*] “will soon cease to pray”-- that may be true for persons who go about it the wrong way, or are not called to consecrated life; but obviously it is untrue for the thousands of religious throughout the centuries who have set the bar for the rest of us, a number of them becoming miracle working Saints; far more than those living in the world.
*] “a formal routine” – yes, there is the danger of formalism; but the fault lies not with having a formal structure. Christians without any liturgy can merely go through the motions. Sometimes going through the motions gets us to do what we need to.
[/LIST]

There may be other such passages, or subtle errors. In my opinion your time would be better spent reading good Catholic books.

Ellen G. White was a false prophetess. That is in addition to the anti Catholicism that is the foundation of Adventism. There may be some good things in the book, but there is also going to be plenty of error. I’d throw it away. Someone gave my wife and I an Ellen G. White book and we tossed it.

[SIGN]***Question answered. Thread closed.***[/SIGN]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.