Steve Bannon says Catholic Church has "economic interest" in "unlimited illegal immigration"

I disagree with Cardinal Dolan as well and have every right to do so. There is a broad range of acceptable conduct towards aliens under avoiding mistreatment of them and following a globalist agenda towards them is on the extreme end of it.

I have no desire to initiate violence or fraud against an alien. However, it is reasonable to demand that they follow our laws as determined by our national interest.

Silly was my first reaction. I do think the cardinal is right.

Yes. They receive millions from the government for immigration work. Does this really not affect their views?

I have heard Catholic priests and bishops say pretty much the same thing, in fact I suspect if one looked hard enough at the good Cardinal, one could probably find him saying basically the same thing.

It is absolutely valid to ask whether a parish or diocese with 75% of their Catholic population being Hispanic or even illegal might be motivated by that fact.

Steve Bannon a Catholic is at liberty to object to a bishop’s political opinion on immigration. Steve Bannon falls into error when he makes the false claim that the “Catholic Church has economic interest in unlimited illegal immigration”.

The Cathoilc Church will always come to the defense of the alien, illegal or not, including illegal aliens who are enemies to the Catholic Church. Pope Frances actions today proves this.

The Catholic Church has no business in interfering with what belongs to the Caesars. Only that which belongs to God.

There is a misconception portrayed in the media and political forums today. That all illegal aliens abuse or take advantage of U.S citizens benefits. The existing system’s (immigration laws) in place are the blame for this, not the illegal alien. Secondly, most or if not all illegal immigrants from south of the border never wish to attain a U.S citizenship. They just want to work here and support their impoverished families. The work visa they attain, does not make them illegal aliens.

The existing immigration laws are broken and are in need of reform, now that terrorist have entered the platform of immigration, school and work visas. Thus we live in different times today.

Trump wants to build a wall, not to prevent the alien who is looking for work to support his family. But to prevent illegal drug smugglers, gang members and terrorist from easy access into our borders. If this wall is ever built, one day a future President will run a campaign to tear that same wall down, after it has served it’s purpose.

The Catholic Church has no self interest in “economic interest” in illegal or legal immigration. Although, she is concerned for the personal economical situation of the sojourner, immigrant, or alien to provide a living lifestyle, where ever these can find one.

In summary to my fellow Catholic Steve Bannon. “Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and give to God what belongs to God”. If Congress and the White House administration would follow this rule, Bannon would not embarrass himself publicly and the bishop’s would go back to work and serve God’s people.

The problems affecting our societies today stem from the Caesar’s or Governments have taken on the roll of the Church. Providing education, then removing God and prayer from the classroom, providing health care and food to the poor, and then making laws which poor people are eligible to receive these benefits. My list goes on and on.

Peace be with you

It is valid to ask the question. It is not valid to assume the answer is yes.

So what is the Catholic response to those who are in this country illegally?

For both reasons of practicality and charity, we can’t kick all of them out.

And there are obvious downsides to unrestricted, undocumented, unaccounted immigration.

So what do we?

Has any Church figure laid out a possible plan of action?

Leviticus 19:33-34
“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God"

Sorry, but there is not a single spot in the Bible that says Illegal Immigration is wrong.

Illegal Immigration is often because people want a better life, want to work hard and especially because families want to be safe, and together.

What’s the original Hebrew meaning of the word “sojourn”? Because in English, it means temporary stay, visit, etc.

Jennifer Rubin, conservative commentator, for the Washington Post writes:
“Second, Stephen K. Bannon, President Trump’s ex-chief strategist and leader of the so-called alt-right, attacks the Catholic Church for defending “dreamers” who have been protected by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. (You know, “You shall not oppress a stranger, since you yourselves know the feelings of a stranger, for you also were strangers in the land of Egypt …” Exodus 23:9.) He accuses the Catholic Church of defending innocent children brought here by their parents because “they need illegal aliens, they need illegal aliens to fill the churches.” He declares, “It’s obvious on the face of it.” Actually, what’s obvious is that this crowd’s claim to be defenders of the Judeo-Christian tradition is as phony as Trump’s foundation. With corrupt motives and disdain for those people who act according to a moral and/or religious tradition, they declare “winning” and wealth to be the means by which we judge our fellow man. This is now the spirit that animates the so-called values voters — the right-wing evangelical crowd that dominates the GOP. Instead of self-reliance, work ethic and concern for the most vulnerable, they preach the gospel of white grievance.”

Sorry, I used the wrong translation.

This is the NIV Translation of Leviticus 19:33-34
33 “‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. 34 The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God."

And here is the NSRV, The translation used by many Catholic Schools.
33 When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. 34 The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Is it the Church’s job to propose remedies? I’m an outsider, but I would imagine the Church views its role as pointing out the moral hazards of certain strategies.

The reality is that you’re dealing with economic migrants, which has been what people have been doing for thousands of years. True, the borders are a bit more firmly drawn, but the draw of a large, stable, vibrant economy has always been irresistible to those whose homeland does not offer that stability and prosperity. It is a natural human condition. It’s what drove Europeans to the Americas, what drove Americans to the West, what even drove them to seize large portions of their nearest Latin American neighbor.

The real solution is, of course, to improve the economies of the Latin American countries, to raise those peoples’ living standards, so that the United States no longer represents such an improvement. Of course, the sort of nativist trade policies of the likes of Steve Bannon would have the exact opposite effect, depriving those countries of easy access to American markets, thus continuing that severe economic imbalance which makes the United States so very attractive to immigrants legal and illegal.

Whatever Bannon and his ilk imagine the problem to be, their solutions are the precise opposite of what would work. It was understood in the 1990s as NAFTA and other Western Hemispheric trade accords were built or imagined that trade and a sharing of the fruits of economic wellbeing were the very key to stabilizing the poorer nations in the Americas, but sadly that has waned in favor of a selfish isolation and nativist attitude exemplified by defining new classes of undesirables, and building high walls to keep them out, and to throw them over.

The real irony here is that some Catholics seem to approve of this view. Considering that immigrants from Catholic nations were at one time treated with equal fear and dislike as Latin Americans are now, you would think you would find a good deal more understanding and mercy, as the descendants of a previous generations of persecuted minorities see the same downtrodden simply trying to partake of America’s vast riches to better their own lives.

It is for these reasons why I often don’t vote for some Catholic Politicians in Elections, and why I avoid the Conservative and Republican Parties as much as I can.

As long as they hold this evil stance on Immigration, I cannot support them.

Does the idea of national border and laws fit in with Catholic morals or is every nation supposed to open borders to everyone who asks?

So you support the other party?

Catholics are called to Love Others, and as Leviticus says, welcome People.

Catholic Beliefs are very clear.

We must welcome those in need with open arms.
Illegal Immigrants are in need, and many DREAMers are going through College and University, Trying to provide for their Families and be productive for their new Home.

I think that likely misrepresents both the Church’s position, and the positions of those wishing to help illegal immigrants.

Millions of immigrants, many without any kind papers at all, have flooded into the United States during its history. The US didn’t slide into the sea when over one and a half million Irish, some with nothing more than the clothes on their backs, flooded in to save themselves from starvation. And the precise same anti-immigrant rhetoric was invoked. Back then the battle lines were pretty clear, dubious Papists with their alien ways were going to swamp God-fearing Anglo-Saxon Protestant America. Italians and Orthodox Christian Eastern Europeans were also accused of the same evil plot to destroy America. That’s not even counting peoples from Asia, where stories of the Yellow Hoard that would see upstanding white Protestant Americans taken over by Chinese and their strange, alien ways.

I imagine if I dug deep enough, I could also find news reports of evil Irish, Italian, Ukrainian, Chinese and other immigrants raping locals, and committing other crimes. Fox News is hardly the first to use claims that somehow immigrants are lawless subhumans out to pervert our culture.

His post 100% Defies the Church’s Teaching.

There is no one unambiguous “Catholic” response to this issue. The Church teaches principles, but it is up to the laity to decide how to live out those principles.

The Church is a lot like scientists! You can lead a horse to water, but it’s up to the horse to take a drink :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.