Steve Bannon says Catholic Church has "economic interest" in "unlimited illegal immigration"

I find your post deeply unsettling, almost as if you believe that any particular race is special. I look forward to the day when your personal preferences are buried deeply along with all the other vile beliefs that racism has produced.

All men are equal in my view, and racial constructs are utterly meaningless to the basic dignity of humans. I look forward to the day when nobody cares one whit about skin color, which is a trivial and meaningless a marker of worth as I can imagine.

Tribalism is part of human nature. Those who do not acknowledge this fact and act accordingly will be absorbed by those who do.

“All men are equal…” what do you mean by that? Here in the USA for instance, Americans of Asian descent tend to have a higher average IQ, lower crime rates, a better family structure, and higher income than whites.

Arguably, the United States was the closest that we ever got to your utopian fantasies. Yet it is breaking down before our eyes. I never mistreated a person because of the color of their skin. I never used that as a justification to attack their person or their property. Yet somehow I was responsible for all the alleged injustices they suffered and I should have to pay reparations and give them special treatment all because of the color of my skin. Apparently being white also gave them license to make whatever assumptions they wanted to make about me. I’m not gonna take it anymore.

Raping and pillaging is part of human nature, and yet we rightly condemn and punish those who do it. Tribalism is bad, and has lead to just about every atrocity ever committed.

Arguably, the United States was the closest that we ever got to your utopian fantasies. Yet it is breaking down before our eyes. I never mistreated a person because of the color of their skin. I never used that as a justification to attack their person or their property. Yet somehow I was responsible for all the alleged injustices they suffered and I should have to pay reparations and give them special treatment all because of the color of my skin. Apparently being white also gave them license to make whatever assumptions they wanted to make about me. I’m not gonna take it anymore.

[/quote]

Allusions to the Bell Curve don’t impress me. You seem to want to feel whites are special, but ponder this, all the core technologies of civilization; urbanization, agriculture, metalworking, writing, were all created by what you would call “non-whites”. Even iron smelting first appears in East Africa. Areas like China, Egypt and Mesopotamia were islands of civilization with cities, writing, art, mathematics, agriculture and animal domestication while Europeans were still essentially backwards savages.

The only thing that put Europeans on top was the fact that they had the good fortune to live in a mountain-hemmed peninsula of Eurasia that protected from vast hoards of tribesmen coming out of the Asian Steppe beginning in the early centuries AD which overran many of the other Old World civilizations. Even the Huns basically petered out, and the closest the Tatars got was the Russia.

There is nothing unique about the “white man”, other than the good luck of geography.

There was no allusion to the Bell Curve there. Just a simple statement of publicly available information. Denial does not help your case and dodging my question does not make you any less wrong.

Plenty of those technologies were developed independently at different times and places. The descendants of those “backwards savages” went out, explored and conquered the vast majority of the world, and found that most of it had stagnated. They found very few civilizations that had technological parity with them. Explain that please.

The Huns made it into Gaul and onto the very doorstep of Rome. The Mongols controlled Eastern Europe. In turn, the Europeans themselves fought numerous destructive wars against each other. So your explanation does not fly.

IQ is a troublesome enough concept without abusing it to claim racial superiority.

Europe only really pulled ahead technically towards the end of the Middle Ages, and the world they found was in many cases ravaged by the very invasions I described. Islamic civilization, for instance, had been devastated by the Mongol invasions; the burning of Baghdad and its fabled library is one of the great crimes of human history.

I suspect, however, that you are referring to China, and its withdrawal after it had initially began exploring the Indian Ocean in the 15th century is a lot more complex than “stagnation”

One thing is clear, writing was not invented in Europe. Agriculture was not invented in Europe. The building of cities, and the entire artifice of urban culture was not invented in Europe. Metalworking was not invented in Europe. Animal husbandry was not invented in Europe. As I said, those core technologies were all invented elsewhere and later imported into Europe.

The Huns collapsed in very short order, and the Mongols created the largest land based empire in history, but they did not penetrate far beyond the Pontic Steppe. Western Europe’s most important powers; France, England, the Italian city states and the German principalities remained free of the invasions that the Middle East, Central Asia, the Subcontinent, and East Asia suffered.

Another factor in pushing Europe forward was the collapse of the Byzantine Empire, which had important ramifications for the Renaissance.

In the end, there is nothing special about “white people”. We’re no better or no worse than anyone else, no smarter, no more gifted, what we are is the beneficiaries of other civilizations’ innovations, and an accident of geography which made Europe a good deal more difficult to invade than many other regions of Eurasia. It also worked in reverse; both Napoleon and Hitler were stymied in their attempts to invade Russia, because those formidable geographic and climactic barriers which protected Western and Central Europe also made invasion the other way all but impossible to sustain, even with Germany’s vast industrial machine.

You look at white people and, I’m sure, see jet planes and computers, and somehow imagine that represents some basic genetic superiority. I look at jet planes and computers and see what amounts to the steady march of technological innovation, which began a few million years ago when our distant ancestors began chipping rocks to make stone blades. And even looking at jet planes and computers, neither would exist without the mathematics developed in the Arab and Indian worlds, and the very writing system used to record these innovations was invented in Canaan 3000 years ago by people you would likely call Palestinian or Syrian, and itself was at least partially based on Egyptian logogramic writing. The Greeks nicked the Phoenician script, and the Romans morphed into the alphabet we largely know today; but neither the Greeks nor the Romans invented the alphabet.

Even the majority of grain crops we grow today, in particular the wheat species, were first bred in Central Asia. Animal husbandry was born there too, and it’s likely the only actual independent development of agriculture was in China, and of course, among some of the Mesoamerican peoples.

So yes, it was white men who invented jets, but without several thousand years worth of technical development, much of it happening outside of Europe, there would be no jets at all. Where you see a divide, I simply see a continuum, the flow of information across the Old World that delivered writing from the Middle East, grains and domesticated animals from Central Asia, iron from East Africa, and glazed pottery possibly from Japan.

I always understood the Italian word for handsome was "bello"
and a beautiful woman was called “bella”.

It is. Guappo is dialect.

An example is in the song “Tu Vo’ Fa l’americano”

It’s in neopolitan dialect. Carosone pronounces it similarly to “wop”.

Puorte ‘e cazune cu nu stemma arreto
Na cuppulella cu ‘a visiera aizata
Passa scampanianno pe’ Tuleto
Comm’a nu guappo, pe’ se fa’ guarda’

Gothcha. By my name, you can tell where 1/2 of me is from… :grinning:

Troublesome only because it challenges the blank slate religion of the Left. The funny thing is that I pointed out that a different race than my own has the higher average IQ and yet you seem more perturbed by this than me.

So what, the Europeans were fighting each other and fighting Muslims.

China and Japan are examples, see also Australia, South America, and most of Africa before the Europeans colonized them.

Then the Europeans learned from others, surpassed them, and conquered them and then basically founded the modern world.

[quote]
The Huns collapsed in very short order, and the Mongols created the largest land based empire in history, but they did not penetrate far beyond the Pontic Steppe. Western Europe’s most important powers; France, England, the Italian city states and the German principalities remained free of the invasions that the Middle East, Central Asia, the Subcontinent, and East Asia suffered.
[/quote]You overlook both the numerous Muslim invasions of both Eastern and Western Europe along with the brutal internal wars.

Ah yes, the Renaissance, based on the works of Greeks and Romans, and rediscovered by Europeans, white men strike again!

Contrary to your implications, Europe was not a peaceful utopia that culturally appropriated everyone else’s inventions. Pick up a history book.

We can argue whether or not those things were adapted from other cultures or invented independently. At the end of the day, the fact is, the Europeans advanced further and faster.

I suspect he’s more powerful where he is now, where he can motivate numbers to engage their congressmen on specific issues.

There really is no argument. We know where writing came from. We know who built the first cities. We know where the grain crops come from. We know where animal domestication began. We know forged the first metals and the first steels.

Whatever advantage the Europeans gained beginning in the late Medieval and Early Modern Period, it had absolutely nothing to do with the color of their skin. Your turning your skin color into some sort of idolatry, some sort of object of worship, to the point where you ignore history and the common bond of all mankind, doesn’t demonstrate your superiority, but your smallness, your fear, and your need to create some pathetic shell of superiority which exists only in your own mind.

Everything I have stated demonstrates one thing; that humanity, as a whole, put us where we are today, and the lesson of that should be that we shouldn’t sit here and try to divide ourselves based on nothing more than melanin levels.

As much as I’d like to despise you, that would be too easy, and would bring me down to your level. I pity you, I pity how scared you are, and how so much you want to fixate on imagined superiority and divide yourself from the world. You will fail, it is inevitable, but the failure of your white nationalism will be a triumph for humanity.

He isn’t Obiwan Kenobi. He doesn’t come back as a Force Ghost. He goes back to the small world of Breitbart and White Nationalism, and his influence will fade. Trump has already moved on, if for no other reason that sticking with the Bannonite philosophy will only accelerate his fall into irrelevancy.

You watch. The wall will never be built, or if it is, it will be little more than a few more drones, border guards and fences, Congress will do what it can in its fractious way to protect the DREAMers, NAFTA will be renegotiated, not eliminated, and by the 2020 if not sooner, the balance of power in Washington will largely be restored. Bannon will be a footnote, a curiosity of dubious influence and accomplishment from the first six months of 45th President of the United States.

I was going to ask you to elaborate more on what you meant here but…I read further down this topic. Sad.

If you think BB had an impact during the election cycle, then you acknowledge the truth in what I said.

The wall will be extended and illegal immigration is down significantly so far, pretending that isn’t a victory for Trump and BB is very foolish by liberals, too fixated on “the wall”.

I like what Trump did with DACA, he is forcing Congress to come up with a solution instead of repeatedly punting the problem.

Trump has only argued for balanced trade, which does require trade agreements. Pretending he is against trade is a very dishonest position by the left. Look up the economic theory of “Balanced Trade” it has many supporters. In theory free trade results in balanced trade, but the real world doesn’t work like the theory (ie. exchange rates) so additional meddling is required

That’s exactly why Obama used an executive order, congress wouldn’t act. They refused to and I believe they will refuse again. Trump could very well do the same exact thing as Obama but I expect nothing but praise from his people this time.

I guess you could say Obama set up Trump for the spike (volleyball analogy).

You may not like the solution Congress comes up with, but I’m fairly confident they will come up with a solution this time. I don’t think it would be possible if Obama hadn’t overstepped his reach and created DACA though.

“It is for these reasons why I often don’t vote for some Catholic Politicians in Elections, and why I avoid the Conservative and Republican Parties as much as I can…”.

Really TeenCatholicGuy, really ? You are 18 years old, and you often don’t vote for some Catholic Politicians in Elections…"
So, just exactly how often have you voted in your life since the voting age in Canada is 18 ?

do we know the color of the skin of those cultures that made the advances of which you speak?

they happened thousands of years ago.

We know the Egyptians were Afro-Asiatic speakers, and a Mediterranean people so likely looked a lot like modern Egyptians and other residents of the Eastern Mediterranean. We of course know the makeup of the ancient Chinese people. The peoples of the Indus River Civilization are generally viewed to be Dravidian or related groups, as this civilization arose prior to the arrival of the Indo-Europeans. I should also add that writing was independently invented by the Mesoamerican cultures, though this occurred much later than the first writing to appear in Eurasia and Africa.

The Sumerians are a bit trickier, as Mesopotamia seems to have been a bit of a melting pot. What we do know is that the Sumerian language is an isolate; it is not a member of the Afro-Asiatic family (the Semitic languages spoken in Babylon were introduced by later invaders/colonists) and it is not a member of the Indo-European family (the Hittites were Indo-European speakers, but they, like the Semitic-speaking peoples came from elsewhere later). The best genetic data suggests that these pre-Semitic peoples in Iraq were, whatever language they spoke, closely related to modern populations in the region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeogenetics_of_the_Near_East#Iraq_.28Mesopotamia.29

This is a critical point in understanding ancient cultures. We tend to read history as a series of invasions where an indigenous population is wiped out or dislocated by the invaders. Hence when you read the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, you’ll get the sense that the Angles, Saxons and Jutes came in, drove the Celtic and Romano-Celtic populations into Wales or back on the Continent, and a bunch of West Germanic peoples replaced them. The reality is that the modern English are still largely descendants of the Celtic peoples living in England prior to the Anglo-Saxon invasions. What happened in reality was not a population replacement, but rather a cultural and linguistic replacement. The conquerors imposed their language and culture on the conquered population and by the time you get to the Venerable Bede, the cultural Englishman had arose, despite the fact that genetically, the population still remained largely pre-Anglo-Saxon.

But back to the main point. The earliest writing systems; Sumerian, Egyptian and Chinese, where developed by peoples that would look pretty much like the modern residents of those areas; in other words, the Sumerians were ancient Iraqis, the Ancient Egyptians were the forebears of modern Egyptians, and, of course, the Ancient Chinese were the forebears of the modern Chinese. When you look at the modern alphabets (Latin, Cyrillic and related scripts), we have a very good textual history of their origin. The Proto-Canaanite alphabet, of which the Hebrew alphabet is a descendant was developed by the peoples of Canaan, with many of the letters being borrowed from Egyptian logograms (Egyptian being the super power, if you will, of that time). The Greeks took the Canaanite script (probably from the Phoenicians, who are close relations of the Ancient Hebrews), adapted it to their Indo-European language, and from there the Etruscans and later the Romans. Going in the other direction, the proto-Canaanite script inspired alphabets found throughout Central Asia and the Indian Subcontinent (showing you that the development of alphabetical writing systems was a critical innovation over the earlier logogramic systems).

As important as the invention of writing was, the invention of the alphabet was probably the greatest innovation in written language, allowing a relatively small and discrete number of symbols to take over from the hundreds or even thousands of symbols in logogramic writing systems. And again, neither kind of writing was invented by anyone we would call “white”.

Additional meddling such as printing more of its own money? This already gives the U.S. a distinct advantage, doesn’t it? No jawboning necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.