Steve Bannon says Catholic Church has "economic interest" in "unlimited illegal immigration"

Steve Bannon says Catholic Church has “economic interest” in "unlimited illegal immigration"

In his first extensive interview since leaving the Trump administration, former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is speaking out about President Trump’s decision to end the DACA program. The Obama-era policy protects nearly 800,000 undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children from deportation.

Bannon spoke to Charlie Rose in an interview that will air this Sunday, Sept. 10, on “60 Minutes.”

Steve Bannon: Look, what he did on DACA the other day. Okay, I don’t agree with that DACA decision, but I understand how he struggled with it, I understand how he’s giving the possibility of a legislative thing. And he said even last night in a tweet – even in a tweet, he would rethink it. Trust me, the guys in the far right, the guys on the conservative side are not happy with this.

Charlie Rose: Can I remind you, a good Catholic, that Cardinal [Timothy] Dolan is opposed to what’s happened with DACA? Cardinal Dolan.

Bannon: The Catholic Church has been terrible about this.

Rose: Okay.

Bannon: The bishops have been terrible about this. By the way, you know why? You know why? Because unable to really – to – to – to come to grips with the problems in the church, they need illegal aliens, they need illegal aliens to fill the churches. That’s – it’s obvious on the face of it. That’s what – the entire Catholic bishops condemn him. … They have – they have an economic interest. They have an economic interest in unlimited immigration, unlimited illegal immigration. And as much as –

Rose: Boy, that’s a tough thing to say about your church.

Bannon: As much as I respect Cardinal Dolan and the bishops on doctrine, this is not doctrine. This is not doctrine at all. I totally respect the pope and I totally respect the Catholic bishops and cardinals on doctrine. This is not about doctrine. This is about the sovereignty of a nation. And in that regard, they’re just another guy with an opinion.

STEVE BANNON THINKS THE BIBLE HAS NOTHING TO SAY ABOUT WELCOMING THE STRANGER.

“You shall not oppress a resident alien; you well know how it feels to be an alien, since you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt.” (Exodus 23:9 )

:roll_eyes:

Ridiculous.

Silly beyond belief.

I have heard other Catholics express a similar opinion about illegal aliens so he probably not far off the mark.

As for twisting the Bible to support a globalist agenda, there are passages that direct the Israelites to commit genocide against tribes living in the Promised Land, plenty of injunctions about not being influenced by foreign cultures, and permission to enslave other tribes.

While the Bible does command the Jews not to oppress the resident aliens, it does not say they are to be treated as members of the Chosen People, nor given welfare and affirmative action. It also most likely assumes that the resident aliens are obeying the laws, unlike ILLEGAL ALIENS.

I agree. Steve Bannon is odd and I’m glad he’s no longer in the White House.

Cardinal Dolan thinks Mr. Bannon is in error…

Cardinal Dolan: Steve Bannon’s comments on immigration are ‘insulting’ and ‘ridiculous’

as are you. It’s no good trying to discredit the Old Testament with such a lame response. It just shows how little you know about Scripture.

I don’t think a Bannon is right if he means the immigrants financially enrich the Church. But if he means they lead to financial enrichment of Catholic charity he is right. Catholic charity depends on the federal government, not Catholics. Its economic interest is in keeping the state happy. Its economic interest is in continued massive illegal immigration. Whether that is the personal motive of those in charge who can say.

The fact that so many of the illegal migrants poring across the border happen to be Catholic (or at least they claim to be) certainly allows for the possibility of a conflict of interest.

Try though I might, I can’t see what’s “compassionate” about allowing people into America without giving them the same protections of law and justice that citizens enjoy. They should come into the country legally or not come at all.

Read the whole Bible, not just the parts you like.

ad hominem

You mean the fact that illegal immigrants are NOT pouring over the border and DACA recipients had no choice about coming into the country.

Pointing out that you are displaying your ignorance of scripture when you criticize my use of scripture does not constitute an ad hominem. An ad hominem would be seeking to discredit your argument by attacking some unrelated aspect of your character, like saying you are generally feeble minded, or a drunk, or an alt-right extremist.

I do not ascribe to the Calvinist doctrine of Tota Scriptura, but rather approach the text of the Bible through the hermeneutics of Incarnation, Crucifixition, & Resurrection. So your insistence that I “read the whole Bible” is utterly nonsensical.

Fair point, fewer of them are illegally crossing the border now that they know we’re enforcing our laws.

DACA recipients had no choice about coming into this country but they’re still here illegally. Besides, they can choose to return to their home country whenever they want. Or they can wait for ICE to make the decision for them. So it’s not a totally horrible situation or anything.

No, an ad hominem is a personal attack substituted for argument. Claiming that I am ignorant of Scripture just because I cited parts of the Bible that disagree with your interpretation certainly qualifies.

And yes, I already pointed out that you disregard parts of the Bible that disagree with your agenda. Simply repeating that back to me does not make you any less wrong.

I am no fan of Steve Bannon. But I don’t think what he is saying is entirely untrue. I saw this article the other day - it is pretty fair about it. The Catholic Church is not really in a good position to defend law and order with respect to illegal immigration. That would get quite sticky. I don’t think the problem is lack of clear Church teaching on this issue either; it’s the make-up of the Church in the pews (or lack thereof). I put this in the painfully obvious bucket, Steve Bannon aside. Have done for years.

Funny how Charlie Rose has never questions a prominent Catholic Democrat on how they reconcile their support of abortion or same-sex marriage with Catholic doctrine. One could be forgiven for suspecting Charlie has a bit of a bias.

I provided evidence, by way of a link to Cardinal Dolan’s response to Steve Bannon, to demonstrate that you were wrong in your assertion that I was “twisting scripture” - unless you think Cardinal Dolan is “twisting-scripture” as well.

From this evidence, I drew the conclusion that you were displaying a lack of understanding of scripture. Spouting the Calvinist doctrine of Tota Scriptura on a Catholic forum is proof enough of that.

There is a dividing line between Catholics and Calvinists when it comes to the interpretation of scripture that you should be aware exists. The United States is a Protestant nation that has a history of persecuting Catholics, so it is vital that Catholics do not allow themselves to be lead astray when reading “Christian” arguments provided by our brothers and sisters in Christ who have strayed from the true path.

My “agenda” is to follow Christ’s agenda. Jesus showed us how to understand the Hebrew scripture in light of HIS teachings, character and example. HE is THE perfect revelation of God. It doesn’t get more direct than that. Passages in the OT that clearly align with his agenda can be read at face value, those that do not must be interpreted historically or metaphorically. That is why the passage I quoted from Exodus should be interpreted as a clear command from God, while those of violence that conflict with the Gospel must be approached with great caution.

“You shall not oppress a resident alien; you well know how it feels to be an alien, since you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt.” (Exodus 23:9 )

All Catholics in the United States should take this passage VERY seriously - especially those of Irish and Italian descent.

If non sequiturs are permitted on this thread, then I’d like to point out how Steve Bannon still looks like Rosie O’Donnell.

Pointing out that the Church might benefit economically from illegal immigration is one thing. Implying, as Steve Bannon did, that this interest directs Church policy and preaching is insulting to the Church.

Steve Bannon is hardly an expert on the Catholic church. More like an attention seeker whose latest ploy to get your attention has apparently succeeded.

Steve Bannon is better looking than Rosie O’Donnell!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.