Steve Bannon Carries Battles to Another Influential Hub: The Vatican

nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/europe/vatican-steve-bannon-pope-francis.html?_r=1

**ROME — When Stephen K. Bannon was still heading Breitbart News, he went to the Vatican to cover the canonization of John Paul II and make some friends. High on his list of people to meet was an archconservative American cardinal, Raymond Burke, who had openly clashed with Pope Francis.

In one of the cardinal’s antechambers, amid religious statues and book-lined walls, Cardinal Burke and Mr. Bannon — who is now President Trump’s anti-establishment eminence — bonded over their shared worldview. They saw Islam as threatening to overrun a prostrate West weakened by the erosion of traditional Christian values, and viewed themselves as unjustly ostracized by out-of-touch political elites.**

The article continues at the link.

Nauseating excuse for news. More like a high-flown opinion piece.

It’s the very top news story in the New York Times World News Europe section.

This was shared with me this morning and I felt sick after reading it.

This has become one of the standard lines of the Left: portraying the Catholic Church as a political institution. Barack Obama and his leftist mentor Saul Alinsky used the Catholic Church in Chicago as a springboard to power.

Make that two of us. :frowning:

Good, I hope Mr. Bannon can forge strong ties between the White House and the Vatican. Make the Vatican great again!

From the article:

“When you recognize someone who has sacrificed in order to remain true to his principles and who is fighting the same kind of battles in the cultural arena, in a different section of the battlefield, I’m not surprised there is a meeting of hearts,” said Benjamin Harnwell, a confidant of Cardinal Burke who arranged the 2014 meeting.

Does the Catholic church strongly suggest to people how they must vote in political elections? And if so, do parishioners feel they must follow this directive?

If so, then it is akin to a political institution, I think.

I have seen many say on this forum that their priests tell them they must vote/support specific candidates.

I haven’t seen that at all. Priests will talk about principles and issues, but will not tell someone specific who they need to vote for.

Catholics and everyone else should form a proper conscience on voting.

It’s fair to say that’s where people come up short.

I felt sick after reading this article, too.

An important article appeared in today’s Independent, also:

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/steve-bannon-white-house-white-nationalist-colleagues-books-donald-trump-chief-strategy-nsc-a7567336.html

Steve Bannon’s role in the Trump administration is to connect the various white nationalist political factions scattered across the world, and to organize the disparate patchwork into a coherent network of allies. Battle sides are being drawn up as we watch. And the Vatican is very much involved with this on both sides, with Francis representing one camp and Burke the other. Not that Catholic Traditionalists necessarily represent nationalists, but the anti-Islam sentiment meshes well with the other groups.

A quick, unimpeachable primer on the “alt-right” movement “from the horse’s mouth”, and not from a “liberal news source”, may be in order to put this thread into context :):

voxday.blogspot.in/2016/08/what-alt-right-is.html

Exiled Child.

Since we’ve been seeing a multitude of “hit pieces” impugning Mr. Bannon over the last several weeks that may or may not be coordinated . . .

. . . .And considering that Mr. Bannon almost never speaks to the media . . . .

. . . And considering that Mr. Bannon and “archconservative” Cardinal Burke had this alleged discussion in the “cardinal’s antechambers, amid religious statues” . . .

. . . HOW do you think the New York Times KNOWS such “details”?

I went to the Times and read the article, and it has no such information that I saw (admitedly, maybe I missed it?).

With the extensive anti-Catholicism, that we’ve seen through the years from the New York Times, do you think this is accurate reporting?

Or yet more “Fake News”?

God bless.

Cathoholic

I share your thoughts. The article is from the New York Times - European section.
During the election wasn’t it revealed from e-mails that John Podesta was secretly trying to work from within and change things in the Catholic church.
I wonder how his connections worked. The left is working overtime after their devastating loss last November. They have to save face after a campaign that was such a blunder.

From the article:

“** said Benjamin Harnwell, a confidant of Cardinal Burke who arranged the 2014 meeting.**”

The source is Benjamin Harnwell, who operates a Catholic-ish NGO in Rome called The Institute for Human Dignity.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignitatis_Humanae_Institute

dignitatishumanae.com/index.php/about-us/benjamin-harnwell/

Here’s a confirmation from the National Catholic Register:

www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/who-is-steve-bannon

Is Steve Bannon a practicing Catholic does anyone know? If he is Catholic I am sure he is concerned about the state of the Catholic Church.

Oh, thanks for that. And it’s a good article, too; that interview was pretty informative. Just seems kinda depressing to me that battle lines are being drawn up this way between Catholics. Personally, I much prefer just focusing on people rather than politics, but as it stands now, the situation has degraded to the point where political terms are apparently necessary. Left and right, yada yada yada. :rolleyes:

By the way, I still think that’s (by far) the best baby portrait I’ve ever seen. :slight_smile:

Oh yes, I think he’s most definitely a practicing Catholic. Of course I don’t know him personally or anything, but I’d be shocked if he weren’t.

Thanks! :slight_smile: (But he’s kind of lost the “baby” look now, in favour of the “mischievous little boy” one. Fun times, fun times! Except for my wife who now has two delinquent boys to look after. :D)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.